Ffp vs sfp

Well I have my first FFP scope arriving Wednesday and will try my best to give it a work out ASAP and compare it's illuminated FFP reticle's performance in very low light at most power settings using both my
WGS 4.5-14x40 (superb glass in my humble opinion) and my Bushnell 4200 in 4-12x40 both have non illuminated plane jane duplex reticles.
I had planned on doing this from the beginning.
I bought this particular scope with a illuminated FFP reticle because #1 it has 9/10 of the features I most wanted and #2 it is a phenomenal bargain and no other scope I found met 9/10 of requirements was even close to the cost of this scope and this scope was anywhere from 45% to 125% cheaper than any other scope I found that met enough of my requirements to be worth buying.
I had a bunch of requirements for this scope purchase which is the most expensive piece of optical equipment I have ever bought but absolute must haves were:
>Proven track record of durability and reliability in terms of tracking and return to zero
>Zero stop
>Locking turrets
>A simple uncluttered easy to understand and use reticle for HUNTING and long range target shooting that I really liked and was fast and easy to use for drop and wind adjustments
>NOT made in Communist China
>Made by an well established optical company
I ended up making only one compromise and bought a FFP scope VS my original intent on buying a SFP scope.
With a little luck will know if I made the right choice or not before months end.

If your reticle is illuminated at the center aim-point, then it ought to be very quick to get it on game in low-light and low magnification. So the Dark Woods Background shouldn't be a problem as it might be with a FFP NON-illuminated reticle.

Yes I actually did several times. That tree just made a huge blob for me. Not being able to be precise at those longer twilight shots.

Different scopes for different folks. I have many scopes but I prefer a plain fine illuminated crosshair with a dot. I always have a ballistic chart visible and can dial in a second. No confusion, have a clear sight picture and precise. I have put all the other scopes in the safe. Just stating my preference for what it is worth.

Well I have my first FFP scope arriving Wednesday and will try my best to give it a work out ASAP and compare it's illuminated FFP reticle's performance in very low light at most power settings using both my
WGS 4.5-14x40 (superb glass in my humble opinion) and my Bushnell 4200 in 4-12x40 both have non illuminated plane jane duplex reticles.
I had planned on doing this from the beginning.
I bought this particular scope with a illuminated FFP reticle because #1 it has 9/10 of the features I most wanted and #2 it is a phenomenal bargain and no other scope I found met 9/10 of requirements was even close to the cost of this scope and this scope was anywhere from 45% to 125% cheaper than any other scope I found that met enough of my requirements to be worth buying.
I had a bunch of requirements for this scope purchase which is the most expensive piece of optical equipment I have ever bought but absolute must haves were:
>Proven track record of durability and reliability in terms of tracking and return to zero
>Zero stop
>Locking turrets
>A simple uncluttered easy to understand and use reticle for HUNTING and long range target shooting that I really liked and was fast and easy to use for drop and wind adjustments
>NOT made in Communist China
>Made by an well established optical company
I ended up making only one compromise and bought a FFP scope VS my original intent on buying a SFP scope.
With a little luck will know if I made the right choice or not before months end.
What did you get?

I ordered a DMRII-i3.5-21×50 from Midway USA for $725 and have a line on a ANIB LRHS-i 3.5-18×44 for a even better price I should be buying mid the coming week. Both are discontinued so I had to decide to either buy both or loose one both cost together what I had budgeted for one scope. Am only going to mount and use one at a time beginning with the LRHS-i as it is for my uses the better all around scope as it is considerably lighter and a more practical scope for hunting
Got the DMRII-i two days ago but started a 3 day series of 16 hour days in a row and didn't get home till 10:20ish so haven't got a chance to look it over
16hrs where I work is a long day indeed let alone 48hrs in three days.
Won't be able to give her a proper inspection till Monday in the AM
Actually what happened is I came across the LRHS--i same time as the DMRII-i and hadn't confirmed the LRHS-i was a for sure deal and I was very concerned the DMR-II-i would sell out and I have already missed out on way to many great scope deals by hesitating
Worst ample was a NF NXS 3.5-15×50 SFP ZS MOAR for under $900 NIB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts