lee collet dies/rcbs dies/foster bonanza dies/who's dies are best?

30-06 boy

lee collet dies/rcbs dies/foster bonanza dies/who\'s dies are best?

hi guys,i have used redding comp dies before and really liked them.now i'm looking for the best of the cheaper dies that will load the best ammo. any suggestions?

Re: lee collet dies/rcbs dies/foster bonanza dies/who\'s dies are best?

Why not go back to the Redding? They are still #1. The new Forester benchrest are good. The new RCBS micrometer dies are supposed to be like the Forester. Lots of folks use the Lee collet dies. You get what you pay for in seating dies. It is hard to beat the bushing type dies like the Redding if you want very low runouts.

i personally like to use Hornady New Dimension Dies. All of my dies are Hornady and I think they are just as good as the expensive stuff. don't go with lee, youd be better off hammering the bullets in and taking a needle and hammer for the primer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

usmc,do the new dimension dies(hornady) you speak of have the "new" seater system with the sliding sleve and bullet seater plug?i have a set of these and am not real fond of them.thinking about sending them back.the locating "sleve"in the seater die is generic caliber specific..308 is used for all .308 caliber cartriges,only locates the neck.bullet runout with this setup was not very good.have you checked yours?

What cartrige/cartriges are you reloading? I've reloaded dozens over the years, mostly with RCBS dies, however, I've recently gone to using Lee Collet dies. I bought a RCBS concentricity tester and was disappointed with the RCBS dies. The Lee Collet dies show almost no case runout and my 270 reloads almost no bullet runout (000 to .002 at the worst).

I am having a problem with 22-250 bullet runout. There is virtually no case runout with the Collet dies but the Lee bullet seater is having a hard time with those short .22 bullets. Bullet runout with the Lee seater runs .002 to .008. I also have Hornady's New Dimension dies and their bullet seater doesn't do much better than Lee's - bullet runout is .002 to .006.

I am going to stay with the Lee Collet dies for sizing but am considering the Foster or Redding seating dies for the 22-250. For larger calibers, the Lee dies are great "for the money" and are hard to beat without spending a lot more money.

Everyone has had different experiences with different dies,and of course the Reddings are the best, but for a "factory" rifle, I don't think you can beat the Lee Dies.

Do a search and you will quickly find a strong following using the Lee collet neck sizing die. I have not found any neck sizing die to be better, just more expensive.

I have used a variety of seating dies and usually find no big issue as the problems start at the sizing stage. The hornady seating die has a nice idea but more gimick then function. If they would make that sleeve actual cartridge specific, they would have a very nice set up. Same idea as the Forster.

Jerry

30-06Boy--What was the exact cause of your runnout. Are you saying that you had really good runnout after sizing but not after seating?? I've had really good luck with hornady dies but they may be slightly suseptable to different bullet profiles.

I have lee collet dies, forester dies and hornady.....The hornady (If the sizing die is set right) can make as good of finished ammo as the others...or at least so says my rcbs concentricity gauge.

I certainly agree. You can't beat the Lee collet dies. My RCBS dies are only used for full lenght resizing.

Ditto on the Lee dies. I've had really good success with these!

thanks for the repies guys.i think my problems with bullet runout (as much as .007/.008 on some loaded rounds)is coming from both sizing/seat dies.i'm going to try the lee dies.30-06 caliber.neck sized cases have an average of .002 neck runout.bullet runout is much better with 168 matchkings.much worse with 186 bergers.thanks again

Here's my method for fine tuning dies. It works great for me and some others have responded that it worked great for them;

My $.02 worth---ALL dies with expander balls need tuning. Think about it...a piece of typing paper is .003" thick--what are the odds that the expander is not PERFECTLY centered in a die and could pull a case slightly off center??? Pretty good I'd say. Pull the expander stem out of the die (and now is a good time to clean the inside of the die). Run about 5 brass into the die and see if they come out concentric. If they do (and usually they will) you now have to try and get that stem centered on re-assembly. A great way that helps is to put a piece of very concentric brass up into the die to hold the stem in place as you tighten it down. Sometimes this takes 2 people unless you have 3 or 4 hands. AFter reassembly try sizing some brass and check runnout. If not good then do very small turns of the expander stem--probably 1/32 of a turn at a time. Resize some brass and repeat the small turns. At some point I can almost guarantee that you will get GREAT RUNNOUT CONSISTANTLY. (Somehow, someway the expander spindle will hit almost perfect centering in the die body) I have many dies that consistantly make less than .002" runnout after sizing with most of the brass at .001" and less. I own, hornady, redding, forester, rcbs, and lee dies. ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN TUNED and most make fantastic ammo and all make good ammo!! I have never ever got a set of dies from any factory that made as good of ammo as those that I have done this simple work with.

One last thought. I think a low angle inside mouth deburrer is a NECESSARY tool on the reloding bench. Lyman makes a cheap one that comes in a wood handle. Screw off the wood handle and throw it away and chuck the tool in a drill. I've found "not" carefull chamferering can cause bullet runnout on seating. The bullet should go in with perfect tension. With my old rcbs deburrer I always kind of felt a "pop" as it started and sometimes could shave the bullet slightly. This lyman tool is about $12 and is worth every penny!

Hi guys, Im a novice reloader. Could someone please explain what runout(case runout and bullet runout) means?
Thanks
Fred

I've use the Lee collet die for many years on the 7 mag and 243. Runout is .001 to .0015 all day long. Love them!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.