• 11-13lbs

Votes: 160 28.8%
  • 13-15lbs

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • over 15lbs

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
Bullet Bumper
Copy that on the F class bipods. Most of the composite stocks have an action bedding rail- usually aluminium- molded in to cinch the action down to. My Savage runs a rectangular portion of that aluminium extrusion forward to anchor the sling swivel. I wonder if its possible to advance that concept to have the hinge bolster for the bipod's legs machined out of a single piece of billet aluminium that is also the action bedding block? If it were one piece of aluminium from the tang of the action carried forward through the bipod hinge bolster it would eliminate all the problems with connections. The movement would be limited to the flex of the monoblock induced by whatever strain the rifle experienced. Not a new concept. The Art Deco Stream-liner Steam Locomotives had their frames with the steam cylinders cast in one piece to eliminate "weaving" of the metal structure. They did that to lighten, strengthen, and eliminate fatigue failures. Shed of its sand mold the frame looked like a forest of steel stumps from all the risers and reservoirs. Machined it was an elegant monolithic steel masterpiece.
Just thinking out loud.
The 375 Ruger is not my choice for a long range gun. I bought it for big bears (I call it my BB gun) and a big hammer at 1/4 mile plus. My next long range gun will be in 7mm RUM or 6.5 X 68 MS. Something overbore that will drive the new high BC hunting bullets now on the market to >3000fps.
Love to see you post a picture of your rig.

I just stumbled on this thread and happen to be struggling with a somewhat lightweight 338 Norma. The Norma weighs in at 14lbs on the nose. The poi seems to be extremely dependent on how firmly the bipod is loaded when shooting prone. Impacts can vary as much as +/- 1 moa at 1,000 yards. On the other hand my 338 edge that weights just over 16lbs will hold very tight poi with varying bipod load. The rifles are very similar in setup leaving me to believe the 2lbs of difference in weight is the culprit.

I just stumbled on this thread and happen to be struggling with a somewhat lightweight 338 Norma. The Norma weighs in at 14lbs on the nose. The poi seems to be extremely dependent on how firmly the bipod is loaded when shooting prone. Impacts can vary as much as +/- 1 moa at 1,000 yards. On the other hand my 338 edge that weights just over 16lbs will hold very tight poi with varying bipod load. The rifles are very similar in setup leaving me to believe the 2lbs of difference in weight is the culprit.
Shoot it out of a rest and see if that makes a diff. My Norma is 8 3/4 dressed. I have shot it into 6'', my practice one is about 11, and I prefer it but it has a tact type stock and jewel that is set lighter. I do my shooting off a atlas and have had friends climb into rifle and put bullet splash right close to mine at 1000. Do you have similar triggers and weight for them,same type stocks and cheeck weld and form?

Distantfoe
Sounds like a connection to the bipod is sour. sp6X6 has good advice on shooting off a rest. If the problem goes away problem found. Some stocks are prone to applying a twisting torque stress to the action when subject to load or shock. If this is the case it will be hard to track down.
I have done most of my LR field shots over my daypack w/ folded coat as a front bag. Where I hunted was loaded with stumps from clear-cut logging. The place was covered with field grade shooting benches. Having to reconsider bipods now though.

Bullet Bumper
Copy that on the F class bipods. Most of the composite stocks have an action bedding rail- usually aluminium- molded in to cinch the action down to. My Savage runs a rectangular portion of that aluminium extrusion forward to anchor the sling swivel. I wonder if its possible to advance that concept to have the hinge bolster for the bipod's legs machined out of a single piece of billet aluminium that is also the action bedding block? If it were one piece of aluminium from the tang of the action carried forward through the bipod hinge bolster it would eliminate all the problems with connections. The movement would be limited to the flex of the monoblock induced by whatever strain the rifle experienced. Not a new concept. The Art Deco Stream-liner Steam Locomotives had their frames with the steam cylinders cast in one piece to eliminate "weaving" of the metal structure. They did that to lighten, strengthen, and eliminate fatigue failures. Shed of its sand mold the frame looked like a forest of steel stumps from all the risers and reservoirs. Machined it was an elegant monolithic steel masterpiece.
Just thinking out loud.
The 375 Ruger is not my choice for a long range gun. I bought it for big bears (I call it my BB gun) and a big hammer at 1/4 mile plus. My next long range gun will be in 7mm RUM or 6.5 X 68 MS. Something overbore that will drive the new high BC hunting bullets now on the market to >3000fps.
Love to see you post a picture of your rig.

