Long Range Hunting with Standard Duplex Reticle

Some of you folks saw my other thread about 7mmSTW vs 6.5 Creedmoor. I have 2 VX5HDs with the standard fire dot duplex reticle. My 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Tikkas both have the standard Duplex reticle and I have a belief that I need a MOA style reticle to shoot game over 400 yards.

Anyone hunt long range with a standard duplex reticle? Or is a MOA style reticle a must have for wind holds.

BTW all my scopes have MOA turrets and I intend to dial based off my loads and ambient conditions.
1894c summed it up nicely. I hunt with standard duplex reticles on some of my scopes. Like stated, with winds that are steady sustainedd push of say 8 mph you can dial windage. If you have gusts up to say 12 mph along with a steady push, then a moa reticle can be more helpful in a situation like that where the wind is variable. I can tell you this, with that stw, if you can push a 180gr bullet to 3050fps plus, wind won't be as much of an issue as that 308 or the 6.5 creedmoor at 600 yards. And almost as good as the 180gr scenario if you can push a 168 Berger or 162 eld to 3150 fps In that stw. I run a 180 eld to 3180, I told my son not to even hold for wind for shots under 500 yards unless there's a strong storm or front moving in.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.