Lightweight FFP Scope Options for a Backpack Hunter

I'm in the same boat and I am leaning toward a 6-24x50 Vortex AMG it's close a little higher on the high end, 1x more on the low end. 30mm tube, excellant glass, and at 28,29 oz

@camomdvl - Honestly I have no experience with the S-Tac. I did have a Sightron SIII 6-24 briefly, but I understand it's a step up from the s-Tac. Traded the SIII for a Bushnell LRHS because I found the Sightron reticle gets lost pretty easily. To me the reticle is the most important part of a 'targeting optic'.

I take the advice @lancetkenyon offers to the bank. He really likes good optics and has owned many FFP scopes along the way. I recommend paying particular attention to his advice.

Personally, I'm saving for a March 3-24x52 at the moment. I get what you mean about low magnification - I too find anything over ~5x uncomfortable if I'm expecting an opportunity inside 100yd. 3x is really nice...

One thing to keep in mind is FOV. A lot of people get hung up on magnification, but it's actually FOV that matters- at both ends, but especially at the low end. Take the Razor AMG for example, it only goes down to 6x, but at 6x is has a bigger FOV than many scopes do at 5X. Great optical design and very wide FOV. My point is, a magnification requirement is somewhat arbitrary - if you want to get serious about this, set a FOV requirement, not a magnification requirement. Some scopes make compromises in the low mag range, and functionally it's lack of FOV that make me feel claustrophobic, not too much magnification.

Last edited:
I love my March 3-24x42. I had exactly the same criteria pretty mucj as you when I was shopping around. I know it's not the 52 but it's a work horse. I have it on a 7 RUM that's shot coues in Mexico up to moose and sheep in NWT. Zero is always on. And I haven't been kind to that rifle and it shows. Bagging it off rocks, horse scabbards, New Mexico sand and grit, Colorado flippin blizzards, about to hit up off range oryx with it. Its studly. And 8x magnification range is impressive

Last edited:
I would strongly look at Tract Optics. Their Toric HD is a 4-20x50 FFP with exposed elevation and windage turrets. Perfect tracking, Schott glass, 30mm tube, FFP, Illumination. I can't remember the weight but it would be solid. Only thing is not sure what your budget is.

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a new scope for a recent 6.5CM hunting build. I have a set of parameters I am trying to keep within, and have narrowed the field to a handful of scopes that fit the criteria. I'm looking for input and suggestions from people that have used these scopes and possibly other scopes that I may have missed.
My intended use is for a scope that can double as a lightweight spotting scope. I glass with a pair of 10x42 binos and sometimes just need a bit more to determine if the critter is worth walking over to. I don't do much specific judging of animals, so I am happy with the trade off of using a scope as a spotter. I do however want much higher quality glass than I would normally need to engage targets.

My criteria are as follows: FFP, true tracking for dialing, <30 oz, high quality glass (Japanese or US), 50mm obj (for light gathering at high magnification without sitting the scope too high off the rifle), ~20x max zoom, maximum 5x low end zoom, preferably 30mm tube

As far as I can tell, this leaves the options at:

Weaver tactical FFP 4-20x50; 28 oz; Japan
Hawke Frontier FFP 4-20x50; 22 oz; Japan
Crimson Trace 3 series tactical FFP 4-20x50; 30 oz; Japan
Crimson Trace 5 series tactical FFP 3-18x50; 30 oz; Japan
March FFP 3-24x52; 25 oz; Japan

Any input or corrections on those scopes would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions of other scopes that fit the criteria.

Thanks in advance!
Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a new scope for a recent 6.5CM hunting build. I have a set of parameters I am trying to keep within, and have narrowed the field to a handful of scopes that fit the criteria. I'm looking for input and suggestions from people that have used these scopes and possibly other scopes that I may have missed.
My intended use is for a scope that can double as a lightweight spotting scope. I glass with a pair of 10x42 binos and sometimes just need a bit more to determine if the critter is worth walking over to. I don't do much specific judging of animals, so I am happy with the trade off of using a scope as a spotter. I do however want much higher quality glass than I would normally need to engage targets.

My criteria are as follows: FFP, true tracking for dialing, <30 oz, high quality glass (Japanese or US), 50mm obj (for light gathering at high magnification without sitting the scope too high off the rifle), ~20x max zoom, maximum 5x low end zoom, preferably 30mm tube

Any input or corrections on those scopes would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions of other scopes that fit the criteria.

Thanks in advance!

I was going to suggest the Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 with the CCH reticle but with March on your list I might be suggesting a lower grade optic than you are wanting to go with. I still think it's worth a look when you can get a FFP 30mm tube scope with the magnification ranges you want for 20.8oz.

I have an nx8 4-32x50, it's a great scope thus far. In my opinion, it's marginally better than the March 3-24x42 I have, what NF did better, less sensitive parallax, less finicky eyebox, better reticles. I have the FMA1 March, and milC NF. I am slowly switching over to all mil. The NF replaced a swaro x5i, the the swaro has slightly brighter glass and a better eyebox, however it's sfp and not the best for lr target work. I am actually going to get one these Hawke new Frontier ffp 4-20 and try it out soon.

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!

I have ordered a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP with their EBR-2C MOA reticle. It weighs 24.6 oz. A valued friend compares it well to his Leupold Mk4. When mine arrives, I will see if I concur with his opinion (I generally do).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.