I agree with your thinking . There is so many things that have to go right that it's an engineering marvel that we can hit anything with a gun .
My gun is built kinda on your concept but the bipod is attached to a Picatinny rail adaptor and I have found that's not ideal . I think I can improve it in that area. I will take some photos with the new scope on as I have just bought a Vortex scope to replace the old Leupold .
Hoping that more powerful glass will help at longer ranges. It's night time here so I will take a photo tomorrow . I should warn you my gun does not conform to normal gun looks. It's weird looking.
Here's two photos with NV scope taken a few months back , gives you the concept .

Attachments

• front rest and rear bag.jpg
    front rest and rear bag.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Bi-pod and rear cantilever mono-pod.jpg
    Bi-pod and rear cantilever mono-pod.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 82
A bit more information, most of the poi shift is vertical.

Both rifles are running 300gr SMK's at just over 2800fps.

sp6x6 & Kennibear - The lighter of the two wears an A3 stock, and heavier an A5. The triggers are both at 12oz and are matching length of pulls. Your comment about the bipod got me thinking. The harris bipod currently on the rifle sits on a "square" area of the stock and tends to work loose rather easy. The A5 stays put with minimal tension.

I'll give the rest a try this weekend off of a table.

Bullet bumper
SO VERY COOL!!! Looks like something from the Game "Halo". The Harris appears somewhat less than the engineering effort on the rest of the gun.
Just got emails from all three of my sons (19-32-36). Got requests for three of those for Christmas presents. LOL

distantfoe
I remember trying to fit the round peg into the square hole in my misspent youth. Youngest son has a Harris he got with a 10/22 that fit the aftermarket stock (Overmolded also) that fit snug with no wiggle. He traded out for a laminated thumbhole that the Harris just would not cinch down to. The Harris is sitting on the shelf in the garage. We shoot off rests 99% of the time. But unless we can find a good portable field rest, bipods are a done deal. So all of you contributing to this thread are of an immense help and I thank you greatly for your imput. Leaning toward the Atlas at this point.

take a look at the sinclair tactical bipod, I love mine and when shooting my guns 12lbs and up the way it pulls up against the swivel stud it makes great contact. it also preloads really well so that you can spot your shots and it in my experience hasn't shifted my POI vs my rest.
gun)

With a good bi-pod costing quite a bit of money it's hard to experiment .
The Sinclair looks good but the Sierra 7 bi-pod would suit my rail and it's pricy.
The gun is over engineered but accuracy needs rigidity. I tried a much lighter hand grip and mono-pod sytem and it was too weak and flexible . My first cheek support was much lighter and it was no good as it bent under the weight of my head . The whole thing has to be as rigid as possible and the weight climbs as the groups shrink . I'm glad I never went for the heavier barrels now .
These kind of projects can consume a lot of cash and you have to draw the line some place . Annodising or Cerakote is going to be the next issue.

Attachments

• With Vortex.jpg
    With Vortex.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 99
I have heard from military friends the Bopro is a really good bipod. I have a Atlas, I have mine on Seekin SRS rail and is very solid, I have the QD plate. The throw lever is adjustable for tension

I have heard from military friends the Bopro is a really good bipod. I have a Atlas, I have mine on Seekin SRS rail and is very solid, I have the QD plate. The throw lever is adjustable for tension

On mine the lockup of the adaptor on the Picatinny rail is fine . It's the lock up between the bipod and the adaptor that needs work . I have it epoxied in place now and it should be better but have not had a chance to test it .
Also replaced the original front action screw with a tighter fitting custom made hex head . As I felt the original was too sloppy and could be allowing the front of the action to vibrate slightly with node action . Something that I can't prove or disprove but with no side support for the action it's possible .
Now I can apply 40 to 60 inch pounds with a socket torque wrench . See if it helps any.

With a good bi-pod costing quite a bit of money it's hard to experiment .
The Sinclair looks good but the Sierra 7 bi-pod would suit my rail and it's pricy.
The gun is over engineered but accuracy needs rigidity. I tried a much lighter hand grip and mono-pod sytem and it was too weak and flexible . My first cheek support was much lighter and it was no good as it bent under the weight of my head . The whole thing has to be as rigid as possible and the weight climbs as the groups shrink . I'm glad I never went for the heavier barrels now .
These kind of projects can consume a lot of cash and you have to draw the line some place . Annodising or Cerakote is going to be the next issue.

Really nice Unit, post pics as you move along.

the heaver the better, if you can carry it in.

I have a Sinclair and many Harris of all sizes. The Sinclair is sloppy and loose, it looks good, bud needs work. I have had no problems with Harris in 30+ years. I have a 16 Lb 338 Allen Mag XHS, and several other semi customs from 11 to 13 lbs. None shoot like the Allen. The weight really helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.