.25/06 bullet for long range

Jason

I live in New Zealand and am just getting my first long range rig up and running.I shoot a .25/06 and currently using 115 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3030fps. I shoot mainly feral goats which weight between 60 and 150lb, average weight would be around 70-90lbs.
The problem I am having with the Ballistic tips is that they are not expanding quickly enough.
I selected them because of their good B.C.
A friend of mine is using a .243 with 75 gr varmint bullets and is getting good knockdown butpoor penetration and often has to give a finishing shot. I don't think it would be wise to go with varmint bullets but mine seem to drill right through unless I happen to hit bone. The goats we hunt are pretty tough and sure hang on to life. Any suggestions?
Also what would be the maximum effective range with the .25/06 on such animals.
Thank you all you guys at Long Range Hunting I have learnt so much reading all the posts that I have hardly had to ask questions.

Hello Jason,
I have just recently acquired a .25-06 within the last year and haven't had a chance to do much hunting with it. However, I have had the chance to use Barnes' Triple Shock 100gr bullet in my Sendero (26" tube) for the smallish (95-150lbs) whitetail here in my home state, once! Darn motorcycle accident in Nov 03 **** near killed me!
I use 55.5gr of RL22 and Rem 9 1/2M primers and am getting around 3200fps and (really) one small ragged hole. I personally think these are the best bullets Barnes has introduced to date. I have tried the 85gr XLC (coated) in my .243 and accuracy (barely .5") is in between the TSX and original XBT (1.5" @ 100yds).
Penetration with the 100gr TSX @ 200yds was from "brown eye" to just under hide at chest. Retained weight, as measued on my Denver Analytical scale, was 99.987gr's and was a perfect mushroom. Didn't weigh it beforehand so not sure that it was exactly 100gr.
I don't have any experience with these bullets at Long Range. Not sure how they'd perform ballistic's wise at say 500-1000yds due to their monolithic design. Maybe someone else will chime in. As far as range for the .25-06 goes, I would not be scared to try 600yd shots with it and the 115gr Ballistic Tip. By the way, Sierra suggested that I use the 90gr HPBT GK for deer. I thought that was kinda small, but they say it performs flawlessly! Go figer'.
I have used a 7mm RM Sendero for almost 10yrs now for LR targets and game and have been thoroughly impressed with my .25-06. It seems to be flatter than my "big" seven, which I have semi retired until I get another tube screwed onner' (1500+ rds, mostly screaming!).
Sorry for babbling, good luck and happy hunting. Johnny K.

I've taken several Pronghorn out to 600 yds with my 25-06. And shoot steel out to 1000yds. If there is know wind you can kill anything you want with it. I suggest getting a tactical scope and start practicing dialing in your distance(0-800yds) and hitting your bullesye. Oh I also like the 115gr Nosler Combined Technolgy Bullet great BC.(.453) AND really knocks'em dead.

[ 04-13-2004: Message edited by: 308WIN ]

My 25-06 Encore likes the 100gr Nosler Balistic tips better than anything I've fed it , it groups great out to 400yds which is as far as I've shot it.
I wanted to shoot the 115gr bullets but added BC over the 100gr diden't make up for the loss of accuracy , this gun won't be used for shooting over 400yds anyhow.

I used to use a 25-06 Ackley IMP. for several yaers...used a Berger 115 VLD with Reloader 22...shot whitetail deer out to 800 yards...this is a great bullet...jacket is kinda soft j4 but kills really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.