Best sheep/mountain gun for long range shooters

We have 2 Rifles Inc Strata by Lex Webebernick. They weigh about 5 lb 4oz bare. With Talley rings, Leupold 3-18 VX6HD, full box and sling they come in right at 7 lbs

One is a 270 and it shoots 150 gr Nosler ABLR 3000 fps about 1/2". I don't like ABLR for hunting so it is loaded with 129 LRXs at 3175 fps that group under 3/4"

the other is a 300 Weatherby and it shoots the 175 gr LRX under 3/4" at 3200fps. The 175LRX should handle about anything. This gun is NP3 coated.

I know the light gun concerns about long range shootings but with proper technique we have no problem at 800 yards.

I would like to put a Gunwerk Clymer or Proof Research Summit through its paces.

Light weight guns like the Kimber Mountain Ascent is very hard to build, and great calibers available even for an unfriendly Grizzly.
You would be very hard pressed to build anything in this weight,the components are not available as far as I know.
Brown Kevlar pounder and McMillan Edge stocks and Leupold scopes can knock off weight from factory rifle setups.
bb

Light weight guns like the Kimber Mountain Ascent is very hard to build, and great calibers available even for an unfriendly Grizzly.
You would be very hard pressed to build anything in this weight,the components are not available as far as I know.
Brown Kevlar pounder and McMillan Edge stocks and Leupold scopes can knock off weight from factory rifle setups.
bb

I've found Stocks/Actions on eBay, but no Barrels. I had contemplated building something with said stuff; but a PROOF Barrel

Richhymas,

Glad you had the opportunity to hunt Alaska. Sorry you didn't get your Dall sheep! Maybe next time?
I think all the lighter rifles and kit are great suggestions...here comes the but: Why set up the Straw Man " I know many of you just bring along your 12 lb gun because you are so fit you could take the bathtub along as well, but...." Buying the lighter gear costs money but really doesn't do squat for the rest of your life or even really the pain and suffering on your next hunt or in the future. Unless you have a real medical condition that precludes you from doing yourself a BIG favor for the rest of your life...spend some money on a good Personal Trainer and get in the best condition you can!
Advice from a very soon to be 72 year old who is giving you and the rest of you readers the best advice ever.

Run on all 10 cylinders not 2 or three into your seventies!

Be doubly Blessed get in shape!

This guy hit the nail on the head. I think the forum should have a rule that in order to post a "lightweight rifle" thread you have to post photos of yourself so we readers can best decide where you need to shave weight.

For those of us not being injected with exogenous testosterone (unless under the direction of a competent physician of course) and who succumb to the effects of gravity and thinner air at higher elevations, I get the lighter rifle question. As long as you don't build something like a 7 lb 300 WM you can shoot a light rifle with great accuracy. Anyone planning a long hike has to balance what he/she is capable of relative to needed supplies/components. My light rifle duo consists of a 25 and 6.5 CM. The 6.5 fires the 156 EOL at 2790 and the 25 CM is at 2975 with the 131 Blackjack. Both have plenty of juice for a 700 yr shot and weigh under 8 lbs scoped. I took them both out yesterday in preparation for this hunting season and both were on the 1000 yard plate first shot utilizing the Sig Kilo 2400. Using the new synthetic stocks and lighter quality scope options, it's not hard to build or buy a light rifle that shoots great. CF wrapped barrel is a great option for lighter rifles but these are lighter steel profiles.
2827AAB1-20F5-40E6-97DA-B1B0151C3D3F.jpeg

For those of us not being injected with exogenous testosterone (unless under the direction of a competent physician of course) and who succumb to the effects of gravity and thinner air at higher elevations, I get the lighter rifle question. As long as you don't build something like a 7 lb 300 WM you can shoot a light rifle with great accuracy. Anyone planning a long hike has to balance what he/she is capable of relative to needed supplies/components. My light rifle duo consists of a 25 and 6.5 CM. The 6.5 fires the 156 EOL at 2790 and the 25 CM is at 2975 with the 131 Blackjack. Both have plenty of juice for a 700 yr shot and weigh under 8 lbs scoped. I took them both out yesterday in preparation for this hunting season and both were on the 1000 yard plate first shot utilizing the Sig Kilo 2400. Using the new synthetic stocks and lighter quality scope options, it's not hard to build or buy a light rifle that shoots great. CF wrapped barrel is a great option for lighter rifles but these are lighter steel profiles.View attachment 213784
That is an awesome setup you got there!

