Scope options for versatility?

vividus1

Hey all, I just purchased a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter model .300 Win Mag that is to become my all-around big game gun for western hunting, mostly large bodied deer, but some elk and antelope too. Been shooting a .30-06 forever, but wanted something with a little more oomph at range to give me more confidence in longer shots. Hoping to learn to shoot ethically and confidently out to about 700 yards max, realistically more like 500-600 in actual hunting/hiking conditions. I hunt open country, but like to jump-shoot coulees as well, so I need a scope with excellent field of view at close range and good eye relief. The old .30-06 is a stock A-Bolt topped with a Nikon Monarch 7 2-10x50. I like the BDC reticle for closer to mid range...not sure about long range (say, 400 or farther as I have not shot that gun at distance much), and I did not get the XR Turret built for it.

New rifle weighs 6.75 pounds (muzzle brake and Inflex stock/pad...does not kick near as hard as my old '06) and it's a gun I'll hike with a bunch so I want to keep the overall weight down. I think I want a custom turret scope so I can dial up shots past my zero range, but have little experience with this option. I just don't want to estimate hold-over with reticle at 500-700 yards.

So...any thoughts on a Swarovski Z5 3-18X44? How about a Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x50 or Monarch 7 4-16x50? I really can't spend more than about $1500 but am wide open to other scope brands or models. Please help! CL

Thanks gents...looks like the 3.5-18X44 Z5 will be my choice. I like the very low weight, wide zoom range and field of view, and overall smallish design...seems perfect for a true carry rifle. I'm going to utilize the PBC option for it. At 50% more cost than the Nikon Monarch 7, I was hesitant but so far everybody I ask about it recommends the Swaro. I had a pair of Zeiss bino's that failed so I'm hesitant with that brand. Nikons have been great value I feel but perhaps it's time to move up in quality a touch and see how it affects my shooting enjoyment. Thanks again.

For a lightweight rifle and out to 700 yards it's hard to beat a Leupold 3.5-10x40 vari x 3. I have been using one on a lightweight Remington 700 in 300 ackley, shooting a 200 nosler accubond at 3150 fps for a long time. The recoil of this rifle would crush a lesser scope and I have shot the rifle mostly without a brake.

I had the Leupold target installed and have a custom engraved turret for my rifle load. Zero is set at 300 yards. Hold dead center shoulder at 0-300 yards and top of the back at 400 yards. After 400 yards click for distance.
Both Leupold and Kenton Industries will do a laser engraved turret for you.

Just recently sent a couple of the scopes back to have the windplex reticle installed by Leupold. $70 to change the reticle is a deal which will allow me to click for distance and hold for wind.

The generous eye relief is a must when shooting at different angles with the big magnum or you will get clocked in the head with the eyepiece of the scope.

I have tried many other scopes but my first choice is the leupold for a lightweight scope that you will carry a lot. A 3.5-10x40 is only 13oz and has the very slim profile that will not dig into your back when you carry the rifle for hours on end.

I also like the 4.5-14x40 Leupold and am going to go with a leupold Vx6 3-18x44 on a current lightweight 338 Rem Ultra Mag Build.

Well, that's my experience of using leupold scopes for the last 30 years,
your mileage may vary.

Hey all, I just purchased a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter model .300 Win Mag that is to become my all-around big game gun for western hunting, mostly large bodied deer, but some elk and antelope too. Been shooting a .30-06 forever, but wanted something with a little more oomph at range to give me more confidence in longer shots. Hoping to learn to shoot ethically and confidently out to about 700 yards max, realistically more like 500-600 in actual hunting/hiking conditions. I hunt open country, but like to jump-shoot coulees as well, so I need a scope with excellent field of view at close range and good eye relief. The old .30-06 is a stock A-Bolt topped with a Nikon Monarch 7 2-10x50. I like the BDC reticle for closer to mid range...not sure about long range (say, 400 or farther as I have not shot that gun at distance much), and I did not get the XR Turret built for it.

New rifle weighs 6.75 pounds (muzzle brake and Inflex stock/pad...does not kick near as hard as my old '06) and it's a gun I'll hike with a bunch so I want to keep the overall weight down. I think I want a custom turret scope so I can dial up shots past my zero range, but have little experience with this option. I just don't want to estimate hold-over with reticle at 500-700 yards.

So...any thoughts on a Swarovski Z5 3-18X44? How about a Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x50 or Monarch 7 4-16x50? I really can't spend more than about $1500 but am wide open to other scope brands or models. Please help! CL

It's going to be difficult to get one with more "versatility" than a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50.

I like my Swar Z-5 3.5x18x44 so much on my 300 WM I'm considering selling my Z-3 3x10x42 put towards another Z-5 3.5x18x44. AT 18 pwr it's more than I need but if I ever do it's there. Glass is fantastic. Also just learned that Swar will change out your reticle for you should you desire something different for $170. Scope needs to be a 2008 or newer for that.

Another vote for leupold, VX3 in 4.5-14. Its a perfect balance in my opinion. Not the greatest out there, but definitely fits the bill. I love mine.

Scoped on my 300 magnum under 9 lbs with bipod and sling.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.