Scope options?

Your doing a totaly different type of hunting, you're not pursuing dedicated long range hunting, nothing wrong wth that. Dedicated long range hunting is a totally different mind set tha standard hunting and taking an occasional 400or so yard shot. This site is a dedicated "Long Range Hunting Site" and the gear is differrenet and so is the mind set.

Nice deer..

Sorry we hi-jacked your thread with our little debate...

Thanx, Yes it was Draw.

Haven't even scored him yet but he should be close to 175 NET typical maybe a little more.

To post an image you need to upload your photos to a online site.

I use this one.

Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

Then just put this text around the image location URL from that site(right click on mouse over top of picture will bring up image location URL)

Your doing a totaly different type of hunting, you're not pursuing dedicated long range hunting, nothing wrong wth that. Dedicated long range hunting is a totally different mind set tha standard hunting and taking an occasional 400or so yard shot. This site is a dedicated "Long Range Hunting Site" and the gear is differrenet and so is the mind set.

Nice deer..

Well, the reason WHY I am here is to learn about Longrange Hunting.

I am in process of trying to put together a Rig that will do the job out to 800-900 yards and I am pretty sure I can do it with a lighter weight scope than 2 pounds and a scope for around $1200 range.

I am a newbie to this so maybe I should read more and dole out less advice....LOL!

I am still debating on cartridge and I am pretty sure a 7mm Rem Mag will get the job done at those ranges but I am leaning towards a 7mm STW.

I had to pass on some bucks this year that DWARFED the ones in those pics because they were 650-700 yards out there.

Anyways like I said...

I was mistaken about your rifle in the fact that it only weighs 12 lbs fully equipped. I could carry a rifle like that easily without complaint.

I will always try to get as close as possible....but if my only option is a 600-700 shot I hope to be capable and have a rifle that is capable as well.

Thanx.

I look forward to a future debate where we can bang our heads together.... ;-)

never said that it s imposssible wit a light rifle, rather I said it is more difficult, dedicated Long Range Rifles have heavier barrels than normal hunting rifles and normaly heavier stocks as well. A heavy rig is easier to shoot well than a light one and under field conditions with while trying to take an animal one should take advantage of as much as possble

The rifle on the left is my 338 Lapua the others are 22-250's and belong to Alex as I said before as a dedicated Long Range Rig in 338 Lapuamine is realively lighter (lighter than most) and it comes in at bout 12 pound wth the scope and does not include the bipod

Picture078.jpg

Corey006,Longrange hunting is not a totally different type of hunting and it sounds like you are pursuing longrange hunting. There's no magical distance or list of components that qualifies you as a longrange hunter. Long or less than long much of the gear is identical. Keep doing your thing and as long as you follows post rules your always welcome here:)

JWP, I basically agree with everything your saying and if you search my posts on the subject, including this thread, you will see that I am a BIG NF fan. I also agree that heavier rifles, assuming they are well built, are better LR platforms. My dedicated LR outfit ATM, is a Sendero with a 5.5-22x50 NF scope which weighs in at about 11 lbs without bipod. It is my carry rifle and I have put on a few miles with it in mountain country.

Having said that, everyone's definition of LR is different as well as their approach to it. Although I believe the NF NXS's are about the best LR scope available, there are some lighter ones that will get the job done. There are a number of folks using Zeiss's, Leupy's, Sightrons, Clearidge, etc. Vortex is coming out with some good scopes as well. These scopes are not the same caliber as a NF, but they will get the job done out to 1000 plus yds. In short, I dont think you need a 2 lb scope to successfully hunt LR.

My advise to the OP is still to get a NF NSX if he can afford it and IMO, the dif in weight is not that big of a deal for what you get. I will gladly carry mine around all day.

Corey, those are some great looking bucks no matter how far you shot them :)

mark

Last edited:
I believe this was about which is best and you are correct the NF is as good as it gets and makes it a bit less difficult. I have a Zeiss conquest with turrets and use it on a general hunting rifle that might need to make a 5 or so hundred yards shot at some point. A few ounces of scope wieght should not be the determiing factorin chooseing the best scope for a dedicated long range hunting rig.

No argument there

Yes those are very nice bucks, I just thought that we were a Long Range Hunting site, but as of late I see very few of the experienced long range guys even posting here any more.

Hey Guys,

This is my harvest for this fall. Shot both within 30 minutes of each other. The mule was at 330 yards with 6 does, and the W.T. was looking straight at me at about 80 yards in a standing corn field. Looks like he was a fighter, as his G3 was broke off and there's a chunk missing from his G2.

The second pic is from last year, took him with my Mathews bow at 20 yards from a treestand. He scores 176 1/8 SCI as a non-typical.

I hope you enjoy them.

Ed

DSC03928.jpg

046.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.