Let's talk Bipods

Great reply's guys, I will probably take a look at the magpul if I can somewhere??

This is for a hunting rifle, Sendero barreled 270wsm, no brake. I would really rather not use a bipod at all but seem to shoot more consistently with one, maybe just need to practice more of a backpack?? Or off sticks??

Again thanks for all the reply's!!

Gary

I seen them advertised, and I think OpticsPlanet carries them. I saw mine at a local gun/knife show and bought it there. It's much lighter than a Harris. Keep in mind its a Magpul so it's made mostly of plastic.

Had a nice hunt with the Hatch bipod. rock solid. I was able to rapidly get into a kneeling position and take a nice boar. No issues at all with this bipod.

I have 2 harris pods, 6-9 that is mostly for prone and bench target and killing rocks. When I head to the mtns. I put on a bigger version 13 to 27 inch both have a swivel base. When hunting if I only need 8 or 10 inches of lift, I will use my pack, but in sage or on a steep hill, the bigger bipod is great.

I recently bought a Primos Trigger Stick (Gen 2 I think). I used one once will sitting with my back against a tree and it was "rock-solid". I ordered mine immediately after I got back to camp that night. It's very handy and adjusts with just one had quickly. Can also function as a walking stick too.

I also have a bog pod tripod that I have shortened, might have to try that in conjunction with the backpack.

I recently bought a Primos Trigger Stick (Gen 2 I think). I used one once will sitting with my back against a tree and it was "rock-solid". I ordered mine immediately after I got back to camp that night. It's very handy and adjusts with just one had quickly. Can also function as a walking stick too.
I like the concept, but wish they were lighter in weight. For me, just too heavy to pack along on long treks through the mountains. Happy it works for you though.

I agree the Magpul looks good, but have not had one in my hands.
I have several Versa-Pod models I like. I believe they are a copy of an old Parker-Hale design. I don't see them mentioned here.
There also appear to be a lot of really inexpensive Chinese Atlas copies on eBay. Anyone try these?

Gary, I have recently been through the exact same dilemma. Here is what I ended up doing. I purchased a Harris S-LM 9"-13" Bipod. I wanted the 9"-13" as the 9" max was too short for me to shoot much uphill and get a good shoulder/cheek weld. I put an Alpha Bravo Bipod Lock on it and also added some Hawk Hill Customs Spiked Harris Replacement Feet. These are both luxury add ons that are not needed if you want to keep the cost down.
When hunting the bipod stays in my pack unless I have a shot past about 300 yards. I am comfortable shooting off of my pack until about that distance. However, at 300+ yards I also know that I will have time. I will then take the bipod out attach it to my front sling swivel post (you could absolutely get a rail adapter as mentioned by a few others if you wanted), get ballistics readings, then launch.
Hello, I shoot Remington model 700 Sendaro in 3 different calibers. Did not this it was possible to attach bipods that quickly. What is needed to do this as I would love to be able to do this on bench and when hunting and shooting long distance as you.

Hello, I shoot Remington model 700 Sendaro in 3 different calibers. Did not this it was possible to attach bipods that quickly. What is needed to do this as I would love to be able to do this on bench and when hunting and shooting long distance as you.

If you have a sling swivel stud on the front of your stock you can attach a bipod, that is probably the most popular method.

i havent seen the magpul anywhere, i'd like to finger one myself and see if i would like it. i've alwasy been a harris 6-9 fan. they're made in the USA, they're the perfect heigh (for me) and they arent $300 like an atlas. for my AR's i use a small section of rail that comes with it, then a sling adapter on that.
I have the magpul and like it. Run it on a couple AR10s haven't tried it on a bolt gun. It's worth the 100 for so dollars.

You say you are putting this on a hunting rig. I'd say you should at least take a look at the Swagger bipods. They aren't as heavy as they look and are perfect in a situation like calling coyotes. And they now have the conventional bipod new for this year.
https://swaggerbipods.com/

3C9CB5ED-38B1-4945-9564-4FC798BF811D.jpeg
I have a rrs adapter for my Harris bipod and like it better than my atlas. If I could get a decent price for my atlas I'd sell it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.