Let's talk Bipods

frostop

I am in the market for a new Bipod, I'm looking for one that works with a picatinny.
I am currently running a inexpensive Caldwell, I like the 6"-9" height. The Caldwell works but is kinda cheasy! I don't want to spend $300 on an atlas or alike! I have noticed the Magpul which looks promising but haven't had one in my hands? The harris pod alway's get good praise but don't appear to have a picatinny specific one?

Also what is everyone's experience when it come to poi when switching from bipod to say shooting off a backpack??

Gary

I have a quick lock 6-9" Harris swivel that does what it needs to do. It's what I use for my hunting rifles, if I had to get one for a long range build I would put out for the atlas.

Edit- forgot to add I have it on the Larue bipod peg to pic rail qd adapter. Makes it quick and easy to change or just plain remove.

I had a atlas and had a hard time shooting decent groups. Switched to a Harris and am much happier. My atlas was a older model and had a lot of movement in the legs. Was causing lots of vertical.

I have used Harris bipods for a long time and found them unreliable with heavy recoiling light rifles. Even loaded, I tended to get bipod bounce on certain floors. I'm using the new magpul bipod now with great success. It has slight forward and aft play, which makes it nice to load. I don't have any issues with bipod bounce using the magpul.

Harris swivel with notched legs or atlas are pretty good entry level or just general use. Yes you can get bipod bounce on hard surfaces with like concrete, but it's not the bipods fault. The rifle does not jump, it comes straight back until the recoil pad makes contact with you. If your shoulder is angled back to the right then the butt slides right and the POA goes left. Try to get some video, you may discover it's not as much bipod hopping left as the rifle butt/bag scootching right.

The same applies to handguns, recoil management is a form of technique, doesn't matter how old you are or how long you've been shooting, if you are managing recoil, you're sights will come back to where they were after every shot, at a close to cyclic rate of of sustained fire.

There are various pic rail adapters that can convert the Harris. I use one from MPA that works well. They run $50-$100. I also own Atlas and Evolution bipods, the latter being a favorite for its light weight, and availability of quick change leg lengths. For shooting off a bench(hard surfaces), I have found that setting the legs of the Atlas and Evolution at the 45 degree forward position improves accuracy off a bench or other hard surface, with consistent POI with bags or mechanical front rests. Practice using a bipod to determine optimum loading and hold is neccessary for good results. IMO.
Shown: Evolution Bipod on my 6.5x284 hunter, and Bench vs prone accuracy
68ED26B2-727D-48AE-9D5E-00BD93854D06.jpeg 0176E94E-B628-465B-990F-C2CB327B9C1F.jpeg

There are various pic rail adapters that can convert the Harris. I use one from MPA that works well. They run $50-$100. I also own Atlas and Evolution bipods, the latter being a favorite for its light weight, and availability of quick change leg lengths. For shooting off a bench(hard surfaces), I have found that setting the legs of the Atlas and Evolution at the 45 degree forward position improves accuracy off a bench or other hard surface, with consistent POI with bags or mechanical front rests. Practice using a bipod to determine optimum loading and hold is neccessary for good results. IMO.
Shown: Evolution Bipod on my 6.5x284 hunter, and Bench vs prone accuracy
View attachment 128450 View attachment 128451

I agree with Greyfox. Save a little longer and get either one of the Bipods mentioned...you won't regret it later.

I also have the 6-9 inch, but would advise getting the next longer leg model or purchase leg extensions. 6-9 is great for bench or level ground, but a tad too short for most practical hunting situations.

Great reply's guys, I will probably take a look at the magpul if I can somewhere??

This is for a hunting rifle, Sendero barreled 270wsm, no brake. I would really rather not use a bipod at all but seem to shoot more consistently with one, maybe just need to practice more of a backpack?? Or off sticks??

Again thanks for all the reply's!!

Gary

Great reply's guys, I will probably take a look at the magpul if I can somewhere??

This is for a hunting rifle, Sendero barreled 270wsm, no brake. I would really rather not use a bipod at all but seem to shoot more consistently with one, maybe just need to practice more of a backpack?? Or off sticks??

Again thanks for all the reply's!!

Gary
I found my bipod to actually help when shooting off of sticks standing. Gave me a nice handle to grip the rifle and the saddle of the sticks in a sort of pinching motion.

i havent seen the magpul anywhere, i'd like to finger one myself and see if i would like it. i've alwasy been a harris 6-9 fan. they're made in the USA, they're the perfect heigh (for me) and they arent $300 like an atlas. for my AR's i use a small section of rail that comes with it, then a sling adapter on that.

Gary, I have recently been through the exact same dilemma. Here is what I ended up doing. I purchased a Harris S-LM 9"-13" Bipod. I wanted the 9"-13" as the 9" max was too short for me to shoot much uphill and get a good shoulder/cheek weld. I put an Alpha Bravo Bipod Lock on it and also added some Hawk Hill Customs Spiked Harris Replacement Feet. These are both luxury add ons that are not needed if you want to keep the cost down.
When hunting the bipod stays in my pack unless I have a shot past about 300 yards. I am comfortable shooting off of my pack until about that distance. However, at 300+ yards I also know that I will have time. I will then take the bipod out attach it to my front sling swivel post (you could absolutely get a rail adapter as mentioned by a few others if you wanted), get ballistics readings, then launch.

Well, I think the snow is gone enough for some shooting here in North Idaho.
Gonna have to load up a box and just try some different things!

This rifle is heavy enough that I don't use this particular rifle in a spot and stalk hunt, it could be done but I have a factory 30.06 for that! This rifle, I generally find a spot and sit and I'm very comfortable out to 300 but want to be comfortable out to 700 with it!

John your suggestion makes good sense in that situation! Gonna have to do some serious practice over a backpack into paper. And hopefully get things all dialed in before Bear Season is here!

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.