Thermal scope options?

JPHunter

There seems to be thermal scopes growing on trees these days but I'm not sure what is actually worthwhile and what's not.

Any recommendations for decent thermal scopes? Looking to take coyote sized game out to 200 yards with my sauer 100 in .223.

Buy once cry once. Pulsar Thermion 2 LRF the batteries last 8 plus hours. picture is outstanding. Records audio and video PLUS it will store zeros for 5 separate guns each with multiple zero ranges as desired. I put mine on an American Defense uni mount so I can swap between rifles without a re zero. The Base mag is 2x and up to 16x magnification it's perfect for coyotes. For thermal scanning for game the AXION 2 XQ 35 hand held is hard to beat. I used it last August during our deer survey and was able to identify bucks out to 500 yards and in cover that we could not identify with white light spotlights. The horns glow bright when in velvet, but you cant see them once the go hard horn.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 101
I'm a big fan of the Sig Echo3, but there are downsides. Pros are good resolution, fast and accurate, great contrast and brightness, super light and compact, and, in my experience, a MUCH further effective range than advertised. I used to live beneath a mountain, about .5 mile from the base, and I could often catch glowing signatures walking all along the mountain at night, at what must have easily been over a mile. Con is an obnoxious click that happens every ten or so seconds. Not loud, but enough to make you wonder why it's there. Also uses the old USB-type charger, rather than the new universal one that everything has. The other con is kind of a pro. The screen is open, so it can easily be used a kind of thermal reflex sight. Would be great for self defense because you just throw it up and go, no cheekweld, no cup. BUT, this makes you kind of night blind during long hunts because it is impossible to keep both eyes from taking in some of the light.

As a side note, sig doesn't advertise that the Echo can use a backup battery, but it does charge from an anker (they confirmed over email, I never tried it because the battery by itself is pretty good). Don't buy it from a dealer. I've seen them sell on forums/ebay for much less than MSRP. Street price can be as low as 2k if you are patient.

Pulsar Thermion 2 LRF
X3 on Thermion.

I use a XG50 LRF and a dual-mode daylight digital/thermal DXP50, both are great. Can't wait for the Merger XL binos to come in, I've had them on pre-order for seems like awhile now. With the dual-mode scope I can have one ride-around rifle for both day and night, no extra junk to carry around and it's all in one neat little package like a normal rifle scope.

The swappable internal battery plus a backup internal battery is a nice set up. No more stock pack battery BS to deal with, the Pulsar batteries are barely the size of two CR123s. Huge upgrade from the IR-based ATN stuff I was using before.

Pulsar Thermion the 50 is unbelievable, have some Thermion products and they are perfect on distance and for spotting with the hand held. and Fox Optic is the best guy ever to deal with. Very knowledgeable and service is outstanding for any questions. Made shots on yotes at 200 +

Another great thermal resource if you are still shopping vendors is Myron Morrow at Night Vision Outfitters. He's been hunting thermal/NV for ~ 15 years and my crew and I have bought scary amounts of $$ from him. Especially great relationships with the manufacturers if there is ever a need for warranty work/contacts etc.