Let's Talk Weatherby

ShortBbl,

You already know my opinion.

I have the .257 Wby Mag in the Accumark V. It's just stupid accurate. It has the muzzle brake.

Since we're talking Wby I have a question for to the other Wby. owners-do you have the brake, and if so do you like it? I think it helps the accuracy, but it obviously makes the gun a little longer and heavier.

Interested in your comments.

What scope do you have on yours? I'm debating getting set up to carry Vortex in my shop.... but, not sure. Nightforce might be good too.... of course we are getting a bit further from my original price range... but.... We'll see!

While I haven't owned as many Weatherby's as some on this forum, I've owned over a dozen ranging from 22 LR up to 340 Wby plus a few of their shotguns.

I'm a big fan of the 257 Wby and planning on converting my Eurosport to a long range antelope/mule deer rifle as a winter project.

As it sits right now with its number 2 contour barrel, it will shoot 115gr Barnes TSX bullets inside of .70 consistently. Not great when compared to others, but for a production rifle that hasn't had any modifications done to it, good enough for my purposes.

my opinion..if your going to buy a weatherby buy a weatherby.NOT a vanguard..you pay for a weatherby name on a vanguard but your buying a howa rifle..why spend the extra 100 to 150 for a name who doesnt even make the rifle..again my opinion

Weatherby has helped me to "do the right thing" in regards to Vangard or Mark V... I'm a southpaw, so my option is Mark V.... no Vgard for me!

I'm looking at a few options for rifles. I "probably" will be sticking to only Deer and Antelope, but someday, if all my stars align (LOL) I'd love to go Elk hunting... it's my dream. Ok, so.....

I'm probably going to only buy one rifle and sadly, I like to buy GOOD, vs. semi-good.... so. Being a Lefty, my options seem like Weatherby, Sako (if I stumble upon one), maybe a new Browning XBOLT if they are any good?.... Remington possibly.

For this post though, how are factory made Weatherby rifles thought of for longer range shooting? I could be talked into an UltraLight 257 perhaps. I'm wondering if the Weatherby rounded shoulder is a problem for reloading? Are the guns "All That" as they say? Are they better than for instance, a Ruger Hawkeye? A Sako?

Let's hear some WEatherby comments.

Thanks guys!

If you are sticking to good v. semi-good, Sako, Weatherby, & Browning are all candidates, as are Montana Rifle Company, Savage & a few others. Remington & Ruger are a step below this crowd (even though I own both). I've never seen a Sako that didn't function wonderfully & shoot better yet. The Weatherby Mark-V is a superb action, and the Accu-Mark is ready to shoot. The Mark-V Ultra Light Weight is a great cary rifle, but this only guarantees 1.5" groups even though in .257 Weatherby it will often shoot .75" or better groups. Remington & Ruger rifles often require a fair amount of work & new triggers before they can be called "shooters".

My question is why you are thinking "1-gun" for everything? Years ago, I did the same & bought the best 7 MM Rem mag I could find since that seemed to be the best "book" choice for hunting deer & elk. It was a very nice gun & I still have it, but it was too much gun for most deer hunting & barely enough for elk hunting. After studying the literature and actually shooting game with many different rifles, I can say that for me, deer hunting means a rifle starting with a .243 & topping out with a .25-06 or .257 Weatherby. (The .25-06 & .260 Rem are probably the best all-round deer cartridges ever produced.) Likewise, for me, elk rifles start with a .300 mags & run through a .375 H&H. The .338 mags are probably the best all-round choice for elk hunting. Deer are medium game while elk are definitely BIG game. If you want one gun for all, I can guarantee it will not be the best choice for one animal, and may not be the best choice for any animal you hunt.

Weatherby shells are as easy to reload as any belted cased shell.

my opinion..if your going to buy a weatherby buy a weatherby.NOT a vanguard..you pay for a weatherby name on a vanguard but your buying a howa rifle..why spend the extra 100 to 150 for a name who doesnt even make the rifle..again my opinion

Go over to Gunbroker and check the prices. Generally the Howa rifles cost more than the Wby Vanguards, usually by the same amount you mention. It surprises me every time I compare.

