I would like to know how goodor bad a tract Toric scope is

You guys have pretty well nailed the Tract scopes. I used mine over the weekend, and I must retract what I posted earlier. The controls are not stiff at all. Must have been another scope. Haven't shot that rifle in a while. Winter weather and then COVID. Try not to let that happen again.

Has anyone compared Maven optics with Tract? When I checked out the Tract scope at their distribution center, I was slightly let down, as post #26 put it, things didn't pop. I was hoping for a view closer to German optics with the Schott glass. I purchased anyway, there is a lot to like on it's price point.

I tend to like Maven stuff a bit better...

For what it is worth ...

Maven optics made in Japan.JPG

I was told that a lot of manufacturers claim they use Schott glass but only on some of the multiple lenses in an optic, generally the smaller ones like the eyepiece. So while it is true they do use Schott glass, it is not entirely made of it.

I was told that a lot of manufacturers claim they use Schott glass but only on some of the multiple lenses in an optic, generally the smaller ones like the eyepiece. So while it is true they do use Schott glass, it is not entirely made of it.
Thanks

And you claim this from what source?

I would not doubt that some mix and match happens. I don't know if Tract would do it but Schott glass can mean several things.

Schott is famous for their borosilicate glass which is nice but I bet the Japanese and even Chinese can do plain borosilicate nearly as well if not as well as Schott. The expensive stuff that can change the optical design of the scope is the high and low dispersion glass. Not every lens needs high or low dispersion glass so if it's a plain borosilicate lens using Schott glass, that would be deceptive marketing. I know Schott has opened a glass foundry in China and there are differences between China Schott and Europe Schott. I bet Tract is using China Schott but it is either everything or they are using it for the high and low dispersion lenses.

Either way, my Tract Toric 30mm has nice glass.

I might be buying one of their 34mm scopes soon. I might go for one of Sig's new BDX models, I'm still up in the air, i want an ELR capable BDX scope but i also like good glass, if the Sig glass isn't a step up from first generation BDX, I'll probably buy the Tract.

I talked to them before being my Toric 30mm and asked about the glass. They told me Schott glass from Japan. BTW sighted in and set zero stop on my scope yesterday, like it and like the feel and operation of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.