Longe Range Thoughts

Three weeks ago I was presented with a great shot at a feeding buck that I ranged at 435 three times to be sure. Longest shot I had taken prior to this was about 300. I dialed up two clicks past four hundred on the Leupold scope and put the cross hairs and little red dot on him shoulder, reconsidered and aimed at center chest. I'm shooting from a Bog deathgrip. So I was steady. Pulled the trigger and the buck flinched. *** . looked at my turret to be sure I'd dialed right and realized the wind was about10 to twelve MPH from dead left to right. Crap. Held into the wind, but now he's walking back towards the creek and off the property I'm hunting. Put the dot on front of his chest, pulled the trigger again and saw him falter, but still walking. Bolted another round and held further into the wind, at the shot he went down. When I recovered him my hunting buddy said man you're not going to like this. I hit him in the hip joint. Busted both joints and took out both arteries. I missed the last shot because he dropped out under the bullet. In my excitement to pull off the shot I didn't take into account of all the variables. I'll try those shots again, I'll just be more aware. Thank god for Hammer bullets, wish I'd had a spotter to help and remind me about the wind. I've hunted woods and green fields my whole life, long shot was under two hundred on big green fields. Even killed antelope and mule deer without having to shoot that far. but I've practiced long shots and felt confident in my shooting and equipment. But hunting this cornfield you can see a thousand yards in is a new ball game for me. But, its like my hunting friend of about fourty years says, they are not going to come over here and surrender.

Last edited:
A hunter has got to know their limitations in the field.
The problem is they don't listen. One of the biggest thing is to know your rifle and use a bullet weight that will due the job. Trying to kill elk at 500+ yds with a 6.5CM has never made much since to me. Deer and antelope that works for me.
Shot placement, and making sure your are going to hit where you aim, and taking in all the condition that have to deal with in making that shot. Anymore if I have to hurry a shot, forget it. Even with that. I have hit a lot of deer in the heart, and no blood trail. The bullet passed through the animal. I learn something over the years and it was pointed out to me also. a deer hit in the heart will. Drop in their tracks or run out to 100yrds or so. The one thing I noted and point out to me was. The deer don't spring, and they run with there head even with there back. They would kick like a mule too at times. If hit in the liver, they will run some, stop and drop their nose to the ground and back up very slowly. I have seen this with antelope too. It doesn't take much to get back to far either. I know I will hear it on the CM group.

Have a dear friend who got me into this long range stuff...did it with a creedmore and a 600yard gong. Over the past four years I"ve been practicing, reloading for better than pie plate size pattern at 100 yards. I got better rifle's and optics. Ballistic apps, the works. It didn't dawn on me til last season this friend of mine walked in all his shots on steel. Sure 1000 yard hits but they were spotted and walked in every time. Now that does me zero good hunting. I need first shot, cold bore killing hit. I have to really consider now a animal taking one step as my round is on the way. On step plus a little breeze and I'm ruined. I won't do it. If I can't get closer to make it a sure thing, I just wave to'em. As a ranch kid, I've had to put down calves, horses, bulls, and sadly a few dogs and cats. It wrecks me for weeks. It'd be the same for me to loose a wounded game animal but I think it'd be worse. -WW

On a side note I just hammered a yote yesterday at 250 on the trot with my 6.5PRC. Really liking that rifle.

Three weeks ago I was presented with a great shot at a feeding buck that I ranged at 435 three times to be sure. Longest shot I had taken prior to this was about 300. I dialed up two clicks past four hundred on the Leupold scope and put the cross hairs and little red dot on him shoulder, reconsidered and aimed at center chest. I'm shooting from a Bog deathgrip. So I was steady. Pulled the trigger and the buck flinched. *** . looked at my turret to be sure I'd dialed right and realized the wind was about10 to twelve MPH from dead left to right. Crap. Held into the wind, but now he's walking back towards the creek and off the property I'm hunting. Put the dot on front of his chest, pulled the trigger again and saw him falter, but still walking. Bolted another round and held further into the wind, at the shot he went down. When I recovered him my hunting buddy said man you're not going to like this. I hit him in the hip joint. Busted both joints and took out both arteries. I missed the last shot because he dropped out under the bullet. In my excitement to pull off the shot I didn't take into account of all the variables. I'll try those shots again, I'll just be more aware. Thank god for Hammer bullets, wish I'd had a spotter to help and remind me about the wind. I've hunted woods and green fields my whole life, long shot was under two hundred on big green fields. Even killed antelope and mule deer without having to shoot that far. but I've practiced long shots and felt confident in my shooting and equipment. But hunting this cornfield you can see a thousand yards in is a new ball game for me. But, its like my hunting friend of about fourty years says, they are not going to come over here and surrender.
I think you flinched more than the buck did. Lol. If you hit him in the hip, that wind would have to be blowing way more than 10-12 mph at that distance.

What cartridge, state, and deer breed? Just processing the situation and learning.

Just remember, one man's perfect ethical behavior is another man's perfect path to hell. That's why this is a great RULE that allows us to discuss LRH without it always degenerating into a verbal fistfight over "ethics".

"Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site."

That, and I just don't need to talk about it ad nauseum. I have never lost a deer shot with a rifle. Looking to keep that streak going.

EShortRH has taught me a lot. Like If you are not certain where you are going to hit, don't shoot yet. Learned that from Squirrels. Good lesson for ELRH.

Whitetail, about145 pounds. He was walking into the wind direction, constant wind of about ten to twelve but gusting. 120 Hammer Hunter. 7-08 right at 3100 FPS. Shot was steady. I've killed a large number of deer , several hundred over fifty plus years of hunting. This was not a deer to get excited about. Could I have been a little back, most assured, I'm not Matthew Quigley. But I have no problem hitting 16 ounce drink bottles at that distance. You can see where the blood is. He only went about 25 yards after the hit.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 47
In my shooting experience first shot hits out to 500 yards are pretty much done deal will an accurate rifle and having put in some trigger time shooting at distance. Out past 500 yards things start stacking against first shot hits. Wind, how well you have nailed down you'r ballistics, a good rangefinder that is spot on, a rifle that nails cold bore shots better side of .6MOA every time and the shooter that has honed his or her skill to a fine edge. Oh and a bullet-cartridge combo that can deliver the goods at distance. For how I like to hunt, with a rifle under 10 pounds and a traditional rifle stock topped with a scope under 20 oz's inside of 500 yards is my limit because that's about as far as I can ring a 6 inch steel reliably.

Just remember, one man's perfect ethical behavior is another man's perfect path to hell. That's why this is a great RULE that allows us to discuss LRH without it always degenerating into a verbal fistfight over "ethics".

"Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site."

That, and I just don't need to talk about it ad nauseum. I have never lost a deer shot with a rifle. Looking to keep that streak going.

EShortRH has taught me a lot. Like If you are not certain where you are going to hit, don't shoot yet. Learned that from Squirrels. Good lesson for ELRH.
đź‘Ť

Been 10-12 years ago, maybe a bit longer,,,,, a guy calls wants to know if I will mount a scope on his new Sendero. Sure, bring it by. He carries in a new Sendero in .300 Ultra Mag, a Nightforce rail, rings and scope. He allows he's "gonna' kill his buck at 1000yds this year". I didn't say a word, just did the work and took his money. As he left I thought to myself, takes more than money to make a long range shooter.