Loading for 2 rifles... only one set of dies?

CB11WYO

Alright guys, first time I've had to think about this...

I already load for a friend's 22-250 (using a plain-jane RCBS FL die set). Another friend then asked me to load for his 22-250 also. I don't mind adjusting the seater die back and forth for each gun every time I need to load some loads, but I hate having to adjust my sizing dies more than once. :rolleyes: I like to set them up and then leave them that way for that particular rifle.

So, that in mind, am I stuck now having to buy a whole other set (can't seem to find just a "sizing" die for sale) for the 2nd buddies rifle? Could I shim the die to make up the difference between the two guns? Or would I be as well off to adjust the darn set screw/lock ring every single stinking time I reload for one or the other??

What do you guys do?

Thanks boys! :)

-Clint

Midway has a FL sizer die. Would be great if your friend would buy it for you since you are reloading for him....
RCBS Full Length Sizer Die 22-250 Remington

Looky there... Thanks!

Dang though, for $5 more we could get the 2 die set and have a dedicated set-up. I don't wanna sound like a weenie over $35 worth of stuff, just trying to save a buddy a few bucks :D ya know how it goes

In the long run probably less headache to just eat the $35 bucks and have a setup for each gun :rolleyes: Good enough

Looky there... Thanks!

Dang though, for $5 more we could get the 2 die set and have a dedicated set-up. I don't wanna sound like a weenie over $35 worth of stuff, just trying to save a buddy a few bucks :D ya know how it goes

In the long run probably less headache to just eat the $35 bucks and have a setup for each gun :rolleyes: Good enough
I make my buddies buy thier own dies if they want me to reload for them.

You could always just buy a neck-sizer die, and keep the brass seperate. But I think you would just be best for your buddy to eat the $35 and buy a new seat of dies, and just mark the dies and box seperate.

I make my buddies buy thier own dies if they want me to reload for them.

You could always just buy a neck-sizer die, and keep the brass seperate. But I think you would just be best for your buddy to eat the $35 and buy a new seat of dies, and just mark the dies and box seperate.

Yup Yup.

After seeing this thread "on paper" so to speak, that's probly the way it'll go. lightbulb

Definitely, make your buddy buy the dies! Alternatively, have just one set up and make your friends live with it the way you've got it set up. Beggers can't be choosy!

Sinclair international sells a set of Otto die shims ($15 or so) that allow you to set one die for multiple chambers. they are in .001 increments and you can put what you need under your die to change the shoulder pushback.

A set of redding competition shellholders using .002 increments will do the same thing but costs more.

I am not a bench shooter, so don't understand all the fine points, but I load for 4 .223 rifles and use the same sizer die for all 4. I use a RCBS Gold Medal Seating die that is easy to adjust. Why would you need a different sizer for each rifle? I am not the best shot in that all 4 rifles shoot in the 3's and 4's, and I don't think I am capable of any better without more practice. These loads would not win any matches, but they sure play hell with prairie dogs, and sage rats.

I am not a bench shooter, so don't understand all the fine points, but I load for 4 .223 rifles and use the same sizer die for all 4. I use a RCBS Gold Medal Seating die that is easy to adjust. Why would you need a different sizer for each rifle? I am not the best shot in that all 4 rifles shoot in the 3's and 4's, and I don't think I am capable of any better without more practice. These loads would not win any matches, but they sure play hell with prairie dogs, and sage rats.

You are lucky and that is not the norm.

Chamber dimensions can be all over the map and often what is just fine in one chamber, will not even chamber in the next. Plus is you push the shoulder back on the longest case so it will fit, you might have .010-.020 setback on the shorter case which will eventually cause case head separation.

I've seen it both ways. I have one set of dies loading both of my 270's. On the flip side I don't think my 7stw ammo would even chamber in my Dad's rifle. The 270's look like they were cut with the same reamer; even the throat is virtually identical and they are different brands. My Pop's stw is a 700 with a factory bbl.; my rifle is a semi custom with an aftermarket bbl..

If your dimensions are similar, seat a bullet for each rifle and label it so you have a pedro to setup your seater die, then use the same fl die for each. If the chambers differ by more than a couple of thou., then you need different dies for each or a shim setup. I'd go with the dies myself.

Buy a set of removable feeler gauges . Set up die for first rifle carefully measure the gap between shell holder and die. Repeat for second rifle.

Store the individual feeler gauges in the box with notes on the inside of the die box using a sharpie. All my dies are set up this way. I do not rely on the lock ring.

AZ,
interesting... hadn't thought of that one.

BountyHunter,
That's pretty much what I was thinking of, made sense in my brain anyways :)

I actually decided to make him foot the bill and get a separate set just for him.

I reload for 2- 6MM Competition Match rifles that I own. The first one is reamed 5 thou deeper, I use the Otto shims, they work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.