BDC vs TMR

• Total voters
I am referring to the vertical line with "NO" hash marks. I really like the hash mark above center. It is the straight line I have no use for, and it may block something that is important for me to see. Below: LEUPOLD "IMPACT-23" MOA

Impact-23_MOA_circle_illum.png

For one thing you can use one of those marks above as your initial zero point to enable you to use those below it for quick drop compensation on the fly. They can also be used for ranges below whatever range your zero is set at.

They can also be used when gauging size or to help you gage how far over the target your impact was in the event of a miss high.

I am referring to the vertical line with "NO" hash marks. I really like the hash mark above center. It is the straight line I have no use for, and it may block something that is important for me to see. Below: LEUPOLD "IMPACT-23" MOA

Has the thick bar of duplex reticle ever blocked something?
It's a pencil thin line, what could it possibly block? A flag pole at 1k?

Has the thick bar of duplex reticle ever blocked something?
It's a pencil thin line, what could it possibly block? A flag pole at 1k?

You will notice that the trend by most optic companies is towards eliminating that line on newer reticles, this is especially the trend in military optics. As to what it could cover........Hmmmm maybe part of a cub in the grass with just one ear and part of the cubs head, or maybe two tines of a massive elk that was standing above and behind the smaller intended target. It is interesting in Alaska that many times when the hunter drops the intended animal, out steps an unseen massive trophy. And let us not forget the shooters obligation to know what is beyond his target. Yes, some of that is lame, I just don't see the need for that line with etched in glass reticle.

I prefer the TMR typeHave shot all types but favor mil.My son is double expert in marines but has easier time with BDC,I help him on long range.What i like about tmr n mils is the drops are the same as my reticle and I mainly shoot one rifle hunting and same for practice,so I have the mils in my head and can quick reference a shot and have done it to 850 on elk.7.1 mils gets me to 1000 and I like the 10 mil per rev turret takes me to almost 1250 in single turn.Shot mil dot before so had time in this

I don't know how it's going to block anything out unless you're shooting prairie dogs at 600yds plus. Those stadia lines are barely thin enough to see.
Other than the German 1, 2, and 4 Reticles and variations of same almost all reticles will have some sort of vertical line above the crosshair.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/optics/Premier_Reticles.pdf
Even without subtensions they are useful for quickly gaging inches if you know the height of the target.

I don't know how it's going to block anything out unless you're shooting prairie dogs at 600yds plus. Those stadia lines are barely thin enough to see.
Other than the German 1, 2, and 4 Reticles and variations of same almost all reticles will have some sort of vertical line above the crosshair.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/optics/Premier_Reticles.pdf
Even without subtensions they are useful for quickly gaging inches if you know the height of the target.

Great link, thank you for adding it to the thread. It's amusing to me that the source is Premier Reticles, a company which no longer exists. It's come to my attention that a Canadian company 'Tangent Theta' absorbed Premier's assets (and all that came along with it), and is now manufacturing 'no-compromise' scopes at a premium price point.

As a math person, and especially along this line of thinking (reticles, subtensions, heights, distance) I really love the name; Tangent Theta. After all, our subject here might as well be applied trigonometry.

WildRose mentioned knowing and using the height of your target for determining holds. I think that is obvious to those who hunt a lot, but I would like to examine it a little more closely, as it applies to reticles - or how we use them at least.

Referencing the coyote hunt, @WildRose said he dialed his scope in for 600yd. 3 Coyotes appeared, 2 lined up, and got the same bullet. That's impressive, and so exciting I think it wasn't until I re-read his post that I noticed the significance of what followed.

The third coyote started to retreat, and our shooter measured him in the reticle, and used the target's height - about 2' as a holdover. Obviously the shooter understands his trajectory at some subconscious level, and comes to most who practice at varying distances. Pretty amazing shot, considering the size of a coyote's kill box, the range, and the fact it was on the move.

What's most interesting to me is not the result (dead coyote at ~750yd) but how the shooter made that happen with such simplex calculation. This story provides evidence of how a SFP scope can be used to advantage in the field - that is using the hash marks as a reference instead of a value. Thank you @WildRose, that was a really important insight for me.

Give the Leupold TMOA and Impact reticles a look.

I find that a lot of the reticles just get to be "too busy", too much stuff for me to sort out.

Simple is good.

The MP-8 is about as busy as I want to deal with in the field.

If I have time to dial a simple German or Duplex reticle is plenty.

If I'm having to make a quick shot using the reticle to calculate the shot on the fly I don't want any more information in the lens than is necessary to do so.

