Load for 22-250 ?

hORNADY edition #8 lists max of 41.2 grains of H414 for 3700 fps.
I load 40 grains of h414 with 55gr for avg. 3580fps in 24 in barrel. Either v-max or Nosler BT.

Looking for a load for 22-250 55 gr v-max I have h414 and benchmark on hand any input Thanx

if you have a Savage with a 12 twist barrel, then try 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 using the Sierra 55 grain bullet (#1365). I get high twos and very low threes with this load. Tried 2015Br (older lots) as they are very similar to 3031, but didn't shoot nearly as well. H380 and H414 work well, but have only used H380 a lot. 2460 is another one to try, but I have not had time to shoot it yet.
gary

Shooting a sako not sure on twist
Just tried full load h414 not good
And full load benchmark. Not good
Both around 1 1/2

I got groups slightly over a half inch with 2015BR and rarely shot a group over .30" with the IMR 3031 load in three different rifles. But the 1365 bullet computes to be almost dead perfect for a 12 twist barrel. I shoot 55 grain Vmax bullets in a 14 twist Remington just fine, so your probably OK there. One problem you may encounter with H414 in very cold weather is ignition. Try the same load backed off about a grain and a half over a Federal mag primer.
gary

Iam still trying shooting 55 gr moly coated v-max tried a few loads already still around 1 1/2 plus groups not sure if its the moly coating or 55 gr lead think ill try 50 gr v-max no moly coating

I've loaded for many 22/250's over the last 45 years and the vast majority of them shot IMR 4064 the best by far and the load is 43.1 with a Remington 9.5 mag primer... and W/W brass seems to be better than the rest in this cartridge. I also use the V-max but in 50 grain and I only size about half the neck due to how much slop there is in factory chambers.. for whatever reason the above work for all of the rifles I've loaded for.. also get yourself a straight line seater.. good luck and enjoy one the greatest little cartridges of all time..

I've loaded for many 22/250's over the last 45 years and the vast majority of them shot IMR 4064 the best by far and the load is 43.1 with a Remington 9.5 mag primer... and W/W brass seems to be better than the rest in this cartridge...

I also consider the I-4064 the best powder for the 22-250 but a charge of 43.1 seems to me a very hot load?

Happy New Year

never used 4064 in a 22-250, and looked up the loads in the Hogdon and Hornaday manuals. They list 35 grains as max with a 50 grain bullet. AA4064 listed at 38 grains I might add in here. But AA 4064 has a slightly different burn rate than the IMR 4064. Speer lists 37 grains as max with IMR 4064 and their 50 grain bullet. I think I'd try AA 2460, as it seems to be good for another 150 to 200 fps

be carefull!
gary

Last edited:
Thanks for the info will get 50 gr v-max and give them a try but do I need to use mag primers I've had very good success with benchmark or exterminator in varmint cal rifles

one problem I've ran into in the past when using Hogdon's ball powders as well as Winchester's too is that in very cold weather they seem to want a little hotter primer. I use almost nothing but Federals anyway, and have ran into some issues in the past with H414 and H380 wanting a little hotter ignition when it gets down into the single digits outside. That's why I spoke of the Federal mag primer with ball powders in cold weather.
gary

Thanks for info Gary it does get -13 to -31 Fahrenheit up here in Manitoba . I have already primed my brass with normal primers . Think ill get 50 gr v-max and try the benchmark that I have on hand then go from there
Thanx guys for all the info appreciate it

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.