Lets Talk Primers

Can't seem to find them on the sight right now. You may have to call and see if they have any for sale if you want to try them.

Tank

Actually I don't need any primers. I have enough 215, 215M, 210, and 210M to last 2 lifetimes....more than I'll ever shoot for sure.

I think I have tried all of them at one time or another. I use mostly BR2's, as I have a few on hand and my loads seem to be consistent with them. They shoot well in most cartridges I have owned, from the .22-250 to the .300WinMag.
I recently tried the CCI250 for S&G in a load using H1000/190gnSMK for my .300WinMag and was pleasantly surprised. The first load (79.0gn)averaged 3078fps, ES was 7.83, SD; 4.12 and the group measured .142". As good as any BR primer I ever used.
I have used alot of the Rem 9.5 and 9.5M's and have not had any misfires with them ever. I have tried them in most of the cartridges listed above and have obtained accurate, repeatable loads.
I have used everything that Federal and Winchester has to offer and just don't use them because I don't have them on hand.
I have my favorites but I really believe I, or anyone for that matter, could find a accurate load with any brand if I, or they, had too.

Here's a chart I've had for some time. Might shed some light, might shed some confusion. :)

Primer Testing Reference

Federal 210M and 215M are the only way to go. I have noticed less ES in velocity of loads using the match primers. The cost for Match primers is negligable to standard primers as well.:D

Many years ago I used whatever primers the local shop had on the shelf. I guess I didn't know any better or much care as we constantly had to re-zero our rifles after mucho miles running up and down caliche roads.

But, since you guys got me hooked on this long range quest, I strive a lot for consistency and will only buy match primers. 210M (25-06, 6.5x284, 270, 30-06) and 215m (7mm Mag) are my preference. I couldn't get 210m's last summer and so bought 1,000 BR2's that seem to also be very consistent.

My theory is that I'm after consistency more so than optimization. Sticking with one primer is easy. Keeping the runout <=.002" has been a challenge from time to time.

Along those lines, I pretty much stick with h4831sc and rl22. I may not dial in the perfect load. But, I'm pretty satisfied that it's good enough for long range hunting. (white tail out to 700 yds is my objective)

I have to send a huge thank you out to all of you folks and 6mmbr.com for the pointers. I'm sure I'd still be experimenting with every bullet, powder, primer combination. But, I've been pleased so far working up loads using components that reputable competetive shooters have been willing to share.

Thanks!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.