Let’s talk Bipods

Christopher Hanes

Hey Guys,

Years ago I broke away from using a bipod on my hunting rifle because they were cumbersome, heavy, and often detrimental to accuracy. I've been using small tripods, bags, and shooting off my pack. While these methods have been effective, there have been a lot of advancements in bipods. I'm thinking of going back to a bipod but curious to hear what people are using?

I would want it to be quickly detachable, lightweight, and easily used among multiple rifles.

What's out there?

thanks
CH

In the same spot as you. Looking at Atlas right now, will be interested to see what this post brings.

Hey Guys,

Years ago I broke away from using a bipod on my hunting rifle because they were cumbersome, heavy, and often detrimental to accuracy. I've been using small tripods, bags, and shooting off my pack. While these methods have been effective, there have been a lot of advancements in bipods. I'm thinking of going back to a bipod but curious to hear what people are using?

I would want it to be quickly detachable, lightweight, and easily used among multiple rifles.

What's out there?

thanks
CH
About the only thing that has really changed is a small weight reduction with some models, and the ability to quick detach from a picatinney rail. The bulk of a bipod and mechanics of shooting from one remain unchanged.

I have atlas and Harris. Atlas is the way to go. I have the short model and recently purchased the 3 inch extensions. The short model as it is works great when shooting off the bench or at the range, however adding the 3 inch extensions makes it more adeptable in hunting situations. Also, quickly installs or removes from a rifle.

I have the KDC bipod. It can go from 27" down to 6". It weighs 5 oz. so far so good.

By all accounts, this is the new darling of the PRS crowd. Kinda spendy, limited runs... but almost everyone who has one raves about them and sells their Atlas bipods shortly thereafter. I've got a couple good deals that way ;)

Actually, initially people were saying that it was a great *field* bipod, but maybe not as well suited to the PRS 'gamer' scene. Looks like they made a slightly shorter version for those guys.

I've had/used a javelin when they offered a nice discount on rokslide. Obviously very light weight, easy on/off with the magnet. I would say a Harris or atlas will be more stable. I use atlas the majority of the time, but I'm not packing in miles or counting ounces like some do/need to do

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.