Load development for ruger American 22-250

bayoubuck

Hello guys, I'm a newbie to reloading and I'm trying to get some heavier bullets for my 22-250. All the factory ammo I can find is 55gr and with the 1:10 twist of the ruger American I'd like to shoot the 69gr sierra matchkings. Sierra says 1:10 or faster so I figured I was on the right track. I was able to find IMR 4350 on the shelves at most local stores so I'd really like to make that work.

I looked up sierras load data for 69gr mk's and it shows a range of 5 different powder charges, so I loaded 5 rnds of each charge and went shoot.

All once fired nosler brass fully prepped and sized, seated .020 off the lands. CCI large rifle BR primers.

So 35.3gr shot the best. 5rnds @ 100yds 1" group. I went up a grain and it looks like the group opened up. I went down a grain a still no improvement.

I've tried weighing the bullets for consistency, measuring all the brass for uniformity and still not getting better than a 1" group.

Is there something else I can do to improve my load or should I abandon the IMR 4350 and try another powder? Or a lighter bullet?

Go up and down .2 or .3 grains per powder load. It may close up with that change. Increase/decrease seating depth.

Beyond that, try other bullets same weight or lighter and different kinds of powder.

The lighter bullets may well be the answer if the twist rate is on the edge of being unstable for that specific bullet. Specific bullet being the operative part of that. VLD style bullets are prone to being unstable in marginal twist barrels due to their longer length.

I shoot a Savage 22-250 with a proof CF barrel, 8 twist IIRC, it shoots that 55 V-Max great. Haven't, yet, loaded heavier bullets.

Appears that the search provides many threads that discuss loads for 22-250.

I have never used that powder in my 22-250, you need to refine your steps a bit more. Like said previously, small gaps in your powder charges. I always work up a grain over book max and slowly check pressure. I would assume with a 4350 burn rate powder you will be fine when I comes to pressure.

Also can try adjusting seating depth to shrink group size. Without a chrono it's going to be tough to say that you have a good powder load.

One more comment on the twist rate/bullet part of the question.
Just because a bullet is recommended for a twist rate doesn't mean it is easy to make that shoot. The recommendations also ALWAYS says "or faster". IMO, there is a reason for that last part of the recommendation.

Good luck with you search and welcome to the dark side of rifle reloading!!! Love/hate for sure!

Last edited:
You didn't tell us about the details of your RA. I've got that caliber in the Ruger American Predator. Some of those RAs, especially the early runs, had their cheap stock pushing on the barrel. Towards the tip in weird ways. Ruger even improved the stock's internal construction to improve them after a bit. Mine is in an aftermark stock and it did make a difference.

You didn't tell us about the details of your RA. I've got that caliber in the Ruger American Predator. Some of those RAs, especially the early runs, had their cheap stock pushing on the barrel. Towards the tip in weird ways. Ruger even improved the stock's internal construction to improve them after a bit. Mine is in an aftermark stock and it did make a difference.
I have it in a MDT chassis. Didn't care for the factory stock at all.

Lead sled is a problem. They are notorious for causing scope failures. You need a front rest and sandbags.
You should be able to get the IMR 4350 to work but you need to experiment with the seating depths.
Can you elaborate I little more on the scope failures? Considering 22-250 recoil is virtually non existent. Not arguing with you at all. Genuinely interested.

Can you elaborate I little more on the scope failures? Considering 22-250 recoil is virtually non existent. Not arguing with you at all. Genuinely interested.
I've honestly never used one but I have lost count of the times that this subject has come up and almost without fail, knowledgeable shooters that have experience with the sled have said they are detrimental to the integrity of the scope. It's got to do with the recoil forces that are incurred during firing and the rifle being held solid and not being able to move a little. Someone else could probably explain it better. With a little practice, you can hold the rifle just as steady on bags.
Adjusting seating depth usually pays dividends.
Incidentally, Sierra lists IMR 4350 as "Acurracy Load" with their 69 grain hpbt in edition V manual.

I've honestly never used one but I have lost count of the times that this subject has come up and almost without fail, knowledgeable shooters that have experience with the sled have said they are detrimental to the integrity of the scope. It's got to do with the recoil forces that are incurred during firing and the rifle being held solid and not being able to move a little. Someone else could probably explain it better. With a little practice, you can hold the rifle just as steady on bags.
Adjusting seating depth usually pays dividends.
Incidentally, Sierra lists IMR 4350 as "Acurracy Load" with their 69 grain hpbt in edition V manual.
That's the reason I started with IMR 4350, that and the fact that I repeatedly saw it in stock on shelves at local stores. My little brothers 270 likes IMR 4350 as well so we had some on hand from the start.