Best sheep/mountain gun for long range shooters

I hunted many years in AK with my 1952 FN 270 barreled action in maple stock I shaped/checkered...7.5 lb sub MOA. Took Dall sheep, caribou, moose with one shot ea, most within 300 yds. In my 70s now so no more mtn 65 lb backpack hunts with old school clothes. All the new modern light weight equipment is amazing though. My satisfaction came from the whole experience, due diligence on area, hand loading both 130, 150 Nosler Partitions, practicing at the range, and often not firing a shot in 7 days if no larger set of horns was seen. Took both sons on many trips passing along the principles.
Probably the wrong place for these comments, but I love all the discussion on light rifles and load development because I always strived for that.

Attachments

• 20200913_131529.jpg
    20200913_131529.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 126
  • _20180116_083723.JPG
    _20180116_083723.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 122
Maybe. Hopefully I do not infuriate a grizzly bear. Not sure there are many pack rifles that would not be underpowered if a griz was charging, considering I could even unpack my rifle and have it on target before it arrived. I am just an AZ boy and probably a little naive on grizzlies; our black bears drop a little easier.

Infuriated is written into the DNA of some grizzy bears, much more so than black bears. Some view us as an easy food source. Others maul, maim and/or kill in the normal order of their life. Don't make the mistake of presuming they possess a conscience. They have their own priorities, which is along the line of opportunistic predator.

If you are going guided you don't need to worry about Stopping bears. The guide will take care of that. If you plan to shoot a bear or moose I would say .284" or bigger. Many excellent 7mm options in a short light configuration- 7 SAUM, 7 SS, 7 WSM, 280/AI .284 win, 7-08, shoot a 180 gr bullet and kill anything, 140-160 class for velocity.

my experience with light rifles is too much recoil. No brake and no can is lighter, so smaller calibers shoot way better for me! No way I would go with a 30 cal on a sub 6lb rifle

If you are going guided you don't need to worry about Stopping bears. The guide will take care of that.

No way I would go with a 30 cal on a sub 6lb rifle

No way I would go sub 6lb rifle. Not necessary, and a handicap on longer shots, as in 700yds.

Another reason to go 30 cal... Better odds you'll actually kill your animal, rather than your guide finishing it after you fire the first wounding shot.

As to relying on your guide to keep you alive, a local assistant guide shot his client in the back of the head while attempting to finish a wounded brown bear. Client died instantly. Bear ran off and disappeared in the alders. So put your life in the hands of your guide at your own risk, and potential peril.

I hunted many years in AK with my 1952 FN 270 barreled action in maple stock I shaped/checkered...7.5 lb sub MOA. Took Dall sheep, caribou, moose with one shot ea, most within 300 yds. In my 70s now so no more mtn 65 lb backpack hunts with old school clothes. All the new modern light weight equipment is amazing though. My satisfaction came from the whole experience, due diligence on area, hand loading both 130, 150 Nosler Partitions, practicing at the range, and often not firing a shot in 7 days if no larger set of horns was seen. Took both sons on many trips passing along the principles.
Probably the wrong place for these comments, but I love all the discussion on light rifles and load development because I always strived for that.

I agree, you do not need a cannon to take down larger game at distance. Once you learn the load you are shooting, the better shooter you can be. The .270 WSM is a formidable round, and will work more than most give it credit for...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.