Lightweight FFP Scope Options for a Backpack Hunter

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by camomdvl, Jul 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. camomdvl

camomdvl Member

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a new scope for a recent 6.5CM hunting build. I have a set of parameters I am trying to keep within, and have narrowed the field to a handful of scopes that fit the criteria. I’m looking for input and suggestions from people that have used these scopes and possibly other scopes that I may have missed.
    My intended use is for a scope that can double as a lightweight spotting scope. I glass with a pair of 10x42 binos and sometimes just need a bit more to determine if the critter is worth walking over to. I don’t do much specific judging of animals, so I am happy with the trade off of using a scope as a spotter. I do however want much higher quality glass than I would normally need to engage targets.

My criteria are as follows: FFP, true tracking for dialing, <30 oz, high quality glass (Japanese or US), 50mm obj (for light gathering at high magnification without sitting the scope too high off the rifle), ~20x max zoom, maximum 5x low end zoom, preferably 30mm tube

As far as I can tell, this leaves the options at:

Weaver tactical FFP 4-20x50; 28 oz; Japan
    Hawke Frontier FFP 4-20x50; 22 oz; Japan
    Crimson Trace 3 series tactical FFP 4-20x50; 30 oz; Japan
    Crimson Trace 5 series tactical FFP 3-18x50; 30 oz; Japan
    March FFP 3-24x52; 25 oz; Japan

Any input or corrections on those scopes would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions of other scopes that fit the criteria.

Thanks in advance!

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

If you want a March, I would get it fast. They are 35% off right now and going fast. I don't know how this affects US distribution or anything...
    http://marchoptics.com/#/

3. muleystalker

muleystalker Well-Known Member

I would take an SWFA 5-20x50 HD over the first four hands down, there is no comparison. The march is a great choice but at over twice the cost of the SWFA. If you are going to spend that much another choice would be one of the new NF NX8's, I believe they come in an 2.5-25x50 and a 4-34x50 or something close to those powers.

John Klingenberg and jlw1974 like this.
  4. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Official LRH Sponsor

The Hawke Frontier FFP 4-20x50 is an excellent scope. Very dependable

5. Hand Skills

Hand Skills Well-Known Member

Yup, it's a small list. Only other I can think of is

Sightron S-tac 4-20

S&B 5-20 might be worth considering at 29oz, but 34mm tube...

Interesting - I'll be looking into that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. CLP

CLP Well-Known Member

I can't say enough good things about the March scopes. I've got one on my 6.5 sheep rifle and its been all over the world with me. I've never had to make a single adjustment to my zero when I arrived in any location.

Greyfox, Archerfish and Hand Skills like this.
  7. Longshot284

Longshot284 Active Member

Could also look at the Leupold mk6 and mk5 - not 30mm tube but good optics that fit every other category. Also, NF 4-16 ATACR. Lastly, my personal favorite, Vortex AMG. Any of the scopes you listed are great so you can’t make a bad choice - that’s a good problem to have.

Antarcticchamp likes this.
  8. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

The F1s are all sold out, excepting 1 mil based model.

9. Aoudad shooter1975

Aoudad shooter1975 Well-Known Member

Leupold VX-3i LRP....pretty light--and my 2 have tracked great...about $1000 bucks too...

SavageHunter11 likes this.
  10. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50
    S&B PMII 5-20×50US
    S&B PMII 3-20×50US
    March F 3-24×52

Hogbreath55 and Hand Skills like this.
  11. camomdvl

camomdvl Member

Hand Skills- the S-tac looks like a nice scope, but looks like it's made in the Philippines. How's the glass quality?

Muleystalker- I could probably add the SWFA to the list of it is that good. Anyone else like the SWFA over the others?

Aoudad shooter- I'm hesitant about the vx3i 6.5-20x50 as it only goes down to 6.5x. I don't think that's quite low enough for close shots on a hunting rifle. The top turret also looks strangely tall.
    Any thoughts on those?

Also looks like the March's are pretty much gone.

Any other experience with the Hawke Frontier or Weaver? I don't know anything about them.

12. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

There are other places that sell March scopes....

SWFA over your first 4 options. Great scopes for the money. I still have 2 of the 3-15×42s. Had a 5-20×50HD for a long time. Built like a tank. Wish it had zero stop.

What is your actual price range? Because you have a broad spectrum, from $500 to $3000+ in your first post.

Bravo 4 and muleystalker like this.
  13. camomdvl

camomdvl Member

I do not have a price range. I am trying to get a handle on what is available in the market. If the March is that much better than any other option, then I am willing to pay for it. If, like most things, it becomes a game of diminishing returns, then I will buy a more affordable option that will suit my requirements. I am in no hurry and have plenty of time to wait for a good deal to come up.

14. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

Antarcticchamp likes this.