Scope options?

Shows how little that you acctualy know, compact and a quality reliable long range hunting scope do not go hand in hand.

Perhaps if you knew that you could make a long shot on game

I caan cover a whole lot more ground with quality optics, than you can hoofing it around with some light wieght scope. This is a LONG RANGE HUNTING site and that is what we are about. If you want to talk light wieght stalking rifles and scopes you've come to the wrong site for that

This was my original statement...

Keep in mind the BIG NF scopes are pretty heavy and NOT well suited to a rifle your gonna carry all day long, but they do have a compact model.

NF scopes heavy?....answer YES?

How is that a problem for you? Maybe you should have picked a different scope?

Did I say it would not work?....NO!

I did say they had a compact model, which they DO? Are you saying that 2.5x10 Nightforce will NOT work on a 600 yard shot? I would reckon a 10X Compact Nightforce would shoot very well out to 1000 yards.

It weighs 19 ounce vs. 30 ounces for the regular NSX model.

LOL,

Isn't the GOAL of a GOOD hunter to get as CLOSE as possible. I do realize that long range shots are very skillful and neccesary in certain terrain.

My goal as a hunter is to get as close as possible and make a 1 shot kill, not use a live animal as a target just because I can...?

I like all types of hunting. Coming from Sask. we have variety of terrain. Where I hunt Moose the bush is so thick you aint getting a long range shot unless it is across a lake...can you shoot 4 miles?

I prefer to hunt Moose with Bow, and have taken 2 trophy Moose with bow one at 10 yards and the other at 6 yards.

Your right I am NEW to this long range game, but I really don't see a problem with MY original statement?

Oh by the way my current rifle weighs around 12 pounds which MOST hunters would NOT want to carry all day long? Except ones that want to shoot immature bucks because they are all tuckered out from humping 25 pound rifles???

Shows how little that you acctualy know, compact and a quality reliable long range hunting scope do not go hand in hand.

Perhaps if you knew that you could make a long shot on game

I caan cover a whole lot more ground with quality optics, than you can hoofing it around with some light wieght scope. This is a LONG RANGE HUNTING site and that is what we are about. If you want to talk light wieght stalking rifles and scopes you've come to the wrong site for that

I would beg to differ that one HAS to choose a 2 lb rifle scope to get a long-range rifle?

The NSX 2.5X10 is not well suited to long range hunting IMHO, because it is not well suited to poor lighting conditions. How do I know this? Answer I have one. The 50mm and 56mm objective 30 and 31 ounce scope are day and night better as a long range scope. The 3.5X15 can double as a spotter (much better than the little scope) after the game has been located with binos

Under the right conditions the little NXS could work, but under real hunting conditions we don't get to pick and choose when an oppertunity will present itself. True long rang hunting scope are big, Deal with or find another sport

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with either of your views. Remember they're just opinions, no ones right or wrong!

I believe both of your opinions have validity.

Your opinion is based off of years of long range hunting experience, right?

No, but I probably do MORE research that YOU do?

Here is one tidbit to refute your CLAIMS.

This guys uses a 10 pound rifle with 15 ounce Leupold for his long range rig for hunting? How can that be? A sub 2 inch 6 shot group at 500 yards in a lightweight rifle with a lightweight scope...IMPOSSIBLE!

Total rifle weight including ALL accessories. 10.8 lbs.

High-Tech Hunter in 300 WSM

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with either of your views. Remember they're just opinions, no ones right or wrong!

I believe both of your opinions have validity.

First off a true dedicated long range hunting rifle is heavy not light, so why the worry about a few ounces of scope wieght?
A light rifle is more difficult to shoot accurately at distance. These are facts not opinion.

My 338 Lapua is a realitvely light long range rig at about 12 pound with scope. lighten the scope and it is still about 11.5, scope wieght on a true longrange hunting rifle is a moot point, but quality optics and reliablity are not

This guys uses a 10 pound rifle with 15 ounce Leupold for his long range rig for hunting? How can that be? A sub 2 inch 6 shot group at 500 yards in a lightweight rifle with a lightweight scope...IMPOSSIBLE!

If 500 yards iswhat you call long range go for. Some people think Leupies are great, I've used them and moved on . I wish that some one would have steere me to best right off of the get go, would have saved me a lot of money. You know buy once. cry once.

DSC00856.jpg

Last edited:

Total rifle weight including ALL accessories. 10.8 lbs.

Do a little reasher here
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-9-miles-deer-338-edges-49643/

Maybe purchase one or two of Shawn's videos on the subject and let me know if they are useing any small objective lightwieght optics

If 500 yards iswhat you call long range go for. Some people think Leupies are great, I've used them and moved on . I wish that some one would have steere me to best right off of the get go, would have saved me a lot of money. You know buy once. cry once.

DSC00856.jpg

So....

IF a rifle is capable of less than 1/2 MOA at 500 yards that is its MAX range....?

I am pretty sure it would be VERY capable at 700-800 yards and maybe even beyond?

GREAT shooting by the way, and if your .338 only weighs in at 12 lbs fully rigged than I guess I was in the wrong there because I wouldn't even consider that a heavy rifle nor would it bother me to carry it.

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot, I will word my advice more carefully next time.....

Last edited:
Corey, nice shooting at any distance:) Lot of meat hope ya got a deep freeze or several.

Nice deer Corey,

What did yours score?

You guys are allowed 3 mule deer each in Sask? Is it on draw?

Only one and all draw here in Alberta, except for some of the Northern zones.

Congrats again!

I took a 5X5 muley and a 5X5 W.T. I'll put a few pics on when I figure out how?

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.