Best Long Range Custom Hunting Gun Maker

brentwinkey

Hey im new to this forum and it seems like this is the place to be for advise on getting into long range hunting and its equipment. Im newer to the game but have done some dabbling in it, a lil prairie dog action at 3-400 yards with my off the shelf 223 remington sps varmint with factory hornady ammo is all the long range stuff ive done on a consistant bases. Being from mn theres no long range big game action 200 yards at most. Well now that im living and workin in nd i wanna get myself a nice 30 cal big game gun, was thinkin 300 rum or 300 wby to be capable to get me another elk at some point and maybe a bear as well. I was looking for advise on a good custom rifle that i could comfortably carry around all day in the western mountians and be able to sit down at the range on the off season and do some plinking/target practice. Any adivise on a recommended gun maker/builder ect would be great. Money is not a real issue but under the 5k mark is best. Thanks Guys:D

There are a good number of "best" quality long range gun builders. I'll comment on the two I have rifles from.
Kirby Allen, of Allen Precision, is a member here on LRH. I have an 8 lb with compact Nightforce scope 270 WSM that he built. Very handy to carry around, and super accurate. I have used it to take many rock chucks between 5 and 600 yards. He is known here as fiftydriver. He has a solid reputation.
My long range rifle was built by an outfit called Quarter Minute Magnums. This is another super accurate rifle. I have used it to take a good number of 'chucks between 900 and 1200 yards, with my longest being 1332.
If you want a wicked accurate long range rifle either of these guys can do it for you.

You should also check out the rifles Len offers on this site. Just click on the long range rifles icon at the top of the page.
I haven't used these rifles, but they have a great reputation as well. Cool thing is all these rifle smiths guarantee a very high level of accuracy from their rifles.

Brent, I certainly second COBrad's suggestions, especially Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting ,Home Page. As he said there are numerous "best" gunsmiths on this forum. Another one, and one that is probably pretty near to you is Straight Shot Gunsmithing in Center, ND. He too has a stellar rep.

Good luck in you quest and dont limit yourself to just 30 caliber. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.