how far would you shoot with a 16x scope?

gilmillan1

Hello guys,

I just got a schmid bender pmii scope that has 16x magnification. Now I am wondering, how far would you shoot deer size game with it? Its on a 300 win mag.

As far as your 300 win will accurately kill a deer. 1000 to 1200 yards anyway. Sure I would like a little more magnification for that 1200 yard shot but the 16X will do just fine if everything else is in order.

Jeff

was at the range today with 2 diff. vx-3 in 6x18 one on a 30-338 the other on a 7mmx300 win shooting clay pigeons hanging on nails at 600 to 800 yards. a deer or elk wouldn't have a chance.

As far as your 300 win will accurately kill a deer. 1000 to 1200 yards anyway. Sure I would like a little more magnification for that 1200 yard shot but the 16X will do just fine if everything else is in order.

Jeff

Ditto ^^

I don't ever go higher than 16X on a long range rifle because the field of view gets too small to spot impacts. Lately I tend to prefer 5:1 or 6:1 magnification ratio scopes with 18X-25X on the high side. I will go to a higher magnification before the shot to verify target details, then drop back down to 12X-16X for the shot. If that's not enough magnification, I'm too far away.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.