Long Range Reticle Thread

This has been an interesting read. It seems personal preference on reticles is as varied as everything else in the world of shooting and hunting. I guess it comes down to purpose and what you are comfortable with using. As with anything in the optics world there are compromises that come into play.

I like the Swarovski brh for the hunting I do it works great for me.
IMG_6127.png

I couldn't seem to find a thread that showed various long range reticles in one thread, so I thought I would start one.

This may benefit someone looking to purchase a new scope with popular long range reticles.

Please post your favorite reticle that you use on your long range rifles.

The MOAR(T) is my favorite hands down. I have a standard MOAR in an NXS and two MOAR-T in ATACR's.

View attachment 528794

Other Nightforce reticles: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/reticles/second-focal-plane/minute-of-angle-moa-second-focal-plane/
I use the NF MOAR F1 in 3 NX8's

I'm primarily an eastern woods hunter where SFP seems to provide the best use case when there is limited time to acquire the target. Ranges can be very short to 400+ yards in clear cuts. Illumination is very useful in darker woods. The NF MOAR CF2D has peaked my interest in the NX8 4-32. It seems to give you the correct holds at 16 and 32X. I'm still on the fence given my primary hunting grounds on FFP and personally don't like tree style reticles. Best for short range dark woods situations is the Firedot IMO.

I have an old ~2010 vintage Shepherd P310-A1 3-10x44 w. 18" circles. It has served me well to ~600yds on mule deer with a 300WM.
Glass is great imho even compared to some of the newer optics, it'll be going on my GF's 7mm08. I can range the target & tell her which circle to hold, which makes it much simpler for both of us.
If you use Strelok, the Shepherd reticle in the program will show you the exact yardage each circle represents for the ballistics of your GF's 7mm08 (2 = 201yds, 6 = 596yds).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331_192956_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_192956_Strelok Pro.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Unless your long range reticle has some type of "Christmas tree" setup for wind holds it is, IMHO, NOT a long range reticle.
My current Bushnell Elite 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope has a G3 reticle which is small enough for hunting but gives you the needed holds for wind. NO GUESSING where to hold and NO DIALING.

I'm considering buying a BURRIS Eliminator 6 scope and it has a big Xmas tree that I really like. I'll buy a Kestrel weather meter for getting accurate shooter's position wind speed (the most important wind reading) so I'll know where to hold after the onboard ballistic engine gives me a VERY accurate hold over using its many sensors and uploaded cartridge data.
Yeah, sounds too technical but use it and practice with it and you will be FAR more accurate than even using my very good Bushnell Elite with its lighted G3 reticle.