LabRadar question

Varmint Hunter

I finally broke down and bought a LabRadar unit and all the trimmings. Once it was set up and all the proper settings entered it worked fairly well. I did, however, have a few missed shots for whatever reason. Just as a test, I plugged in the JKL trigger which was plugged in just below the power cord. I used the JKL magnetic holder to attach the device to the receiver. The magnet is very strong and it holds tight.

Took a single shot and got no reading. Is there any special setting that should be used on the LabRadar when using the JKL trigger?

Last edited:
I've never used any special settings with my JKL trigger. I believe that when you plug it in, it should recognize that an external trigger is plugged in and disable the internal microphones. Mine works awesome on everything from heavy magnums to suppressed .22LR. Possible that you got a bad one or didn't plug it in all the way?

I've never used any special settings with my JKL trigger. I believe that when you plug it in, it should recognize that an external trigger is plugged in and disable the internal microphones. Mine works awesome on everything from heavy magnums to suppressed .22LR. Possible that you got a bad one or didn't plug it in all the way?
Doesn't disable the internal microphones on mine, because if I forget to attach the JKL magnet sensor to my rifle, LabRadar still records my bullet velocity.

From the manual:

• Trigger : Use the internal microphones built in the product's enclosure or an external Trigger device.
• Doppler : Uses the Signal returned from the projectile to Trigger the unit: (Use of this mode should be considered with large projectiles travelling at slow speed only). Do not use this mode for Firearms, it will affect the precision of the measurements.

My LabRadar will occionally drop a reading for no obvious reason. Sometimes the screen/unit has rotated slightly, presumably from the muzzle brake blast, but sometimes I am unable to determine why. I attribute it to cyber gremlins!!

I finally broke down and bought a LabRadar unit and all the trimmings. Once it was set up and all the proper settings entered it worked fairly well. I did, however, have a few missed shots for whatever reason. Just as a test, I plugged in the JKL trigger which was plugged in just below the power cord. I used the JKL magnetic holder to attach the device to the receiver. The magnet is very strong and it holds tight.

Took a single shot and got no reading. Is there any special setting that should be used on the LabRadar when using the JKL trigger?
Do you have a sight device? Either a 3D printed one or a ball point pen body taped to the top. This helps greatly. Lastly, with the LR to the side ~18" away, but set-up according the your muzzle device (if any), aim the LR slightly to the opposite side of your target that the LR is sitting on. If the LR is on your right, then it should be aimed to the left of the target. This ensures the bullet will cross the doppler radar.

Do you have a sight device? Either a 3D printed one or a ball point pen body taped to the top. This helps greatly. Lastly, with the LR to the side ~18" away, but set-up according the your muzzle device (if any), aim the LR slightly to the opposite side of your target that the LR is sitting on. If the LR is on your right, then it should be aimed to the left of the target. This ensures the bullet will cross the doppler radar.
I used the pen body for aiming as I was shooting on the 400yd line. The pen really does help with alignment. I had the LabRadar set up on the bench and 6" from the muzzle. I shot a rifle with a side discharge brake and another with no brake. I move the Labradar accordingly.

Most of the shots that I missed were because the unit automatically disarmed itself and I wasn't paying constant attention to it. Other misses seemed random. Next week I'll try the JKL again. If it doesn't work I'll call the company. I prefer the remote trigger if it works as well as posters have indicated.

The Apache case from Harbor Freight worked out pretty well.

Apache Case.jpg

Last edited:
From memory it's about 15"x18"x7.5. I'd have to check for the exact dimensions. The case is deeper then needed. A 6" depth would have fit better but it all easily fits and the cost was only $60.

Since the image was taken I added the JKL trigger, magnet & wire with no problem.

They also have a smaller case that was $30 but the LabRadar would have been tight., barely fitting from top to bottom IMO.