Best sheep/mountain gun for long range shooters

richhymas

I just got back from my first ever dall sheep hunt. It was a rough year for dall sheep in Alaska and I was one of many unsuccessful hunters this year. but I did learn many lessons. Ounces are pounds and pounds are pain. I brought along my 7.5 lb Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Long Range with a Leupold Mark V scope and my suppressor. that was definitely more weight than I prefer to be climbing 3000-4000 feet of elevation gain in scree daily for 10 consecutive days. So that brings me to my question: for those of you accustomed to having a long range capable rifle for hunting, what rifle and optic do you use when you know ounces matter. I know many of you just bring along your 12 lb gun because you are so fit you could take the bathtub along as well, but for those looking to shed weight, what factory rifles are best when balancing weight with longer range accuracy? I would like to feel comfortable shooting at a sheep or elk out to 700 yards. (I consider that medium range for shooting, but its currently my personal limit for an ethical hunting shot given the logistics of not only making the shot in the field, but also spotting and locating the game once its down).

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels, and a less than 20oz scope (I use Swaro Z5 3.5-18x), with McMillan Carbon Edge fill stock. Seekins Aluminum scope rings. Aluminum bottom metal. These items will make a notable difference in rifle weight, and still allow for 700yd shots. Of course, the rifle has to shoot!

In a factory rifle? Not sure what's out there. Custom rifles and aftermarket suppliers? There are lot of good options to be had.

If you just funded a Dall sheep hunt, a custom rifle should be no problem, financially, I suspect..

I suppose you are right. I could build something custom with a carbon barrel. Those folding stocks would be amazing for getting that gun into the pack and keeping the barrel out of the tree limbs. Especially when going through Alder's. I have a combo hunt in Canada in 2022 coming up. Moose caribou and Dall sheep. Maybe I'll build something carbon and custom for that hunt. I'll need a caliber that can handle moose and sheep. Kinda partial to the 300 win mag but I suppose any bullet 7mm or bigger would be appropriate for moose. I wish a 7mm short mag option was more popular. Lomé thing like a 6.5 PRC necked up to a 7mm, but that there is an entirely different thread.

You can talk with Seekins in regards to other chambering options for the Element.
they offer Long & Short action.
They also offer carbon barrel options.
7saum or 300 PRC would be a good one.

My Element is pretty stable shooting gun.
With the 21" barrel & the NX8 weight in the middle it just sits still & handles nothing like
The lighter, slender, pencil barreled rifles
I've owned. I'm going to also try it with a Bartlein #4 carbon barrel in the future.
86DF3F59-A540-403C-A39F-F2160E17C12C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah. That should handle the bear, and would be a decent sheep/moose cartridge.

I think 7mms are on the light duty side for moose on anything but ideal broadside shots. Seen some disappointments with 7mm Rem Mags on large moose.

I currently use the 30 Sherman Magnum. Shoots a bit faster than the 300 Win Mag. Carried a 300 Win Mag prior to that. I shoot a 200gr bullet at 3,150 fps. If you want a factory cartridge, the 300 PRC would be good. The 30 Sherman Magnum is a wildcatted 300 PRC. The shoulders blown out with a 40-degree shoulder. A bit more MV and power than the factory 300 PRC.

I used a Kimber Mountain Ascent, chambered in 7 Rem Mag, topped with a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BT on a Desert Bighorn Hunt in Mexico February of this year. Works well for Sheep, but if Moose are in the equation, I'd build a Custom 30 Sherman Mag to your liking and taste 👍🏻

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels, and a less than 20oz scope (I use Swaro Z5 3.5-18x), with McMillan Carbon Edge fill stock. Seekins Aluminum scope rings. Aluminum bottom metal. These items will make a notable difference in rifle weight, and still allow for 700yd shots. Of course, the rifle has to shoot!

In a factory rifle? Not sure what's out there. Custom rifles and aftermarket suppliers? There are lot of good options to be had.

If you just funded a Dall sheep hunt, a custom rifle should be no problem, financially, I suspect..
Cooper model 92 only 5 3/4 of a pound with a leupold scope way less that 7lbs

I suppose you are right. I could build something custom with a carbon barrel. Those folding stocks would be amazing for getting that gun into the pack and keeping the barrel out of the tree limbs. Especially when going through Alder's. I have a combo hunt in Canada in 2022 coming up. Moose caribou and Dall sheep. Maybe I'll build something carbon and custom for that hunt. I'll need a caliber that can handle moose and sheep. Kinda partial to the 300 win mag but I suppose any bullet 7mm or bigger would be appropriate for moose. I wish a 7mm short mag option was more popular. Lomé thing like a 6.5 PRC necked up to a 7mm, but that there is an entirely different thread.
Who are you going with in 2022 I am going on a dall sheep hunt as well.

I missed the part that your going to Canada I'm going to Alaska.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.