Load development COAL problem? 22-250

Black Sheep

Recently bought a used Remington 700 VSSF in 22-250. Starting load development, so I used my Hornady OAL gauge and comparator to measure where the lands are. Using 50gr ballistic tips, loading 020 off of the lands, this gives me a COAL of about 2.540. Nosler's reloading manual gives a COAL of 2.350. I'm quite worried about being 190 longer than specs means the throat is already worn! Also, I'm worried about it doing something goofy with the pressure! I've checked dummy rounds, and they fit and function in the magazine and they chamber just fine! Any advice would be appreciated!

Not to worry, I am loaded 2.455" with a 55 Berger Varmint bullet. I don't recall how far off the lands that is, but it's not touching for sure. Same rifle as yours.

Your throat may be a little longer than mine, but that is a really nice thing about the 22-250, we can seat them long and still have a highly accurate, magazine fed rifle. As the throat erodes from firing, we just seat the bullets out further to compensate.......up to a point, at some point we have to set the barrel back or re-barrel.

Saami specs are just a guideline for the unknowing. So long as you start with a reduced charge and work up, you shouldn't have any issues.

I always start with the bullet just touching the rifling if it will fit, then once you find the powder charge, you can back off/adjust the OAL and pressures usually go down slightly if anywhere. Only the rifle/bullet combination can tell you what depth to seat the bullets at for best accuracy. The book is useless for that information, it doesn't know what rifle you're shooting, or what reamer cut the chamber, or how long the throat is after firing 1000 rounds.

Not to worry, I am loaded 2.455" with a 55 Berger Varmint bullet. I don't recall how far off the lands that is, but it's not touching for sure. Same rifle as yours.

Your throat may be a little longer than mine, but that is a really nice thing about the 22-250, we can seat them long and still have a highly accurate, magazine fed rifle. As the throat erodes from firing, we just seat the bullets out further to compensate.......up to a point, at some point we have to set the barrel back or re-barrel.

Saami specs are just a guideline for the unknowing. So long as you start with a reduced charge and work up, you shouldn't have any issues.

I always start with the bullet just touching the rifling if it will fit, then once you find the powder charge, you can back off/adjust the OAL and pressures usually go down slightly if anywhere. Only the rifle/bullet combination can tell you what depth to seat the bullets at for best accuracy. The book is useless for that information, it doesn't know what rifle you're shooting, or what reamer cut the chamber, or how long the throat is after firing 1000 rounds.
Good advice. Read and heed.

Thanks guys! I just started into precision reloading, and I know just enough to be dangerous! I'm gonna start the ladder at 37gr of H380 and work up half a grain at a time until I find the node. Then, I guess I can play with the seating depth. Thanks again for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.