For those of us not being injected with exogenous testosterone (unless under the direction of a competent physician of course) and who succumb to the effects of gravity and thinner air at higher elevations, I get the lighter rifle question. As long as you don't build something like a 7 lb 300 WM you can shoot a light rifle with great accuracy. Anyone planning a long hike has to balance what he/she is capable of relative to needed supplies/components. My light rifle duo consists of a 25 and 6.5 CM. The 6.5 fires the 156 EOL at 2790 and the 25 CM is at 2975 with the 131 Blackjack. Both have plenty of juice for a 700 yr shot and weigh under 8 lbs scoped. I took them both out yesterday in preparation for this hunting season and both were on the 1000 yard plate first shot utilizing the Sig Kilo 2400. Using the new synthetic stocks and lighter quality scope options, it's not hard to build or buy a light rifle that shoots great. CF wrapped barrel is a great option for lighter rifles but these are lighter steel profiles.View attachment 213784
Those are great looking rifles, I do love my 25 creeds, have a few. But I'm questioning your component list to get under 8# w/o pencil/carbon barrels and titanium actions. I've built several lightweights and never had a scoped setup with a factory action under 8#.
JCS tactical: 35oz
Rem700sa/trigger: 34oz
Dbm/mag: 7oz
26" #3 barrel(to get 2975 w/ 131 ace)48oz
Scope/tallys: 18oz
That's almost 9#

If yoh have a secret to build lightweights on cheap actions I'm all ears!

For those of us not being injected with exogenous testosterone (unless under the direction of a competent physician of course) and who succumb to the effects of gravity and thinner air at higher elevations, I get the lighter rifle question. As long as you don't build something like a 7 lb 300 WM you can shoot a light rifle with great accuracy.

My light rifle duo consists of a 25 and 6.5 CM. The 6.5 fires the 156 EOL at 2790 and the 25 CM is at 2975 with the 131 Blackjack. Both have plenty of juice for a 700 yr shot and weigh under 8 lbs scoped.

Very nice rifles, but maybe underpowered when facing a charging grizzly bear.

Those are great looking rifles, I do love my 25 creeds, have a few. But I'm questioning your component list to get under 8# w/o pencil/carbon barrels and titanium actions. I've built several lightweights and never had a scoped setup with a factory action under 8#.
JCS tactical: 35oz
Rem700sa/trigger: 34oz
Dbm/mag: 7oz
26" #3 barrel(to get 2975 w/ 131 ace)48oz
Scope/tallys: 18oz
That's almost 9#

If yoh have a secret to build lightweights on cheap actions I'm all ears!
I am not sure you can see the scale but it is 7 lb 14oz. These are pencil barrels but are very accurate. No way to achieve this without a pencil barrel and a light scope using a 700 action. The VX5HD only weighs 19oz. I use 45.8gr RL26 in the 25 CM to get 2975 from a 22" barrel. Lapua SRP brass.
2B849DC7-F571-452E-8DAD-7CB3C40BA256.jpeg
I am

I am not sure you can see the scale but it is 7 lb 14oz. These are pencil barrels but are very accurate. No way to achieve this without a pencil barrel and a light scope using a 700 action. The VX5HD only weighs 19oz. I use 45.8gr RL26 in the 25 CM to get 2975 from a 22" barrel. Lapua SRP brass.
View attachment 213788I am
I can see an eh1 w/ #1 barrel at 22" and bdl setup getting there. I'll have to try rl26 in my 25 creed. It does well in my 6.5 but everyone says it doesn't perform in the 25. However your results tell a different tale, I'll have to test! I have been using alpha and peterson brass srp brass. Thanks for the heads up, I was running my numbers hypothetically and wasn't trying to insult your builds they look to be excellent rifle. I've built a lot of rifles, and getting them them to be lightweight with long range barrels and stocks always seems to require titanium and lots of carbon, also concurrent with very expensive!

Very nice rifles, but maybe underpowered when facing a charging grizzly bear.
Maybe. Hopefully I do not infuriate a grizzly bear. Not sure there are many pack rifles that would not be underpowered if a griz was charging, considering I could even unpack my rifle and have it on target before it arrived. I am just an AZ boy and probably a little naive on grizzlies; our black bears drop a little easier.
I can see an eh1 w/ #1 barrel at 22" and bdl setup getting there. I'll have to try rl26 in my 25 creed. It does well in my 6.5 but everyone says it doesn't perform in the 25. However your results tell a different tale, I'll have to test! I have been using alpha and peterson brass srp brass. Thanks for the heads up, I was running my numbers hypothetically and wasn't trying to insult your builds they look to be excellent rifle. I've built a lot of rifles, and getting them them to be lightweight with long range barrels and stocks always seems to require titanium and lots of carbon, also concurrent with very expensive!
No problem. I won't be offended on a website. A little more information on RL26, not to derail the thread. My PRS rifle is a 25 CM running 46.5gr at 3050 from a 27" barrel and is going on 1500 rounds and still very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts