Bedding Lug on 25-06 Longe Range

9ptbuk

How important is it that I bed the front Lug on my 700 Long Range ? It has the aluminum bedding block in it . What benefits would I get by doing it ? I'm shooting sub MOA now . 25-06 doesn't have very much recoil compared to bigger calibers . Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks

Leave it be, I have a LR 7mag that I just had a trigger put in, it works well with the standard savage stock, If it aint broke dont break it

Bedding the action can never hurt the accuracy of a rifle...Unless you bed it incorrectly.

As for whether or not to do it...That's a personal choice. If you are just inside of MOA (3/4" groups), and want to try to get the most performance out of the rifle in its current configuration (possibly 1/2" or better), then I would skim-bed the whole action with DevCon, and about 2" in front of the lug where the shank of the barrel rests on the stock...Then free-float the rest of the barrel. If you do decide to bed it, make sure you use a proper release agent on the action and barrel and let it dry, before bedding it in the stock. Also let the rifle sit overnight while letting the bedding set up (12+ hours, 24 is ideal).

Bedding the action can never hurt the accuracy of a rifle...Unless you bed it incorrectly.

As for whether or not to do it...That's a personal choice. If you are just inside of MOA (3/4" groups), and want to try to get the most performance out of the rifle in its current configuration (possibly 1/2" or better), then I would skim-bed the whole action with DevCon, and about 2" in front of the lug where the shank of the barrel rests on the stock...Then free-float the rest of the barrel. If you do decide to bed it, make sure you use a proper release agent on the action and barrel and let it dry, before bedding it in the stock. Also let the rifle sit overnight while letting the bedding set up (12+ hours, 24 is ideal).

+1, I've never seen a rifle that didn't benefit from a well done bedding job. Perhaps check the inletting before bedding. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.