As for the pig kill'n, I torture Mario with pictures and play by play on pretty much all of them just because he can't be here with me HA!

We've got so many mostly it's strictly a control operation but I sure do like eating them. Having to kill so many though I have a rule, if I'm alone and it's dark or close to dark I'm not picking anything up that doesn't drop stone dead.

If I get hurt going after a wounded hog my wife will probably take a broom to my head.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really like the Impact Reticle. @Canhunter35 likes his in a 6.5-20, @AGL4now is shopping for one right now in 4-24, the recommendations couldn't get any stronger. Unfortunately this reticle is only available SFP, and FFP version is called CCH, very much 'hashier' and for which I can find no subtensions anywhere.

I agree that simple is good, in fact I know it to be 'the way'. I like your assertion that dialling a simple duplex can work. As long as the magnification is there - which begs the question what magnification are you guys running at 500-700yd?

I really want to give FFP a go. trying hard to talk myself into Kahles 624i. Wishing the IOR recon 4-28x didn't weigh 39oz. Thinking Lupold mk6 3-18x44 with TMR probably fits my criteria best.

If a mark 6 or a Kahles fits ur budget you might as well look at tangent theta scopes too. They only come in ffp

If a mark 6 or a Kahles fits ur budget you might as well look at tangent theta scopes too. They only come in ffp

Good suggestion, for service reasons it makes a lot of sense to buy domestic. They don't really fit my budget - if I get 20yrs of service out of the thing I could maybe talk myself into justifying a low cost of ownership... Also, I am not opposed to buying used, so with some patience i may just end up with whichever good deal I come across first. I try to fund the hobby with coyote pelts, so what's a dozen more coyotes, eh? We have a lot of them down here this year, and I'm friends with some sheep farmers...

I would like to check out tangent theta. Attached is their milling reticle (1 of 3 options). The TT315M is the most basic of 3 scopes they offer. Here in Canada it costs slightly more than than the IOR Recon which is the scope to rule them all, in terms of raw capability. The kahles 624i and lupold mk6 (w/o illumination) cost about 25% less, which is significant.

TT315p has a larger main tube (more adjustment) and bigger fancier turrets, and the TT525P has the same, with more magnification. These are not within my realm of po$$ibility for me at this time.

image.jpg

Bottom line is, I'm not too concerned with glass. Any of these optics are going to be better than my current old zeiss/old lupold, which are already waaaay better than my naked eye in twilight. That's why I titled this thread '...reticles' - And fortunately for me TT isn't in my top 3! I don't need to count the whiskers, I just need a stadia that doesn't cover the whole 'yote at 500m!

Here is a coyote at 474m, photo through my 15x electronically stabilized binoculars
image.jpg

While perfectly adequate, I think it would be nice to have a bit more magnification for shooting. From an ethical point of view, that's about a 1moa target. I had a 4x zeiss with me, and passed on what would be an easy shot for many of the folks here. Plan is to mount a better optic on the old pre '64 m70 in .270win I inherited from my grandfather after a winter on the .223.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input again. It's been a journey for me and I've really learned a lot about reticles. One reticle that wasn't mentioned is the Bushnell G2H - it's their tactical G2 with a 4mil dohnut - great for preserving the aim point at low mag. Available on the LRHS series. image.jpg

After far too much consideration I have decided to forego the aquisition of a FFP optic at this time. The dream lives on, and perhaps it will be realized with my next .300 mag (I'm thinking WSM on a long action).

Based on all the support here for the Impact-29 ret, I decided to try a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. It will keep this heirloom .270 classy, and provide a solid 400-600yd platform for me to grow with. With any luck I can show this rifle what it's like to take an antelope. I don't think it's ever done that before!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input again. It's been a journey for me and I've really learned a lot about reticles. One reticle that wasn't mentioned is the Bushnell G2H - it's their tactical G2 with a 4mil dohnut - great for preserving the aim point at low mag. Available on the LRHS series. View attachment 84597

After far too much consideration I have decided to forego the aquisition of a FFP optic at this time. The dream lives on, and perhaps it will be realized with my next .300 mag (I'm thinking WSM on a long action).

Based on all the support here for the Impact-29 ret, I decided to try a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. It will keep this heirloom .270 classy, and provide a solid 400-600yd platform for me to grow with. With any luck I can show this rifle what it's like to take an antelope. I don't think it's ever done that before!
Consider adding Illumination to the required features.

You'll be glad you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.