Lee collet dies

...I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to get them set up, and how much pressure to put on the handle. All I seem to be able to do is pop the caps off. I don't think I am cranking on them too hard, but apparently I am.

I have a Forster Co-Ax press. I've been wondering if I would have better luck using them in a Rock Chucker or a Redding Boss press.
25 lbs of force on the handle of one press does not create the same ram force as 25 lbs of force on another press' handle. Take note of the location of the handle when the shell holder contacts the die. Pressure on the ram is continuously variable. You have to find something that works and stay with it. Threading the die in further changes the location of the handle when the die bottoms out, reducing the pressure exerted by the ram. Another way is to simply exert less force on the handle. How about a combination?

Last edited:
I wish Lee would execute some of their great ideas better!

The Lee press does not "toggle over". I disagree that a consistent stop is not a benefit (if not required) - certainly with my Rockchucker I need exert a certain fairly substantial amount of pressure to get the case even sized enough to hold bullets in some of my rifles and I can't guess that. I'd be inconsistent were it not for the toggle over, but then maybe I'm just an insensitive guy!

By the way, whilst I sing the praises of these dies, my latest purchase for my 375 H&H was unpacked on the weekend and was not up to standard. The base of the collet (I think) - the part that contacts the shellholder - is cut way off square. It varies more that 1mm away from square with the highest point to the lowest. I noticed it as I screwed it down to the shellholder as it made contact on just one spot and not squarely or even nearly squarely.

Due to the design this is probably less of a big deal, as the collet rides up in a tight fitting sleeve, so probably can't really close unevenly, but I was like "jees, this is really badly done". I did check the runout by the way and with light sizing it was less than 1 thou, sizing heavily this increased quite markedly.

It's cheaper for me to have a friend turn it straight than ship it back to the US.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say "Lee's usual standard".... Anyway, was just saying and don't want to highjack this thread.

Last edited:
There seem to be several ideas as to whether or not you allow the press to toggle over - despite Lee's instructions.

I've been using mine for only about 6 months now, so I don't claim to be the expert, but after many internet searches and reading several comments regarding the dies mine are set up to allow the press to toggle over.

I believe that this is more accurate than trying to gauge a consistent 20 or 25 lb pressure which also provides no reliable area to stop.

I set mine up do that the press only just goes over and I only require very light pressure to do so (although of course with a compound press that could be a lot of pressure).

So far so good.

I broke a Rockchucker Press by togling over on a collet die with 100 pounds at the knob of the press handle.
But that could happen with any die that resisted my foolish power.

I now follow the instructions.
I polish the collet, collar, and mandrel in a lathe with fine abrasive paper.
If Redding had the patent, these things would be polished and cost 3 times as much.

When I first received my collet die for my 6-284 I was careful to follow the instructions but soon found that my die is not very picky. After many checks with a mic I figured out that if I push reasonably hard on the press(whatever that is) and it is sizing to the base of the neck, everything was very consistent. No need to toggle or exert consistent pressure. From an operators stand point this is the simplest die to run that I own and definately the best bang for the buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.