Need help with Leupold VX-1 Long Range reticle!

Pahaoa

Hi everybody,

I've got a Leupold VX-1 4-12 Long Range reticle scope, it's great except I would like to know the exact drop the range compensating dots give as I can't find details anywhere?

It has the crosshairs then 2 dots below, I just want to know in MOA how far the dots are down so I can convert into distances, any help would be appreciated guys (and girls lol) because all the Hunting shops I've spoken to would'nt have a clue...

I'm sick of owning a more expensive Reticle that I can't use lol

Cheers Kyle

Thanx for that, it has details on how wide the Mil dots are and says to sight it in at 200yds, then the 1st dot is 300yds and 2nd dot is 400yds and on to the wider bar at 500yds. But it still doesn't seem to say exactly how much drop in MOA the dots are below the zeroed crosshair, just approximate hold overs for standard trajectory rounds. I want to hit bunnies and hares so I need to be a bit more accurate..? Any other suggestions?

Your going to have to shoot it a few distances to figure it out. The reticle was designed for big game hunting and is only a "rough estimate". I have one on my 325WSM. It's bang on at 200 and 300, 2 inches low for 400 and 5 inches low at 500.

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to spend some time at my range and sight it in for the dots, got to settle on a load first but then I'll get on to it.

Thanks for the help anyways.

PA--that's why u always need to get the optics CATALOGS. Many of them detail their reticle subtensions--

4-12x LR Duplex (@12x only)=

0-1st dot=2.19 MOA
0-2=4.8
0-plex post tip=7.82

X-hair to horizontal plex post tips (windage)=5.66 MOA

dot diameters=0.71 moa

PA--that's why u always need to get the optics CATALOGS. Many of them detail their reticle subtensions--

4-12x LR Duplex (@12x only)=

0-1st dot=2.19 MOA
0-2=4.8
0-plex post tip=7.82

X-hair to horizontal plex post tips (windage)=5.66 MOA

dot diameters=0.71 moa

Hey bro! You are the man!

That info will help heaps, where is this so called CATALOG that you speak of, sounds handy...

Anyways, glad to have cleared that up, cheers everyone!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.