Labradar accurate or hype?

Another reason I prove what I'm thinking when shooting over a chronograph my most recent load I developed I got more speed with a quarter grain less powder see what I mean running more efficient less fuel but more speed and my ES was 8
IMG_6008.jpeg

I have a 300 PRC with a 22'' Proof barrel with a Radial Break, I am using 230gr Hornady A-Tips for development , The FPS are all over the place. I have had the unit 6'' from end of the barrel to back to the scope. The speeds could be 2790 2795 2830 2815- the next round might be 2775 2780 2785 2810, Then I ran some 225gr Hornady Match NEW in box to see if Factory is better and got a 2677 2733 2709. When I am reloading ,I have 3 different scales to make dam sure the powder is the same. On the factory Ammo being MATCH AMMO I would think speeds would be closer. Where is the Problem ?

EDITED:
Now that I reread your post, I see it's not a Labradar defect. Your load happens to have high ES/SD.

Back to the reloading bench...

Last edited:
Also if your brass isn't the exact same dimensions you can have variations so section depth will be affected. And neck tensions that can also have a slight variations in your speed.
Add these things together and you can be up n down on your velocities. That's why we all strive for single SD's.
They don't just grow on trees.
One thing I have learned from these guys here is brass prep and absolutely the best consistency I can achieve.
Bakers analogy= Good stuff in good stuff comes out.

But if were the same amount of powder, would it be a consistent speed ?
It usually makes for consistent results, but not necessarily. I think efficiency in burn is what 338 Dude is referring to.

Most of the time, a powder charge that is near 100% case fill will burn most efficiently and consistently. Sometimes being out of a "node" will produce terrible ES and SD. Above or below this point may produce erratic pressures and therefore, velocities, neither of which is conducive to long range shooting.

Last edited: