Lightweight FFP Scope Options for a Backpack Hunter

Thanks guys for all the help, this is awesome!

Also worth mentioning that I am pretty firmly in the mil camp.

So it looks like I need to add the NF NX8 to the list. Not sure how I missed that one.
I run a pair of Tract binos and quite like them, but the toric scope is just a bit too heavy for my liking.

I was also hesitant about the Vortex AMG, but it seems the large FOV makes up for the 6x? Very good to know, learn something new everyday. Thanks for that!

So it looks like my recommended list for my set of requirements would look like:

March 3-24x52
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 and 4-32
Vortex AMG 6-24
And lagging just outside my pretty firm cut-off of 30oz
SWFA HD 5-20

Another question, since I see some smaller obj scopes suggested:
Say I'm glassing during that last golden hour of light and see a couple either rock-shaped critters or criiter-shaped rocks maybe 2-2.5k away in a basin across the valley. I crank my scope up to 18-22x to get a better look and decide if I'm heading over there for dawn. Am I going to wish I had the 50mm obj or will a smaller obj be fine?

Don't let the 6x on the bottom end of the AMG scare you, it has the exact same FOV at 6x that a Leupold 4-12 has at 4x and a bigger FOV at 6x than a Leupold 4.5-14.

I also like the March scopes, in particular the 2.5x25x52. Aside from the attributes already mentioned in this thread, IMO, one of its attributes, rarely mentioned in scope assessments, is the March lens/interior coating and design which reduces low sun and reflective glare, noticeably better then my NF, Vortex AMG, and several others I've owned.

I also like the March scopes, in particular the 2.5x25x52. Aside from the attributes already mentioned in this thread, IMO, one of its attributes, rarely mentioned in scope assessments, is the March lens/interior coating and design which reduces low sun and reflective glare, noticeably better then my NF, Vortex AMG, and several others I've owned.
I recently purchased a March on the 30% off deal. I already have an AMG. I have been doing alot of comparisons in different conditions with the two. The March glass is very impressive in low light and cutting glare compared to the AMG. Mid day with good conditions I cannot tell much of a difference. The March gives me an extra 15-20 min of shooting time. So far I am very pleased with the March. I have had no issues with the eye box. The only drawback I have found is with the parallax. If I set it at 25x and then move to 20x or anywhere else I must re adjust the parallax. It adjust quick and easy but I do have to adjust every time. I do not foresee it being an issue but we will see. With the AMG once parallax is adjusted you can move throughout the magnification range with out re adjustment. Hopes this helps in your decision.

i have a March 2.5-25-44 and find it's very picky to get the parallax adjusted right. also, the eye box is small. it's the trade-off when making the scope short. i also have the SWFA 5-20 and find it's a much easier scope to use. better eye box, much easier to set the parallax. it's just a more comfortable scope to get behind.

Not a fly weight but the leupold mk5 3.6-18 is not heavy and is a superb piece of glass, and i have most of the good stuff.

Yeah, its 35 mm tube, but wt is really light for what it is. Just put one one my new 28 nosler.
Another thing to consider for a hunting rifle is usefulness of high magnification. I have found nothing in hunting fields where i needed the magnification i use in lr target shooting. I would consider 20x the absolute max that i would use on a hunting rifle, and then not on one trying to keep weight down on. Also dont like huge objectives for hunting, 50 mm max, but i prefer 44.

Hi folks, just thought I'd give an update on my scope setup now that I have used it for a few months and taken a handful of critters (all 450yds or less, nothing too crazy).
I found an SWFA for about $650, so I definitely couldn't pass that up.
Since putting it on my rifle, it has proven invaluable on almost every hunt to give me that little bit extra magnification to make the call on whether to chase an animal or not. It has definitely been worth the extra pound over an ultralight, low power scope. I am completely satisfied with the glass clarity for my intended use.

Here are some things I've learned about using a scope to double as a spotting scope:

1) 20x zoom does not double the image from 10x binos. Since there is eye relief when using a rifle scope and your eye isn't as close, the image is more like 1.5x zoomed. This is definitely better, but not as much additional mag as I was hoping.

2) The parallax (at least the focus) maxes out on this particular scope at about 1.5-2k. Not sure if this is unique to this specific scope or if there is some way I can tweak it, but I run out of fine focus and my advantage over binos kind of becomes a wash past approx 2.5k (1.5 miles). Just pointing out the limitations I've had looking at animals across valley.

3) Having the mil reticle plus known range has been really useful to estimate approximate headgear size and judge animals in addition to using relative proportions.

Thanks guys for your helpful input, hopefully this update is helpful to someone as well.

I'd give the Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 a close look. Weight is 21.3 ounces. I've been shooting one on my 6.5 cm for several months and it Has done everything I've asked it to do at to 800 yards (range limit). It's also on sale at midway for $800.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.