FFP,SFP Opinions/Options

IHFarmer07

I have read and read and read the pros and cons on each but I wanted to take a different approach on some questions. I've been hunting with sfp scopes for ever and I just bought my first ffp scope to put on a AR15. I didn't want to spend too much not knowing how I'd like it so I bought a Athlon talos btr 4-14x44, while its a great scope I'm still on the fence with the ffp concept.
I know ffp is not the best for target, but how is some guys able to use the ffp for target and elr and whatever else when the reticle gets bigger? Bigger scope magnification?
Now I did do a somewhat comparison with the best scope I have at this point which is a sfp Steiner predator 4-16x50 and it seems at a certain power level the reticles seem to be equally sized, and equally covered things up, am I dreaming this or.....? So that kind of tells me that the ffp likes to have more power so that the reticle can be used on smaller objects? So you would want a scope in the 5-20, 6-24 + power range, right, wrong?
Does any scope manufacture make a ffp reticle that is hollow in the very center of the cross hairs to over come the problem of the cross hair being larger as the power increases? I have a cheap sfp weaver kaspa scope that has this, its kinda nice.
Now I have a couple rifles I'm building on and I'm wanting to get another scope or two and I'm just not sure on if I want sfp or ffp just yet. I will be using them for up to 1000 yrd shooting, woods and field hunting with various critters(deer, armadillo, coyotes, prairie dogs, ground hogs, hogs), paper punching here and there, no competition will be done with these but I want to be able to get to that range with what scope I will purchase. Budget would be in the $1000+/- range, zero stop, illuminated. I had a lot more to ask, say but can't remember it all. Thanks if you all can shed some light on the subject, I know this dead horse had been beaten over and over.

The Vortex PST II has the open center. I am SFP guy myself as I don't take fast shots at long range.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_vpr-pst_3-15x44_ebr-2c_moa_web.jpg
Thanks. Yeah I don't either and I dial for elevation and I don't take running shots either, can be an unethical hit if you ask me.....I don't know just tossing the options around on ffp rather than sfp. I had been looking a Athlon ares btr 4.5-27 but after having the talos I don't know if I want to mess with ffp again, I like the concept with everything being the right measurements but the size of the reticle has me on the fence.

Thanks. Yeah I don't either and I dial for elevation and I don't take running shots either, can be an unethical hit if you ask me.....I don't know just tossing the options around on ffp rather than sfp. I had been looking a Athlon ares btr 4.5-27 but after having the talos I don't know if I want to mess with ffp again, I like the concept with everything being the right measurements but the size of the reticle has me on the fence.

The SFP vs FFP might boil down to personal preference, application, and the end user's adaptability. I too used SFP for a long time but had no problem transitioning to FFP. Also, not all FFP reticles are created/designed equal, for instance, my Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP has an E1 Varmint reticle and don't have problem with it. I also have pretty good luck with my 5-20x50 HD FFP MRAD reticle. Sadly, you might have to try it on yourself if it meets your requirement. I got lucky with it when I took the chance when they first came out. My friend purchased the Athlon ares BTR 4.5-27 and he's pleased with it but he is not into LRH/S.

Good luck!
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.