Long range all around western rifle

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys
Bergara HMR.

TIKKA T3X

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...d&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=485262

SAKO vs TIKKA BOLT
TIKKA MADE BY SAKO

I LIKE TIKKA'S BOLT - EXTRACTOR (R)

6834594140_c779b83e60_b.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I think whatever you get will work, since I also think once you get out and start shooting it you'll probably reassess your max range. 7 mag is a great cartridge. I would recommend whatever you buy comes with a threaded muzzle so that you can affix a brake/suppressor once you get load worked up/selected. I'd recommend that this thread pitch is 5/8-24. Most browning sporters are 13.5x? And it limits your options. Ive got a Winchester extreme weather I'll be shipping to thunder beast for their face mount brake.

I just finished dialing a friends Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 WM. Super accurate with my handloads. That's a 6 shot group, the one low shot was me rushing and upper left is a different load. 178 ELD-X running just under 3100 FPS with IMR4451. He bought this brand new on Gunbroker for $700 and it has the adjustable cheek weld and the muzzle break you can turn on or off. Also has the accutrigger and accustock. He did a homemade rattle can KUIU camo on it.

image.jpg

2D7F1B25-AD6D-4C15-B188-7E2029940124.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys
I don't think 7mmRM has enough umph left at 1000 yards for me to be comfortable taking something as large as elk. This sounds like a good excuse, to me, to buy a 338 Lapua. That cartridge will get the job done.

For the game that you've written, at the distances you've written, don't know if it's available in the Browning, but I'd take a close look at the
300 PRC

I can reach out a long way with my 7 mag and 7 STW but for a big body like an Elk I would probably go 300wm at 1000 and beyond. And 338 beyond 1000 is a done deal. I fugure Jerry Sheppard my buddy whos a TRUE long range hunter will chime in. Its definately his thing.

Well I guess it is time to add my two cents worth of my opinion. I don't like belted cases. More importantly, I think you have a much more versatile rifle in any of the big 30's. Usable bullet weights down to the 125-130 grain up to 230-250 grain for elk and big bears.
Recoil is directly attributable to bullet weight and velocity. Bigger bullet more velocity equal more recoil. Which brings us to muzzle brakes. I had the fortune of finding a gunsmith that made an incredible muzzle brake. On my 338 Edge the recoil is very similar to my 30-06. On my 300 RUM the muzzle brake makes it feel like my
25-06.
I think you have an excellent excuse to buy and use the latest, greatest whiz bang shoot forever as far as the eye can see 30, THE 300 PRC! The military says so. Just a thought.
I believe if you reload most of your choices are going to be fairly available in terms of supply. We are blessed with probably the best selection of excellent performing bullets and powders known to man.
Others have said it in this post before me. I think you should do a TON of shooting at 1000 yards, in the wind if possible, before you think you will pull the trigger on an elk way out there. The gun is capable, the heart is willing but is the actual, verifiable skill behind trigger truly able to make that ETHICAL shot on one of our most magnificent game animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.