LabRadar question

I have a buddy who just bought the JKL trigger.

I was shooting suppressed, and had my rifle set up behind the Labradar like I always do when shooting suppressed. I have very good loads worked up with with low ES. Confirmed out to 1300-1500+ for drops across the three rifles I was shooting that day.

He asked me to test it with the mic. Results were weird. My velocities all jumped 12-14fps across 3 suppressed rifles with the mic. ES stayed where is usually is. Took the mic off, and fps returned to previously recorded speeds.

My Labradar very infrequently misses shots. Not enough to worry about. Maybe 1 in 200-300ish?

When you say "the mic", you're referring to their inertia trigger; correct? I understand that remote mics are available too.

Could the difference in velocity have been caused by the unit initiating a speed test at a slightly different point in the bullet's flight?

Last edited:
That's weird. The only way I could get Labradar to pick up suppressed shots was to place it in front of the suppressor, roughly 6 inches in front/6 inches to one side. Even then it would drop shots. That's the main reason I bought the trigger. Placement was a pain in the butt with a suppressor but with the trigger it's a non issue.

The JKL trigger is the only way to go. Be sure to change the settings to trigger (not doppler). I use their aiming device as well. It's no different than using a pen or straw, except it is appropriately attached to the LabRadar, so you don't have to jack with it, then aim. It's worth the few bucks it costs for sure.
It's hard to say which is worth more, not having to micro-adjust your bore/brake's alignment and the unit, or not dropping shots for no good reason. With the trigger, just set up your LabRadar next to your rifle 3 inches, 12 inches, doesn't matter. Aim the unit at the target, be sure to arm the unit and fire.
I remember struggling with a half-a-dozen little things in an attempt to get no dropped shots. After adding the trigger and sight, set-up takes maybe a minute, and I can shoot several guns, all day, in any light, cloud cover, shadows... in any situation, I get reliable data without hassle and no dropped shots.

I've found angling the labradar just a little to the left/right of the target, depending on the side your rifle is, reduces dropped shots, too. Angle it slightly toward your rifle muzzle.

I finally broke down and bought a LabRadar unit and all the trimmings. Once it was set up and all the proper settings entered it worked fairly well. I did, however, have a few missed shots for whatever reason. Just as a test, I plugged in the JKL trigger which was plugged in just below the power cord. I used the JKL magnetic holder to attach the device to the receiver. The magnet is very strong and it holds tight.

Took a single shot and got no reading. Is there any special setting that should be used on the LabRadar when using the JKL trigger?
Lots of good advice here but to make sure the recoil trigger is working and setting are correct just test it by holding it by the cable and give it a light tap. It should trigger but no reading message

Lots of good advice here but to make sure the recoil trigger is working and setting are correct just test it by holding it by the cable and give it a light tap. It should trigger but no reading message
What a good idea!! I tried it and it worked as you described. I guess the problem was just "operator error" on day #1 with the new LabRadar unit.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback from everyone.

What a good idea!! I tried it and it worked as you described. I guess the problem was just "operator error" on day #1 with the new LabRadar unit.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback from everyone.
VH I just used my Labradar yesterday after a break of a couple of months. With the JKL trigger worked a treat then no readings???

"Operator error" you see I velcroed my trigger to a QD slig swivel. Works really well until you forget to attach it! Ha ha! I was rotating amongst 3 rifles to let them cool. When attached works brilliantly!

The alignment thing is a furphy! It's just not that critical anymore with the JKL trigger!

I found the magnet to be easier than the velcro. Generally attach it to the action. Works great until I forget to attach it to the next gun!