Long Range Reticle Thread

My likes are different depending on use. I like the Vortex EBR2-c and EBR2-d in my rifles that I use primarily for target shooting, but I prefer a simpler reticle in hunting rifles, and certainly one that is not to thin to pick up against varying backgrounds. I can say that I have never really used hold-overs and hold-offs for windage at the same time, unless I'm forced to. Most of the time, I dial for elevation and hold for wind, so a reticle that concentrates those subtensions into the center of the scope and doesn't take occupy all quadrants of the viewing area is what I prefer. I see it as an optic for seeing first, and aiming second. Reticle that occupy all quadrants of the scope, while still useful aren't optimal to me. Below is a Burris Ballistic E3 as an example of what I'm saying. I should also qualify that if I am hunting and the winds are north of 20 mph or so, I am not going to take a shot beyond 400-500 yards, so having subtentions across the whole horizontal line of the scope isn't helpful. This is just an example of what I like. There are others.

I thought I would take a minute and comment on what I don't like in certain reticles:
1. I really don't see the value in the verticle subtentions extending above the centerline at all, but if they do, not more than 1 or 2 moa. The rest just diminish the clear viewing area.
2. I hate scopes with subtensions that do not have values assigned to them. Even SFP scopes subtensions are accurate at a single magnification setting, and should be marked as such, my opinion. This is especially true where the subtensions vary in spacing. Seems way to gimmicky to sell a scope that is supposed to have a long range reticle set to a specific cartridge, amd expect it to be useful across a wide range of bullets/environments/velocities.
3. I'm growing to dislike any scope that has an open center, meaning no small dot or + to delineate the ce ter of the center.

Forgot to add the pic of the style I like for hunting. Here is is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_061406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_061406_Chrome.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 151
Anyone familiar with the Quigley-Ford DFP dual focal plane scope ?
It superimposes a ballistic FFP reticle with a regular cross-hair SFP reticle.

I have several that most here may not consider long ranges. I don't have areas to shoot over 700 yards. But II find that 3-15 powers are more than adequate at that distance.
My first longer scope was a cheap Vortex Diamondback 6-24 FFP EBR-2C reticle. It's not illuminated but I still like that reticle.
Next I purchased a Vortex PST II 3-15 FFP Mils EBR-2C Illum.
I have only recently purchased another Vortex. It's a Razor HD LHT 3-15. It's also in Mils but it's an SFP reticle. I haven't used this one yet but I like the clarity of the glass and the reticle.
I have a NH8 but I don't like it and in my opinion it's not as good as my Leupold Mark5HD FFL Illume TMR M5C3.