Votes: 211 38.0%
  • 11-13lbs

Votes: 160 28.8%
  • 13-15lbs

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • over 15lbs

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
I voted 15+ as I want to be prepared for the max distance of the rifle. That distance is 1500 for one rig and well beyond that for the other. One weighs 14.8 (270 AM) and the other 19 (375 AM).

My 8.5 pound rig (338 RUM) is relegated to walk and stalk with a 800 yd limit if a solid prone position can be achieved.

I "feel" I am more consistent with the heavier straight breaking rifle at ELR even though all three rifles are of equal accuracy potential at the shooting range.

Field conditions always, to me, favor the heavier rifle. Even better if a major portion of the weight can be behind the action.

Of all the guns I've shot in my life, I'd have to say; the ones that weighed 11 lbs or more shot the most consistently precise and consistantly accurate. IME, the rifles that weigh 9 lbs ready to go don't shoot so hot, especially in 25-06 and bigger calibers. Some lightweight 6mm and 22's shot good, but not all.

Just my experiences, plenty of others may shoot better than I can, but 11 lbs with scope, rings, bipod, sling and magazine full of ammo is about the lightest I can shoot consistantly well enough for long range............What I call long range is beyond 400 up to 1/2 mile maybe 1000. Anything over 1/2 mile is ELR in my book and calls for a dedicated LR ONLY rifle that should weigh more, and 15-20# wouldn't be too much. Just my $.02.

Jeff, how much does that LRKM you've ordered weigh with a NF 5.5-22X50 and good rings.??

Of all the guns I've shot in my life, I'd have to say; the ones that weighed 11 lbs or more shot the most consistently precise and consistantly accurate. IME, the rifles that weigh 9 lbs ready to go don't shoot so hot, especially in 25-06 and bigger calibers. Some lightweight 6mm and 22's shot good, but not all.

Just my experiences, plenty of others may shoot better than I can, but 11 lbs with scope, rings, bipod, sling and magazine full of ammo is about the lightest I can shoot consistantly well enough for long range............What I call long range is beyond 400 up to 1/2 mile maybe 1000. Anything over 1/2 mile is ELR in my book and calls for a dedicated LR ONLY rifle that should weigh more, and 15-20# wouldn't be too much. Just my $.02.

Jeff, how much does that LRKM you've ordered weigh with a NF 5.5-22X50 and good rings.??

I agree with the above statement.

The LRKM will come in just under 16 lbs field ready. Still legal to hunt idaho.

Jeff

Savage 110 in 6.5 284. Weight 13.5 lbs. Viper PST 4-16x50, Stockade Prairie Dog Special. Max range about 1200 in my hands on stuff like prairie dogs, yotes and groundhogs. elk and deer sized critters i tend to not shoot past 800. shootin 140 bergers at about 2960.

I agree with the above statement.

The LRKM will come in just under 16 lbs field ready. Still legal to hunt idaho.

Jeff

The nifty thing is that Shawn was able to create a design where the overall weight was minimized AND the majority of weight is in the but.

There are different mechanics involved when the majority of the weight is on the bipod i.e., barrel heavy.

it would vary depending on how a person hunts/shoots.
in nc pa the vast majority of lr hunting is from a stationary position. the steep terrain there dosent lend itself well to prone shooting in many cases. therefore heavier guns shot from portable benches are popular. over the last 10 years or so more and more hunters there have been moving away from the 300 weatherby and simililar type cases to larger ones. at least for the longer shots. thats where the heavier gun weight is more appriciated in my opinion. if your just taking it from a vehicle and carrying it a short distance what difference does it make as to how much it weighs unless your a diehard belly shooter.
i have lr guns weighing from 12 lb to 20lb and all the way to over 30lb.
ive shot friends guns weighing over 50 lb.
i personaly prefer the heavier ones.
especially when using 300 gr bullets and about a half pound of powder.:)

The 7mag weighs 13# loaded full up, When it's time for a new barrel it's getting a Lilja #7 with fluting, right now it has a #6 strait taper unfluted, really does become a PIA to pack around after a while. I figure just the barrel swap will shed 2# which should make it much friendlier to pack without doing bad things to shootability.

