Let's talk 6.5s

This is as close to what your looking for that I own..
she is an smr timberline finished 23" including the break chambered in 260
shoots the 140 vld at a verfied 2575 with 43.5 grains of 4831 I'm sure you could get more mv pretty easy but it shoots consistently.4 or.3 moa as is so I don't mess with it.
rifle weighs in at 9 pounds as she sits with bipod
and 4x16x50 xlr (21.4 oz) certainly could be made lighter if one wanted

Attachments

• 20141229_102203.jpg
    20141229_102203.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 94
The fireball you mention is exactly what im trying to avoid. Im interested in the short barrel because it saves weight. This is going on a mountain rifle, and id like it to be sub six pounds all up. However, I would rather sacrifice a few oz and get a longer barrel then kill my ballistics... Sounds like the 260 or 6.5 cm in a 22 inch barrel is what is gonna work best. the rifle will still be light weight, but prolly not sub 6 lbs.

Sensible approach.

What is your budget?

Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel, ultra light carbon+Kevlar stock, titanium scope rings, 4-12x40 Leopold. Cheap at twice the weight.

The 6.5 SS is a serious wildcat BUT it would let you make weight and run a 140 3000 fps with ease in a 22 in barrel, a Pierce Ti action and mounts, #3 fluted contour in a edge fill Manners with even a heavier optic like a Vortex will run 6.5 Lbs ish. The short fat powder column burns very fast and efficient, the next best thing would be a 6.5 SAUM.

Sensible approach.

What is your budget?

Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel, ultra light carbon+Kevlar stock, titanium scope rings, 4-12x40 Leopold. Cheap at twice the weight.

Pierce titanium action, Kreiger 0 contour barrel (was hoping for 16-20 inch, but might need to consider 22 inch), MPI Kevlar stock (Doc said it would finish at around 16-20 oz depending on which recoil pad is used), taleys and a light weight leupold, then id just throw a handmade paracord sling on there.

Should I consider stepping up to the 7-08? Some of the heavier 7mm bullets have impressive BCs.

I have a Savage LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor. Beautiful little rifle and I like it a lot but the pencil thin 20" barrel is not a plus by any means. The Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter is a better platform.

This is as close to what your looking for that I own..
she is an smr timberline finished 23" including the break chambered in 260
shoots the 140 vld at a verfied 2575 with 43.5 grains of 4831 I'm sure you could get more mv pretty easy but it shoots consistently.4 or.3 moa as is so I don't mess with it.
rifle weighs in at 9 pounds as she sits with bipod
and 4x16x50 xlr (21.4 oz) certainly could be made lighter if one wanted

Hey 406, what's up with the tiny shellholder on the side? I wouldn't mind having something like that on my deer rifle... Where can I get one of those, or is that a "homemade" piece? :D

Short action precision..I saw them on the prs series shooters rifles and now all my rifles sport them. They attach with velcro so very adaptable. Great idea wish I'd came up with it.

Jordan@406

If you are willing to change some of your build parameters and lengthen your barrel to 24" my vote goes for the 6.5 SAUM. I have a GAP-built rifle and took it to 1117 this past weekend w/ 130gr bergers. They're moving at 3200fps. We were just over 900' ASL where we were shooting and it only took 7.9 mils to get there! The 6.5 SAUM is one seriously awesome cartridge.

I have a Savage LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor. Beautiful little rifle and I like it a lot but the pencil thin 20" barrel is not a plus by any means. The Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter is a better platform.

I don't like flimsy savage stocks unless they are the accustock. I do LOVE savages for cheaper budget friendly applications though. He could find a used predator hunter, then put a better stock on it though! Boyds laminates are great stocks but you will need to bed it.

If you are willing to change some of your build parameters and lengthen your barrel to 24" my vote goes for the 6.5 SAUM. I have a GAP-built rifle and took it to 1117 this past weekend w/ 130gr bergers. They're moving at 3200fps. We were just over 900' ASL where we were shooting and it only took 7.9 mils to get there! The 6.5 SAUM is one seriously awesome cartridge.

I don't think I need that much power. 5-600 yards is about the max I'd be shooting. I need it to be lightweight so I can carry it all day up steep mountains. I think a 22 inch barrel would produce good ballistics.

I don't think I need that much power. 5-600 yards is about the max I'd be shooting. I need it to be lightweight so I can carry it all day up steep mountains. I think a 22 inch barrel would produce good ballistics.

6.5 Creedmoor or 260 will be all that you need for that. Both will give you great barrel life with very low recoil while still maintaining mid 2800's with the 140's.

6.5x47 is a perfect fit in a 2.800" 700 magazine box w/o having to seat bullets down into the powder like the longer rounds do.

My reamer has .123" freebore, and my OAL length with 130 VLD's is 2.750", in the lands a bit. Best accuracy is at 2830 with the 130's, and scary accuracy to 1000+.

My barrel is a #3 Brux, cut to 23". Muzzle diameter is about .630", so fretting too much over length in the smaller contours isn't a big deal. Each inch is only about an ounce in a #3 6.5 cal.

8tcy.jpg

v9r8.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.