Need help: .22-250 load development in minimum shots fired

I would use the ocw method(Optimum charge weight) method. Choose a bullet and a powder and start with your lowest starting charge weight and load one round. Add 2% and load another round add 2% and load another round. Use these for sighters/fowlers. Add .5-.7% and load 3 to 4 cartridges at that weight. Add another.5 - .7% to another three or four rounds. Continue until maximum charge weight is reached. Arrange five targets and shoot the first three to sight in at one target. Shoot one round of the next higher charge weight at the next Target. Shoot the next charge weight at the next Target and so on and then repeat. the smallest group closest to the point of aim is your OCW.

760 powder works well, 55 gr bullet is probably a little heavy for the twist. I shot a bunch of p/dogs with a Ruger 77 with 760/ 52gr sierra. a ton of fun. small live targets, lot of them. wish I still had that opportunity rancher poisoned them off.

I know that wind is a big factor in most states where you P-dog hunt but if you can get 300 yds. and under shots on a regular basis we have used sierra 40 gr. hp bullets on P-dogs up to coyotes with very good results. most 22-250 are either 12 or 14 twist factory. If you like the red mist or high flying P-dogs these are very entertaining. Never an exit on coyotes which is good in some areas. Have made shots much further under good conditions but never go out expecting that to happen.

So you might try 38 grs H380 with the lighter bullet or shoot the 60 gr Nosler partition or Hornady soft points or event the sierra 63 gr SMP with 37.5 grs of H380 goin about 3300 fps...all tack drivers in my son's rig. Varget is pretty strong in that triple deuce five oh as well. He didn't have as much accuracy/velocity out of 760.

Situation: New to me (inherited from my dad in 1991, I've never fired it) .22-250 Remington 700 Varmint mid-'80s vintage, new Riton RT-S Mod 5 GEN2 4-16x50 scope, WW760 powder, 500 pieces of new Jag brass plus ~200 pieces of assorted brass, Federal primers, 55 grain Nosler Varmagedden bullets. I am going on a prairie dog shoot in early June and all my local ranges are closed down and will probably remain closed until after I get back. I mounted the scope using a scope level and I am confident it is done correctly. I have used my optical bore sighter which in the past has gotten me to within two - three clicks of where I need to be. I know of some places I can go with minimal danger from the Thought Police, but need to limit my shots as much as possible. I can trust myself to shoot well. I have a Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mount Chronograph. I am aware that hanging anything on the barrel will change the POI, although, this is a bull barrel...

Target: For someone who is familiar with the cartridge and the powder/bullet combination I have available, what would you recommend I do to (1) get the rifle sighted in (normally takes me three to six shots with an accurate load) while (2) finding a reasonably accurate load (1/2 MOA would be a nice goal, if the rifle will do it) all with taking the minimum number of shots. I can do very accurate powder measuring. I am thinking of starting with 37.5 grains and from talking with friends and reading my reloading manuals, it looks like I don't want to exceed 38.5 grains. It would be best if I made up my test rounds at home. I have a collet bullet puller so I can break down unsatisfactory rounds and reload. In a normal situation I would take my powder scale and load on the shooting bench at the range but this is not possible.

Proposal: ?? I have some ideas but if anyone has done this I am all ears! Thanks in advance.

Your rifle is almost certain to have a 14 twist barrel from the factory. If you are shooting the tipped version of the 55 Varmageddon, you are likely to have stability problems during load development (especially since you live near sea level). If you are shooting the flat based hollow point version, you should be OK, though still not an ideal match to your twist rate.

Potential component issues aside, OAL/bullet seating depth is something that deserves careful attention in the 22-250. Most factory 22-250 chambers have a LOT of freebore. My 22-250's have never shot particularly well at the book length of 2.350". I have had my best results around 2.430", but that will be dependent on your actual chamber dimensions.

As a first step, I recommend measuring the length to lands, with this bullet, in your rifle. From there, perform the Berger Seating Depth Test with a starting load. You will likely find that your bullet is too short to reach the rifling while still seated in the case neck. That is OK. You can modify the Berger test by working forward from book length, rather than backward from max distance to the rifling.

Once you have established preferred seating depth, the OCW load development method (as mentioned by others) is an efficient way to go. Here are specific instructions on how to do that: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

IF your chosen components work well together, this process will yield a serviceable load. If it does not, you may need to make some component changes.

Good luck!

As you can see WW760 not even listed for the 22-250 here

As you can see WW760 not even listed for the 22-250 here
Just because its not in a Nosler load data book doesn't mean its not an acceptable powder!
Look up Winchester data tables & it will be there for 55rg projectile.

I have used W760 for my older Rem700 SPS very effectively with a 55gr Nosler B/Tip, as far as accuracy goes it was the best of 3 powders I tried.

I don't give out load data but just work it up, you will probably find a couple of good nodes.

As to your predicament on the range time I wont comment on that :oops:

Its in there for the heavies with the 8 twist barrel but not for under 55 grain bullets in the 14 twist. A lot better powders for the light bullets.

Its in there for the heavies with the 8 twist barrel but not for under 55 grain bullets in the 14 twist. A lot better powders for the light bullets.
Still works though
Getting 3414fps out of this load.

W760.JPG

With bullets from 53 to 75 grains, RL17 has far outperformed anything else I have tried in 22-250. W760 is a bit faster burning, but still in a good range for top performance. Book data for 22-250 is badly out of date (along with the SAAMI twist specification). In comparison to modern powders, the traditional 22-250 powders are actually too fast for optimum performance from such an overbore cartridge.

The OP's powder choice is not likely to be a problem. Rate of twist is likely to be a bigger concern.

Situation: New to me (inherited from my dad in 1991, I've never fired it) .22-250 Remington 700 Varmint mid-'80s vintage, new Riton RT-S Mod 5 GEN2 4-16x50 scope, WW760 powder, 500 pieces of new Jag brass plus ~200 pieces of assorted brass, Federal primers, 55 grain Nosler Varmagedden bullets. I am going on a prairie dog shoot in early June and all my local ranges are closed down and will probably remain closed until after I get back. I mounted the scope using a scope level and I am confident it is done correctly. I have used my optical bore sighter which in the past has gotten me to within two - three clicks of where I need to be. I know of some places I can go with minimal danger from the Thought Police, but need to limit my shots as much as possible. I can trust myself to shoot well. I have a Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mount Chronograph. I am aware that hanging anything on the barrel will change the POI, although, this is a bull barrel...

Target: For someone who is familiar with the cartridge and the powder/bullet combination I have available, what would you recommend I do to (1) get the rifle sighted in (normally takes me three to six shots with an accurate load) while (2) finding a reasonably accurate load (1/2 MOA would be a nice goal, if the rifle will do it) all with taking the minimum number of shots. I can do very accurate powder measuring. I am thinking of starting with 37.5 grains and from talking with friends and reading my reloading manuals, it looks like I don't want to exceed 38.5 grains. It would be best if I made up my test rounds at home. I have a collet bullet puller so I can break down unsatisfactory rounds and reload. In a normal situation I would take my powder scale and load on the shooting bench at the range but this is not possible.

Proposal: ?? I have some ideas but if anyone has done this I am all ears! Thanks in advance.
I shoot 55 Gr V-Max on top of 38.5 Gr H380, really accurate load and knocks coyotes out cold, start your load at approx 35.0 grains and work up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.