Lightweight optic for new build

LongWalker

I've got a new build in progress and once again I've googled myself into a stupor for scope selection.

Rifle is a lightweight 6.5lb +/- 300WSM. I was originally planning to put a Vortex 4-16x44 HST I already have on it and I still may start there, but I think the quality of the build might require a higher quality optic.

I'm open to all suggestions within the following parameters;

22oz or less
SFP/MOA
MOA reticle w/ at least windage holds
mid range magnification (4-16, 3x15, etc)
parallax adjustment
exposed top turret
less than $1500 street price

So far I've looked at;

Vortex Razor LHT
Swaro Z5
Zeiss V4
Leupold VX5 HD

I've reviewed myself to death on the available options and would greatly appreciate any real world advice and information.

I've got a new build in progress and once again I've googled myself into a stupor for scope selection.

Rifle is a lightweight 6.5lb +/- 300WSM. I was originally planning to put a Vortex 4-16x44 HST I already have on it and I still may start there, but I think the quality of the build might require a higher quality optic.

I'm open to all suggestions within the following parameters;

22oz or less
SFP/MOA
MOA reticle w/ at least windage holds
mid range magnification (4-16, 3x15, etc)
parallax adjustment
exposed top turret
less than $1500 street price

So far I've looked at;

Vortex Razor LHT
Swaro Z5
Zeiss V4
Leupold VX5 HD

I've reviewed myself to death on the available options and would greatly appreciate any real world advice and information.
I've had tracking issues with the V4 and Vx5hd.
I'd go a couple ozs heavier and get a Trijicon Credo 4-16x50.
I have 3 now and they're rock solid and track true, they've been through all sorts of drop tests etc. And are gaining a great reputation for holding zero/ repeatable tracking.
Eurooptic has an amazing deal on this model that sells for over $1000

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...A-Center-Dot-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope.aspx

Might be a touch above the OP's requested $1,500 street price based on the link you provided.

OP, you have 4 great options there. I would try to hold them in person (Sportsmans warehouse by me stocks all 4) and think about the features. When I looked at them I thought about the following:

1) The Swaro glass is great (my buddy has one) but the exposed elevation dial does not lock which is a deal breaker for me.
2) The V4 Zeiss elevation dial must be turned clockwise to go up. With all my other scopes being counter-clockwise it was a deal breaker for me.
3) I looked at the LHT and VX5HD side by side and preferred the VX5HD, but I dont think you can go wrong with either. The LHT used to be around $750-$1,000, after the price increase I think I'd lean even more towards the VX5HD. The glass and locking turret are great, tracking has been good for me so far.

I don't like the Ziess or Swarvo turrets…at all, that's a deal killer for me.

The Luepy is a great scope but the reticle choices suck if you are a wind holder, I replaced mine with an LHT.

The biggest concern I had with the LHT was the dot reticle…after using it, it'll be hard to go back to crosshairs.

My opinion is is this price range the LHT is tough to beat. I have them on almost all my hunting rifles. The scope banbam posted is what is use if it wasn't such a big price difference.

Good luck

I've had tracking issues with the V4 and Vx5hd.
I'd go a couple ozs heavier and get a Trijicon Credo 4-16x50.
I have 3 now and they're rock solid and track true, they've been through all sorts of drop tests etc. And are gaining a great reputation for holding zero/ repeatable tracking.
Eurooptic has an amazing deal on this model that sells for over $1000

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...A-Center-Dot-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope.aspx

I just mounted this scope on my 7-08 custom build. Glass is fantastic, tracking is solid, overall just a great optic. Made in Japan and at $599-$699 on clearance you just can't go wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
I have had good experiences with the Swaro Z5 series on .300 WBY, 7mm RM, and a .257 WBY. You can get a MOA turret to replace the color markers that come with it from the factory which helps make it more user friendly with Range Finders. Not locking though if that's a must with you. I have not had issues FWIW.

I have a Zeiss V4 and it's comparable to the Swaro Z5 optically. I just have the confidence in the Swaro as they have been of many successful expeditions with me.

The Leupold would be my next choice in a VX5 or save up or look for a deal/demo Mark 5. The Mark 5 is sized perfect for a shorter cartridge.

I would go with either the Vortex razor lht or the Trijicon credo or tenmile Eurooptic has a good sale right now. For the Vortex look at liberty optics. Both ate made in Japan and are everything you would need. I have both.

Recent Posts