Labradar help

I've had mine for a little over a year. My opinions:

1. Get the Piet trigger. It will save you headaches, especially if shooting suppressed. You can set the unit wherever you want to and not worry about positioning properly to pick up shots. At my club our shooting tables are not long enough to set the LR up and place the muzzle properly, especially with longer barrels.
  2. I use the LR tabletop tripod and it works fine.
  3. I bought a picatinny rail adapter off eBay and a $20 red dot off Amazon for aiming.
  4. Use your phone/iPad for setting up shot series, arm/disarm, etc….using the phone/tablet allows you to input specific data for each string to use later. Examples below: I have cartridge/bullet/powder data showing and then I can input atmospheric data and specific notes even for each round fired.
  5. View attachment 416920
  6. Get an external battery.
  7. After running it in this configuration for a year, I will never return to a shoot through style chrono. Magnetospeed was never even a consideration for me for multiple reasons.

Mike D - please post a photo of your aiming setup for the labradar

Thanks, that's what I figured, close to $1000 depending on how much you pay for all the fixes and frustrations. That $800 is closer to $1000, than it is to much cheaper alternate chrono options, a couple I already own to measure rifles, pistols and arrows. Think I'll pass.
I get it. I just don't have the ideal set up I want. This will be that. I'm at 788.00 for the complete set up. Close to 800, yes. My Caldwell G2 is nice but requires much more set up and take down. I have issues with adjustment and readings also. Lots of no show velocities. This unit will do it all for all weapons and yes I'll need the archery trigger which isn't part of my set. Another 45.00 when I purchase it. I look at it like this. I had a perfectly good powder scale. Manual and accurate. I wanted a better, faster and less manual powder scale / measure. I bought the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Big money vs the manual scale. It was a good decision. I kinda look at this move to be the same. Hoping I'm as happy with the decision.

I'll have well under 800 in my set up and I paid 625.00 for the unit. Tripod, case, trigger and battery is what I've added. Remember, it's 2023 almost not 2020 anymore. Everything is much pricier today than ever.
I understand; that's why I noted when I purchased mine, along with the current price of LabRadar at $625. The average price of the LabRadar when I purchased mine was $599. Considering almost everything went up 30-40%, $625 is not too bad. The same is true for the items noted below.

JKL is still showing the same price, https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/

The sawhorse I used for the quadpod is now $19.97, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-29-in-Folding-Metal-Sawhorse-STST11154/309012756.

Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case is now $65, https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-orange-56866.html, but often has $10-15 coupons or is on sale.

2 Battery packs are still $25 each , https://buymylabradar.com/products/usb-rechargable-battery-pack

Thanks, that's what I figured, close to $1000 depending on how much you pay for all the fixes and frustrations. That $800 is closer to $1000, than it is to much cheaper alternate chrono options, a couple I already own to measure rifles, pistols and arrows. Think I'll pass.

I held off on a LR for a long time for many of the same reasons - but at this point, with my Magneto, I'm basically shooting twice the amount of ammo to measure data. The POI shift is something I don't want to continue dealing with (and I don't want to make or purchase costly rail adapters to position off the barrel). Couple that with the fact that I don't have any ranges within 45 min of me, I decided to take the plunge and go with the LR.

Also, shop around a bit. Sign up for ActiveJunky and get money back if you purchase through vendors such as Scheels. When I bought mine, it was $625, but they had a cardmember promo (like $25 off) and then I got an additional 8% back from ActiveJunky.

I understand; that's why I noted when I purchased mine, along with the current price of LabRadar at $625. The average price of the LabRadar when I purchased mine was $599. Considering almost everything went up 30-40%, $625 is not too bad. The same is true for the items noted below.

JKL is still showing the same price, https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/

The sawhorse I used for the quadpod is now $19.97, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-29-in-Folding-Metal-Sawhorse-STST11154/309012756.

Harbor Freight Apache 4800 case is now $65, https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-orange-56866.html, but often has $10-15 coupons or is on sale.

2 Battery packs are still $25 each , https://buymylabradar.com/products/usb-rechargable-battery-pack
Just got the 4800 for 65 minus the 10.00 coupon. 58+ OTD

I get it. I just don't have the ideal set up I want. This will be that. I'm at 788.00 for the complete set up. Close to 800, yes. My Caldwell G2 is nice but requires much more set up and take down. I have issues with adjustment and readings also. Lots of no show velocities. This unit will do it all for all weapons and yes I'll need the archery trigger which isn't part of my set. Another 45.00 when I purchase it. I look at it like this. I had a perfectly good powder scale. Manual and accurate. I wanted a better, faster and less manual powder scale / measure. I bought the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Big money vs the manual scale. It was a good decision. I kinda look at this move to be the same. Hoping I'm as happy with the decision.
Yes, that is exactly why I was considering buying a LR. I use my Caldwell G2 for pistol and arrows (which I rarely now measure their velocities), and my MagnetoSpeed with the new WiserPro attachment on my rifles which takes about 5-10 minutes to move from rifle to rifle and adjust. The new WiserPro is much improved over their original cumbersome adjustment design and you can purchase just their updated brackets making adjustments super easy now.

You're taking the cost out of context. If you want a LabRadar just shell out the $599-$625 and set it up as directed. You don't need anything else. The optional equipment is for guys who what that stuff but you don't need any of them. The only thing you'll "need" is a way to stand the unit up. Many posters here made their own stands from a piece of wood and a screw. It's not rocket science.

There is no other solution that is as easy to set up and will provide the most accurate info than the LR. You can get near and far velocities and when you log your environmental condition you can true drops with your actual velocity and actual environmental conditions in your ballistic app of choice.

When I go to Wyoming next year I will take my LR and do exactly that since environmentals and drops will be vastly different there than here in Texas.

You're taking the cost out of context. If you want a LabRadar just shell out the $599-$625 and set it up as directed. You don't need anything else. The optional equipment is for guys who what that stuff but you don't need any of them. The only thing you'll "need" is a way to stand the unit up. Many posters here made their own stands from a piece of wood and a screw. It's not rocket science.
Not rocket science to you, but there sure are a lot of LR owners posting on various Forums who can't figure out a solution to all their missed LR shots. My 2 chronos seem much easier to setup (LR software and placement) and more dependable to record all my shots and not record my neighbor's shots, not trigger, aim properly, etc, etc. Labradar appears to have a lot of headaches.

Not rocket science to you, but there sure are a lot of LR owners posting on various Forums who can't figure out a solution to all their missed LR shots. My 2 chronos seem much easier to setup (LR software and placement) and more dependable to record all my shots and not record my neighbor's shots, not trigger, aim properly, etc, etc. Labradar appears to have a lot of headaches.

There's something different for everyone. If you're happy with what you've got than I wouldn't spend the money on a LR. I really liked the Oehler 35P but it was a PITA to set up and adjust the screens, especially when other guys are using the range at the same time.

The LR solves that problem and has been very easy to use once I learned how to use it properly. However, I'm not of the position that it's for everyone. I just added my experience for those who are considering buying a LR and/or the various accessories that are being marketed for it.

Good luck with whatever unit(s) you're using and have a great holiday.

I will be going out tomorrow with a friend who has owned a LR for about 4 yrs now. If he can get it to work 3/5 shots on my 300NMI with 5 port brake I will be surprised. I have been advised to put the unit just ahead of the action 3-4 inches and 3-4 inches to the side. Any one else have any tricks?

Recent Posts