Load Development, 22-250 w/ 75r Amax

Hondo64d

Just starting to play with my 22-250. 700 action trued by Beanland and an 8" twist Bartlein 2b barrel pillar bedded in a Manners EH3. Looked through the manuals to see what burn rates were appropriate for this combo. I didn't see 7828ssc listed but saw several in that burn rate range so thought I would give it a try.

In short, I don't think 7828ssc is the powder for the 22-250 with 75r Amaxes. I loaded and shot 8 different charges in .4gr increments starting with 35.2gr and ending with 38gr. Bullets were seated to lightly kiss the lands. Runout was extremely low, with most being < .001" (gotta love Lapua brass!). I got one group that was about .5 MOA and two groups that were in the .6 MOA range (5 shots at 300 yards) but the rest weren't very good and the highest two charges quite awful, approaching 2 MOA. It was interesting that with the highest three charges, the velocity nearly quit climbing, with averages increasing less than 7 fps with each .4gr. increase in powder. Max average velocity with 38gr. was 3139. Extreme spreads were not very good and some quite bad. The higher charges had extreme spreads as high as 67 fps.

Next I tried H4350. I started at 34.8 and went up to 36.4 in .4gr increments. Groups got progressively tighter as the charges increased and extreme spreads decreased. Best group was at 36.4gr with four of five being in about .4" and a flyer that opened it up to about .8". That one averaged 3210 fps. Bolt lift was getting a little harder at 36.4gr but primers looked good and no ejector hole marks. I was encouraged by all the different charges hitting the same POI. If you stacked all five targets on top of one another, the entire 25 shots would be less than two inches. Were it not for the lowest charge, they all would have gone into about 1.25". Extreme spreads were much better than with 7828ssc but still not nearly as good as I would like, with the top two charges showing 38 and 39 fps extreme spreads. I think I'll bump it up to 36.6 and see what it does.

If I don't see what I'm looking for, I'll move on to R15.

John

John

I just got a new 22-250 barrel. It is a 28 inch 8 twist Brux. I stuck the barrel on one of my Savage model 12s. I threw some powder in a case just to check burn rate and put some 80 grain Match Kings on top. I fired 3 shots at 200 yards and they grouped 0.172" including the clean cold bore shot. Velocity averaged 2,920 fps and ES of the last two was 4 fps so there is some potential there. The load was 36.0 grains of H4831SC with the bullet seated 0.005" off the lands. I've got 5 more loaded for another trip to the range. I won't bother with a ladder test if they keep shooting better than I can shoot as the velocity (and thus the pressure) should be easy on brass. Take a look at H4831SC.

I have a 27 inch 3 groove Lilja in 22-250 with an 8 twist. Fought finding a load for quite some time. Tried both 75 and 80 gr Amax and various powders ...found out 2 things.

Amax is a soft jacket, per Hornady, and sometimes doesn't like 3 groove barrels. Tried 80 match king and 80 Berger and bingo, 1/2 minute or better groups.

Second, good ole IMR 4831 at I think 36.7 grains (per Sierra accuracy load) and the development work was done. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.