How do you weatherby fans justify the cost of ammo if you don't reload? Was looking last night and some 30-378 cost 129.99 per 20 rounds, 338 Lapua is cheaper then that. I have been looking long and hard at the 257 mag, I reload, but still most factory ammo is 70+ bucks

What is the difference between the Mark V and the Accumark Mark V?
I'm glad to find out that the Vanguard was made by Howa. I had my eye on a Vanguard.

What is the difference between the Mark V and the Accumark Mark V?
I'm glad to find out that the Vanguard was made by Howa. I had my eye on a Vanguard.

Yes, the Vanguard is a Howa 1500 barreled action. Those that shoot well are marketed as "sub-MOA" rifles (for added $$), which tells me those without that label are not likely going to shoot well without "work".

Go to the Weatherby site & look at the many options. The Accumark is their composite stocked version with a heavier stainless-fluted barrel. I've never seen an Accumark that didn't shoot .75 moa or better, and I would expect an Accumark in .257 Weatherby mag to shoot around .25 moa.

If I were to buy a .257 mag from Weatherby it would likely be the ultra light weight, which is the same as the Accumark but with a thinner barrel which makes it fitting for L-O-N-G walks over rough ground.

There are used Weatherby Mark-V rifles sold all the time. I just saw a nice one sold for $600 with blued metal & a pretty wood stock. (The buyer told me he's shooting .2 moa groups with it.)

I have 2 - 300 Wby's , Ultralite and Euromark. One should be a .257 but ! ! ! Love the Ultra for carry. I replaced the trigger with a Timmney. I highly recommend this. I also shot a full compliment of Tubb lapping bullets through it. I could feel the difference when I cleaned it the first time. First in awhile I cleaned it. Sweets 7.62 and brush , brush and clean out and oil. I was a amazed how fast. If you feel your having any trouble with a barrel- especially stainless , don't over look Tubb bullets. You don't have to shoot a full compliment. Yea , my Euromark is more for show.

Yes, the Vanguard is a Howa 1500 barreled action. Those that shoot well are marketed as "sub-MOA" rifles (for added $$), which tells me those without that label are not likely going to shoot well without "work".

All of the new S2 versions of the Vanguard are guaranteed sub-moa.

Vanguard Series 2 | Weatherby.com

The former Sub-MOA models were usually randomly chosen from the barrelled actions deliverd by Howa and placed into different stocks after the accuracy was verified. Most Vanguard owners get sub-moa accuracy with the original series Vanguards without any "work", and I'm sure it will happen with the new ones too.

I'm looking at a few options for rifles. I "probably" will be sticking to only Deer and Antelope, but someday, if all my stars align (LOL) I'd love to go Elk hunting... it's my dream. Ok, so.....

I'm probably going to only buy one rifle and sadly, I like to buy GOOD, vs. semi-good.... so. Being a Lefty, my options seem like Weatherby, Sako (if I stumble upon one), maybe a new Browning XBOLT if they are any good?.... Remington possibly.

For this post though, how are factory made Weatherby rifles thought of for longer range shooting? I could be talked into an UltraLight 257 perhaps. I'm wondering if the Weatherby rounded shoulder is a problem for reloading? Are the guns "All That" as they say? Are they better than for instance, a Ruger Hawkeye? A Sako?

Let's hear some WEatherby comments.

Thanks guys!

I've had many Weatherby rifles over the past 45 years.... Of all those rifles some of which I still have; the 257 Wby Mags was my favorite. I believe the most accurate was the 26" inch {a must barrel length} MK V Accumark, hands down. I was never that happy with the Vanguards I bought, there nice rifles but not a Mark V.
I think Roy Weatherby caliber of choice was the .257 Wby Mag.
I shot both Deer and Elk with the .257 Wby Mags, not too mention a few Yotes one at perhaps the longest distance I ever shot one.
My bullet of choice was the 100gr blue coated Barnes for everything.
Good luck

I own a mark V in 308 and a vanguard in 243. Both grate rifles.. If I could change two things. One would be to have a 54* bolt lift on the vangaud. The other is to put a composit stock on my mark V. Witch will happen when I find one I like.
You can't go wrong with ether.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.