Best long range mountain rifle with box magazine?

lifesupport4u

I want to buy/build my ultimate big game hunting rifle.

Can anyone suggest a long range mountain rifle? I want something in 7 mag that has a flush box magazine. I prefer the stocks similar to Bell and Carlson sporter stocks.

I like Remington 700s because they are easy to customize with triggers and stocks.The hang up is I really would like a flush mount box magazine.

I am hoping the rifle will be around 7lbs so that eliminates heavy barrels and overmolded stocks.

I am considering the X-bolt but have heard mixed reviews on the "feather trigger" and it does not appear aftermarket triggers are readily available.

I have about $1200 budgeted for a Leupold VX-6 3-18 to top it.

Thanks for the help.

I would take a good look at tikka t3. 90* bolt, action like glass, decent trigger, light, accurate, and would leave plenty of room for a decent scope per your budget. Put your hands on one and you fall in love w/ how smooth it cycles.

The stocks are meh, but functional. I have a 22-250 and I painted the stock w/ fleck stone paint then finished it off w/ a satin clear coat. It looks good for a cheap factory stock. I can't remember off the top of my head what my groups are like, but I know they are sub 0.5"@ 100.

I had a bad experience with a junky savage. Sent it back once at my expense and they didn't fix a light strike issue so I sold it. Long story but I told them I wouldn't buy their rifles again- which is too bad because I like their 10xp... But don't trust their craftsmanship. Really I want a high quality high end rifle that will last my lifetime.

I could consider a Tikka and add the stock from B&C.

I have a Tikka T3 in 270WSM that shoots lights out. I would consider it a good mountain rifle because it is relatively light weight and it has the detachable magazine that you want. I did put a moderately heavy NF SHV scope and a 20MOA rail on the rifle which adds a bit of weight going up the mountains... but it is lighter than the NXS scopes. There are lighter options for optics but I really like NF when the shots get long.
I took this Dall at 520y one shot bang flop with hand loaded Berger bullets.
Awesome hunt.

Lifesupport, that seems to not be the norm with a Savage. Most really like how they shoot for a factory rifle. Every savage I've owned was a shooter. Favorite out to 300 was a 110 in 204, but that's a different topic. Might be time to give it another try.

Weatherby ultra lightweight rifles are pretty sweet. I have 1 in 257 weatherby but no box magazine and it is a really great carry gun for the hills

Lifesupport, that seems to not be the norm with a Savage. Most really like how they shoot for a factory rifle. Every savage I've owned was a shooter. Favorite out to 300 was a 110 in 204, but that's a different topic. Might be time to give it another try.

Yep!

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=201[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA[/ame]

7 mag. Box magazine. 26 inch barrel. No savage. Long range capable rifle with 5 shot sub MOA is what I want.

And I am willing to pay for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.