Lightweight optics for backpack style hunts.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll just be at the range this year between work and life, but I'll have time to look for something to fit into those guidelines.
What do you carry for spotting at those ranges?

For closer ranges, (4 to 500 yards) a good pair of binoculars in the 8 to 10 power works great. For more distance, a good compact 25 to 30 x power spotting scope with 50+ mm objective lens have always worked for me.

Redfield use to make a catadioptic spotting scope (Like the best celestial telescopes) that I still use and is very compact. (Around 8" long).

This is the way they work and keep the length to a minimum.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat....69i57j0l5.17912j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have three scopes on similar purpose rifles. I'll list them in order of weight. Trijicon 3-9x40. Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x40 and Leupold Vx5HD 2-10x42. All three would meet your needs and are very good glass for the money at less weight than tactical scopes.

I have three of the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 scopes on smaller light weight rifles and they're a nice light scope with very good optics.

I've never owned one of the new VX5 HD scope but I have a VX6 and they have very good optics as well.

I totally understand the desire for light weight. Why carry it up there if it is fragile, not rugged, reliable and repeatable. Save weight some where else. The scope is your interface with your target, Rifle and computer solution.

I just picked up a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 f1. Huge field of view, illuminated XT (tree Reticle), Nightforce glass and it's Nightforce durability. Puts my rifle at under 10 lbs with bipod. After getting a 100 yard zero and a velocity on the 6.5 PRC. Dialed what my phone app said and
IMG-1222.JPG
IMG-1224.JPG
center punched a 12" rock at 639 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.