I would like to know how goodor bad a tract Toric scope is

I used one on a camp gun in Kyrgyzstan. Glass was good. I didn't dial it as it was "set for the load" and I could use the retical. It was missing the illumination cover...but did not seem to bother it--glass was clear--but would not consider it stellar. It had to weigh over 2 lbs because the little tikka probably weighed 9lbs with it...and Tikkas are light....all in all it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 249
You are right, they are LOW with Schott glass. I just grabbed up the 4-20x, but haven't mounted it yet because the Covid-19 ridiculousness has my FFL shut down.

The reticle and lift up turrets remind me quite a bit of my Vortex Razor HD II with the EBR7C. I wish that the turrets offered a little more resistance when you lift them to turn them, they seem to pop up and down fairly easily. Clicks are solid. Glass seems to be good, but I have only tested it indoors. Definitely built like a tank, maybe not Steiner tough, but pretty respectable and a tad hefty. Fit and finish are excellent.

I would say there is probably nothing else in that immediate price range with the same complete resume of features and magnification. I was looking at the Viper PST Gen II but it is made in the Philippines with no name glass. I use to own a Nightforce SHV F1 and was underwhelmed, it lacked the fit, finish, reticle option, and glass clarity of the Toric (at least in my eyes). I also owned a Steiner P4Xi which was closer but lacked the magnification and had SCR reticle which is too thick for an FFP scope.

If you are looking for something a little lighter the Element Optics Nexus line is a bit more expensive. They are also made by LOW, but I am not sure who makes the glass. The reticle has a larger center dot which would be advantageous for hunting but still give you the subtensions and hold overs of a Christmas Tree.

Last edited:
I don't own a Tract optic, but the fact that they are willing to divulge where their product is made says a lot about the company. Too much of the optics world is coming out of China as far as I'm concerned.

I don't own a Tract optic, but the fact that they are willing to divulge where their product is made says a lot about the company. Too much of the optics world is coming out of China as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed! Sadly, it is not only optics. I long for the time that we start seeing Made in the US products again.

ADDED:

When I asked it it was OK to share his response ...

TRACT made in Japan transparency.JPG

Last edited:
You are right, they are LOW with Schott glass. I just grabbed up the 4-20x, but haven't mounted it yet because the Covid-19 ridiculousness has my FFL shut down.

The reticle and lift up turrets remind me quite a bit of my Vortex Razor HD II with the EBR7C. I wish that the turrets offered a little more resistance when you lift them to turn them, they seem to pop up and down fairly easily. Clicks are solid. Glass seems to be good, but I have only tested it indoors. Definitely built like a tank, maybe not Steiner tough, but pretty respectable and a tad hefty. Fit and finish are excellent.

I would say there is probably nothing else in that immediate price range with the same complete resume of features and magnification. I was looking at the Viper PST Gen II but it is made in the Philippines with no name glass. I use to own a Nightforce SHV F1 and was underwhelmed, it lacked the fit, finish, reticle option, and glass clarity of the Toric (at least in my eyes). I also owned a Steiner P4Xi which was closer but lacked the magnification and had SCR reticle which is too thick for an FFP scope.

If you are looking for something a little lighter the Element Optics Nexus line is a bit more expensive. They are also made by LOW, but I am not sure who makes the glass. The reticle has a larger center dot which would be advantageous for hunting but still give you the subtensions and hold overs of a Christmas Tree.
Asian manufactured scopes have recently been able to get Schott glass because Schott opened a factory in China or another Asian country.

It is good glass but I doubt they just shipped all of their IP to China. The German version of Schott glass probably makes higher grades of glass for $$$ European optics manufacturers.

I don't think the Schott glass in a Toric means as much as people give it credit for but the total package is still very very nice for the price.

Asian manufactured scopes have recently been able to get Schott glass because Schott opened a factory in China or another Asian country.

It is good glass but I doubt they just shipped all of their IP to China. The German version of Schott glass probably makes higher grades of glass for $$$ European optics manufacturers.

I don't think the Schott glass in a Toric means as much as people give it credit for but the total package is still very very nice for the price.

Interesting. I didn't know they had opened a factory there, but somehow I am not surprised. Looking through the scope, it wasn't "eye popping" the way I have had other scopes be (Steiner GS3). Obviously, objective lens diameter, tube size, glass quality, and magnifications are all contributing factors to that. All that said, I do like that they are forthright with what is going into their product. I am more willing to lean towards Schott (Chinese or otherwise) than simply the no name stuff in other brands. Time, and really using it at some distance will tell how good it actually is.

Interesting. I didn't know they had opened a factory there, but somehow I am not surprised. Looking through the scope, it wasn't "eye popping" the way I have had other scopes be (Steiner GS3). Obviously, objective lens diameter, tube size, glass quality, and magnifications are all contributing factors to that. All that said, I do like that they are forthright with what is going into their product. I am more willing to lean towards Schott (Chinese or otherwise) than simply the no name stuff in other brands. Time, and really using it at some distance will tell how good it actually is.
People say that glass quality is one thing and perscription is the other (optical design).

The way I understand it, the Japanese optical designers developed an optical design and when Tract or Bushnell want to build a scope, they start with that and then add features. For the 4-20x50, Tract chose a 5x erector, illuminated reticle, zero stop, locking turrets and Schott glass. I think the Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRTSi started from the same design but went with a 4x erector and Asian glass which is why the scope is so much longer.

I like both because I got my Bushnell from a GAP preorder for $750 but at "street" pricing, the Tract is a better value with better features.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.