Using one sizing die for multiple rifles

I have the shims and the Redding Competition Shellholder and all I use now are the Competition shell holders. Once the die is setup in the press you do not have to remove the die to change the amount of shoulder bump. I'm loading for three AR15s and a bolt action .223 Savage rifle. And the Competition shell holders work great and allow the press to still cam over.

reddingshellholders_zpsa84fa472.jpg

Below the standard RCBS shell on the right and the +.004 Competition shell holder on the left. The five Competition shell holders come in .002 increments and size the case "LESS" than a standard shell holder.

Competition Shellholder Sets - Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment

I bought my Rockchucker press in 1973 and it has a little slop in the linkage and cam over eliminates any slop. This is just one reason why I prefer the Competition shell holders and have the die make hard contact with the shell holder.

That's not anything new. I've done that with some of my dies over the years.

Also marked 36 evenly spaced lines around a lock ring then moving a marked line on the die threads from one mark to the other changed the die's height in the press .002". Here's some you can download then print on label paper, cut 'em out to paste on your lock rings:

DieAdjustmentLabelonDie.jpg

Here's a site with labels you can print to label your own die lock rings:

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab170/jepp2/DieAdjustment-1.jpg

Using the Redding competition shell holders bigedp51 showed are the best thing to use to keep full length sized case headspace down to a minimum spread. .001" or better is typical.

That's not anything new. I've done that with some of my dies over the years.

Also marked 36 evenly spaced lines around a lock ring then moving a marked line on the die threads from one mark to the other changed the die's height in the press .002". Here's some you can download then print on label paper, cut 'em out to paste on your lock rings:

DieAdjustmentLabelonDie.jpg

Here's a site with labels you can print to label your own die lock rings:

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab170/jepp2/DieAdjustment-1.jpg

Using the Redding competition shell holders bigedp51 showed are the best thing to use to keep full length sized case headspace down to a minimum spread. .001" or better is typical.

Dear Bart B

I can't believe you have a common lowly RCBS die pictured above and not a Redding Type "S" bushing die.

Your image has fallen dramatically after what you said in the "Redding Type "S" dies, are they worth the extra money?' posting. You should be flogged, shot with a dull bullet and have your library card revoked. :rolleyes:

Dear bigedp51,

I have been verbally keel hauled, emotionally stabbed with sharp knives and threatened to have my NRA High Power Long Range High Master classification card burned at the stake for using RCBS dies to shoot test groups like this with unprepped full length sized WCC60 cases with neck walls having almost .002" spread holding bullets with a .003" runout fired in a SAAMI spec chamber:

20at800-1.jpg

...all because so many people think that's impossible. My image has fallen of many people's mental walls because they used poor hardware improperly installed to hang it up there.

The shooting sports are well stocked with people with misconceptions that there's not enough paper on earth to list them all.

Meanwhile, back at the question ranch, are you going to answer my query about case neck diameters when sizing and seating bullets in them? Or what accuracy David Tubb gets at 600 yards? I'll understand if you choose not to; just tell me you don't want to.

Last edited:
This has been mentioned before, but great article on using Skip Otto die shims. this allows you to use one sizing die for multiple rifles in the same caliber with varied headspacing.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/10/sinclair-full-length-sizing-die-shims/

That's a great idea.

I have been using shims under the case head (Between the case head and the shell holder).

And for bumping the shoulder I leave my die set normal, use feeler gauges in the same location
and try different thickness until I get the case to chamber like I want and then cut a shim of the same thickness and place it on the top of the shell holder between it and the case head and size.

Just another way of doing the same just not as easy.

Thanks BH I will have to order a set of them.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.