New optic

ghklr67

Hey guys, long time reader first time post, looking at a Leupold vx6 hd 3x18x50 trying to decide which reticle would be best for me, the varmint or the fire dot duplex, anyone with experience on one of these your thoughts would be appreciated, will be going on a rem 700 300 win mag, mainly Deer but not afraid to use the gun to shoot anything big or small. Will be using factory ammo -Hornady 180 grain sat. Thanks for all input, and God Bless!

The varmint hunter has the TMOA reticle I believe.
I'd definitely go that route having a ballistic reticle is the only way to go if you're shooting long range

How far do you want to shoot? If you plan to dial, @Send it 284 has some great advice. Simple drop based reticles are just that, simple. If you plan to shoot beyond 500 yards, or small targets, there are far better reticle choices imo.

Same dilemma here. I am looking to mount this same scope on the top of a new Seekins Precision 6.5 PRC. I find myself leaning towards the TMOA with illumination. A friend of mine has this same scope on his Seekins Element and the thing was fantastic. What I like most about the new VX6 line is the electronic leveling system. I really like the applicability to real world hunting situations when its easy to over look a bubble when in a hurry. Did you make a choice on which way to go? I have been waffling for some time now but it hasn't really mattered that much as I cant locate any factory loads or components to even get to shoot my new rifle yet.......

Same dilemma here. I am looking to mount this same scope on the top of a new Seekins Precision 6.5 PRC. I find myself leaning towards the TMOA with illumination. A friend of mine has this same scope on his Seekins Element and the thing was fantastic. What I like most about the new VX6 line is the electronic leveling system. I really like the applicability to real world hunting situations when its easy to over look a bubble when in a hurry. Did you make a choice on which way to go? I have been waffling for some time now but it hasn't really mattered that much as I cant locate any factory loads or components to even get to shoot my new rifle yet.......
No I haven't decided yet, but if I were to order it today it would be the fire dot duplex, that way I could just dial everything past 200 yards!

hard to go wrong with the simplicity of that. I purchased a vx6 3-18 a few years ago that did not have the fire dot. It has the fine duplex reticle with a custom cds dial. Mounted up on my 7mag launching 175g Nosler ABLRs at a little under 3000 ft/s. Can direct dial to anything under about 900 yards. I should say that I do regret it not having the fire dot. The fine duplex is outstanding for good light but a little tough during low light times.

Dont discount the Impact line of reticles. I run the impact 29 reticle and really like it for day time shooting. The impact 60 reticle is a little too busy for what my eye likes but ymmv. TMOA is a great option as well IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.