Well I believe I will only talk of what I know on this, and not what I have read. I feel your 9.5 lb rifle would be pretty good to 1000 for hunting and able to hold 1 moa if it was a quality build and fit you well. And even better at your 880 yrd limit. For this rifle I would shave the weight in the scope area, and leave all I could in the barrel.

My 6 br sends 107 SMK's

Jeff

A couple followup questions then

So if I wanted the same gun above to hold 1/2 MOA what weight do you think I would have to move up to?

Also, how much weight for your 300 Win Mag to shoot 1 MOA and .5 MOA at 1000 yards?

Scot E.

A couple followup questions then

So if I wanted the same gun above to hold 1/2 MOA what weight do you think I would have to move up to?

Also, how much weight for your 300 Win Mag to shoot 1 MOA and .5 MOA at 1000 yards?

Scot E.

Well what I can tell you for sure is all my rifles will hold a 1/2 moa average at 1000 for 3 shot groups. The 300 win weighs in at 11.6 lbs in full dress with bipod, a NXS and a 28" sendero contour tube. Plus the rifle fits me very well. For a serious 1000 yard hunting rifle I don't want a lighter rifle. But then I dont want a smaller caliber either. It just is not my preference anymore. So I will suggest you find a close to caliber rifle like you want to build that is 10 lbs or so and shot a 1000 yard group and see if you like it. I would think that would be doable.

Jeff

I have an LRKM coming from Shawn and Bob and it will be my primary long range gun. It will be just under 16 lbs loaded and w/ bipod as per similar w / Broz and his. Then I still have an old 300 WBY Mark V synthetic, with a 26" Douglas Midweight barrel that was put on 20+ years ago when I rolled a horse over it packing out a bull from high in the Madison range in a rough canyon on the last day of the MT rifle season. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have put on a heavier barrel, maybe even changed caliber. It comes in at 11.6 lbs loaded with sling, with a Leopold 2.5-10 on it. Im thinking of a re-barrel and some work on it now for long range and an NXS scope also. Its a 1/2 + to 1 MOA shooter right now, for 3 shot groups but would like it to be better. I have @ 300 rounds of brass for the WBY that is all under 3 firings. So Im considering what to do with it now for a more packable long range gun. I still hike hard and long, so a packer is still in my game plan. Ive seen a few nice WBY rebuilds on the site, but not many area Gunsmiths here will work on them. I need to figure this out soon to get it back for next late summer to shoot a bunch prior to hunting season. I would also like to build a 6.5 x 284 for long range, Choices!

Andy

God, Guns, Guts and the AMERICAN FUR TRADE made the USA what it is, lets keep Em' all.

Kids that Hunt, Trap and Fish, Dont mug little old ladies! Teach em young and teach em for life!

Wish this site has "Like" button similar to the Face Book. I really enjoy this thread, so informative. Thanks to the thread starter and every body providing view and information.

First day of white tail in PA tomorrow. I have two guns set up, gonna sit all morning in the tree with my Lapua weights in @ 15.5lbs loaded. if Luck doesn't favor me I am taking the 300win for a walk cuz it's only 9.25lbs. Guess there is no one weight that works for everything. lol

I have a 338 LM that weighs in at 10 1/4 lbs without the NF 5.5-22x NSX. With the scope added this rifle still has some pretty good recoil shooting the 300 SMK's, even with it's sm Pain killer break. It makes it difficult to spot my shots, although the rifle is very accurate. The rifle has a Lijia #5 stalker barrel contour. Knowing what I know now, I would oped for at least a Sendero or #7 fluted barrel countor now. My 338 RUM has a Kreiger #8 fluted and I can spot my shots, but it's a bit heavy.

My LR rifle weighs in at 13.5 scoped. It is as much weight as I want to carry in the high mountains where I hunt.
I have envisioned another rifle, similar to my Cooper varmint rifle, or the Remmy Sendero, as an ideal LR carry rifle. My Cooper runs 10.5 lbs scoped with an IOR 6-24x50, according to the bathroom scale.
My current carry rifle is an Allen Precision that runs about 8 lbs scope with a NF 2.5-10. It has been shooting minute of marmot as far as 600 yards this fall.
Yesterday I was shooting it at 842 yards, and it was still shooting sub-moa. There may be no need for my custom Sendero after all... I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.